Cyberpunk Short Film Theater

+
I'll proceed to extract some of the links of videos "curated" by MadqueenShow.
Mech: Human Trials by Patrick Kalyn

I would swear I've seen this one before, I don't think it's just deja vu, and by the date of this short film, it probably isn't. Pretty good photography, okay-ish CGI, an open ended conclusion... A synopsis would give it away.

The Nostalgist by Giacomo Cimini

This one I liked a lot. It's apparently based on a Daniel H. Wilson short story. I won't spoil it for you so let's just say that you have... like two aesthetic flavours of cyberpunk in the same short film. One is more neo-victorian much in the vein of steampunk or the Diamond Age and the other one is a more typically dark and gritty cyberpunk.

Prism by Jackson Miller

This is more of a quirky science fantasy with some dystopian and cyberpunk elements and visuals. The premise of colour being used to power a city is rather silly. Maybe they could have changed it to something more... typical, like make it about the psychological reasons of why the absence of colour is what keeps this drab dystopia "running", but then it may have not been as thematic. The acting is pretty decent, especially, in my opinion, the part of John Eddings as old man Edmund.

Bodymod by Hinny Tran

I'm not sure what to make of this one. It's about cybernetics as a fashion statement... but not quite the way CP2020 does it to my knowledge. The acting is a bit wooden, the writing is a bit cringy and all its characters are pretty much the vain even pretentious model/artist that I don't like one bit... Still, if you want to take a look maybe you'll get something out of it.

Lost Boy by Ash Thorp and Anthony Scorr Burns.

The aesthetics remind me a lot of Tsutomu Nihei's worlds. Cool cyborg designs. Simple story. Highly recommended.

Shifter by the Hallivis Brothers.

[video=youtube;sxgxUtGHF-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxgxUtGHF-c[/video]
Holographic interfaces straight out of Minority Report, clone-body swapping and actors that look the physique for somewhat interesting action shots. I just wish there was a bit more effort on the narrative side to know what Stryker's mission actually was.

X-STORY by Vitaliy Shusko.

This one seems more inspired by classic anime and videogames (like Cyborg 009 and Megaman Legends) than cyberpunk, from which it barely even has some very tangential elements at the beginning and end. What it is, though, is a very enjoyable and absolutely stunning animated short that also has the touch of sci fi adventure French comics.

Should we put the three short films for Blade Runner 2049 here, or is that for another place here?

Blade Runner 2049 - "2048: Nowhere to Run" Short

Blade Runner 2049 - "2036: Nexus Dawn" Short

Blade Runner 2049 - "Black Out 2022" Anime Short

Last edited:
Overdosing;n9629601 said:
Should we put the three short films for Blade Runner 2049 here, or is that for another place here?

Blade Runner 2049 - "2048: Nowhere to Run" Short

Blade Runner 2049 - "2036: Nexus Dawn" Short

Blade Runner 2049 - "Black Out 2022" Anime Short

If nothing else at least Black Out should definitely be here. There's no reason why a commercial product shouldn't be here. Can you believe I haven't watched it yet???

Thanks for your post!

[h=1]「ブレイカー」BREAKER by Philippe McKie[/h]

A very new, visually interesting cyberpunk short, though a bit cliched in terms of plot. The visuals, as I said are appealing, taking a lot after Shinjuku style of fashion, though some of the aesthetic and fashion choices make it a bit difficult to read the action... and even the characters.

Decatonkeil;n9937231 said:
[h=1]「ブレイカー」BREAKER by Philippe McKie[/h]

A very new, visually interesting cyberpunk short, though a bit cliched in terms of plot. The visuals, as I said are appealing, taking a lot after Shinjuku style of fashion, though some of the aesthetic and fashion choices make it a bit difficult to read the action... and even the characters.

It's GITS in 10 minutes. But it's not bad actually.

Battle Angel Alita Fan-Made Trailer by Kevin "Amish" Ivers

What with the Alita: Battle Angel oficial live action adaptation movie by James Cameron and Robert Rodriguez getting a pretty controversial trailer as of late (it looks like it has the potential to be somewhat interesting, as it seems to take a lot from the anime movie that adapted the early chapters of the manga... but those giant eyes are very off putting and unnecessary), I thought this fan made trailer from a year ago could have some views.

The acting is pretty bad, but the look, though pretty low budget, I find very charming and evocative of the 90s and all that... PlayStation 1 aesthetic.

Augmented by Ross Peacock
This short takes a similar premise to the whole interceptor debacle in GITS SAC and expands on it with its own interesting twists. It manages to pull off the heavy exposition in a somewhat convincing and not very forced manner and it's all around pretty effective.

Tears in the Rain by Masanori Yamaguchi
It's just an audiovisual piece homaging Blade Runner. It consists of music by Go Hiyama inspired by Vangelis and a visual makeover overlay on shots of current day Tokio.

And yet another...

Tears In The Rain by Christopher Grant Harvey
This one doesn't do much new, but it's a nice effort to capture the gumshoe feel and the atmosphere of the original Blade Runner, as well as using some of its motifs like, well, replicants and their fake memories and ephemeral lives, reality and the ersatz animals. I'm not sure I like the way the Voight-Kampff is portrayed in it as it seems it has some kind of "suggestion power" over would be replicants... kinda like those killswitch phrases... and I think that's not what the test is supposed to be, but oh, well.

Rise by David Karlak
[video=youtube;-3fu2273-DQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3fu2273-DQ&t=187s[/video]
Same old story about a rise of the opressed machines, but the special effects are excellent and there's that guy from The Man on the High Castle. It seems there was also a VR version, but I don't know where it can be experienced if anywhere at all at the moment.

Sync by Hazraf Dulull
In order to protect sensitive corporate data from attack while being delivered through the net, this corporation has created a robot part Johnny Mnemonic part Terminator. What could go wrong?

I.R.I.S. also by Hazraf Dulull
This one about also a somewhat overused topic, that of an AI overlord overseeing drones.

Top Bottom