Cyberpunk 2077 - History of the World [Lore]

+
Cyberpunk 2077 - History of the World [Lore]

Hi,
I recently finished a new Cyberpunk lore video where I talk about the entire history of the universe going from the early 1990s and all the way to 2077. I am interested to hear what do you think about this.

Ok... The universe doesn't have any story beyond 2025 (CP2020), 2027 (alternative universe of Cybergeneration), 2030s (Cyber "Mike Should be Ashamed" Punk v3) :) And I'm 99% (ok, 97%) sure the original timeline from PnP game landed in the trash can and the CP2077 lore will be heavily rooted in our timeline with original lore used as an inspiration. But, as always, a solid video. Good to have you with us, LKM :)

atomowyturysta;n10850211 said:
Ok... The universe doesn't have any story beyond 2025 (CP2020), 2027 (alternative universe of Cybergeneration), 2030s (Cyber "Mike Should be Ashamed" Punk v3) :) And I'm 99% (ok, 97%) sure the original timeline from PnP game landed in the trash can and the CP2077 lore will be heavily rooted in our timeline with original lore used as an inspiration. But, as always, a solid video. Good to have you with us, LKM :)

Doubt it. They said the 4th Corp War still happened, and both Night City and its neighboorhoods seem to be in.

What is likely to be updated however is the art style, which they said will be futuristic by our standards, unlike 2020's now retrofuturistic one.

Last edited:
atomowyturysta;n10850211 said:

Thank you!

I delayed a "bit" watching this on the false assumption it would include some "non cannon" lore covering 2026-2077 ... my mistake.
Good job !

I'm going to be REALLY curious to see what Mike and CDPR come up with to fill in the timeline.

Suhiira;n10862761 said:
I delayed a "bit" watching this on the false assumption it would include some "non cannon" lore covering 2026-2077 ... my mistake.
Good job !

I'm going to be REALLY curious to see what Mike and CDPR come up with to fill in the timeline.

Nope, everything in the video is from the source books, I didn't add anything on my own. I am also interested to see how is this going to look like.

SigilFey;n10882401 said:
World peace.

My guess he/they are not "filling" the timeline. The best move would be to put the whole timelime into the future, changing one thing here two things there and getting rid of one thing here and there. The "Collapse" in PnP happened in 1994-6, in cp77 it could happen somwhere in 2030s, SouAm war in 2040s and IV Corp War in 2060s. The lore would be familiar and rooted in our reality, not totally disconected as the PnP lore is. But that's my educated guess.

Not how the license they got works. Cdprojectred has 2077 and forward for their cyberpunk games. Mike Pondsmith retains the rights to everything before 2077.

GinWashi;n10883211 said:
Not how the license they got works. Cdprojectred has 2077 and forward for their cyberpunk games. Mike Pondsmith retains the rights to everything before 2077.

Yes, but I still won't believe Mike will keep his original timeline, as it is awful (ish) and is totally disconnected from today's world, and Reds mentioned several times that our timeline will be reflected in the game. In originam, Mike's timline, our times ended in 1990. And again. Cyberpunk 2020 history ended in 2025. There's still 52 fictional years to write after previous 35 fictional years. That's beyond pointless. If original timeline was to be preserved there would be no reason to set the game in 2077. 2030 would have sufficed.
But we'll see.

No the original timeline will be kept, in talking about Cyberpunk red he has talked about updating its tech not changing the timeline. As for setting the game in 2030 instead of 2077 that would give Mike only 5 years for any further cyberpunk books to put out. Mike is a great storyteller and giving him 50 years to tell the story of how we got to how the world looks in the 2077 game from the aftermath of the 4th corporate war and Deep space.

Mikes Cyberpunk world diverged from the "real" world starting around 1980, so events after that time may, and often do, differ greatly from what happened in the "real" world. As I understand it Mike retains control of the timeline until 2076 at which time it belongs to CDPR. While CDPR is under no obligation (as I understand it) to use Mikes timeline they, and Mike, are going out of their way to try to do so for the sake of consistency.

Yes, they plan to retrofit a few things (smart phones for instance) but there are no plans to make the timeline as a whole conform to "reality".

From what I understand, the original timeline, sadly including the events of firestorm and V3, remain, and in the interim between V3 and 2077, there is some kind of worldwide rvdnt, that resets the tech level to 2020 standards.

This may or may not be the place to post this, and I apologize in advance if I have committed such a faux pas. I am, however, curious to know if we have any bits of lore which I could narrate as I very much enjoy doing such things.

Trendane;n10952636 said:
This may or may not be the place to post this, and I apologize in advance if I have committed such a faux pas. I am, however, curious to know if we have any bits of lore which I could narrate as I very much enjoy doing such things.
There's lots of stuff in the sidebars and main text in the main rulebook and several of the sourcebooks.

Suhiira;n10953407 said:
There's lots of stuff in the sidebars and main text in the main rulebook and several of the sourcebooks.

Lovely! Thank you so much. I'll see if I can find those!

Top Bottom