Why is CDPR reducing all the flavour of the game (Card Names)?

+
I have to agree with the criticism this time. I have played two games and the feeling is awful. Deck builder merger is a good idea but really clumsily executed, but that is a minor nuisance i would get used to.

The game itself is by far the biggest issue. It is glimmery, with so many unnecessary and annoying popups and effects. The cards look uglier and more childish,cartoonish, it just doesn't feel like something placed in a dark world of witcher. I mean the card where a man's hand is being amputated really shouldnt have glimmer and greenish pluses when boosted.

The worst of it is that all this was done not because community wanted it or to make the game better, or because developers believe it is an improvement but to make it mobile friendly. And that is just an example of greedy expansion that i really was hoping a company like cdpr would avoid taking.

I would like the old UI back, but i am really not sure if that is doable only as an option. It seems a lot of it got integrated far deeper than just the "theme". Hope i am wrong though.

This is REALLY disappointing, some of these feel completely pointless- there is no way "King Bran" is too long a name for mobile. Nor is that any way confusing. CDPR is gutting the flavor of their own game which is one of its strongest features.

There are ways they can adjust long names for mobile. For example, shortened versions on the gameboard, full names in the card viewer. Just gutting the names feels and looks bad for new players and old players. This is one of the most disappointing changes from the patch.

I feel like the upcoming mobile version is ruining the game. I never asked for a phone version and were perfectly happy just playing on my pc vs other conole/pc players. This just feels greedy as hell and Cd Project is turning into the type of company I dislike that cares more about being the next "hearthstone" than making a good cardgame. I were planing to introduce a friend to the game but since I'm now losing interest in my favorite card game I see no reason to and another buddy of mine already stopped playing.

nobody606;n10030261 said:
Looking at the card names on the PTR made me sad, especially the leaders.

Crach an Craite is only Crach now. Then there's only Bran, who sounds like some sort cornflakes without his title. And then all the other named cards: Tibor Eggebracht is only Tibor, Leo Bonhart is just Bonhart now and a lot other names got butchered too and lost the family or first name.

Why CDPR? These changes make me so sad.

CDPR rates the game for 12 year olds to play, their reading comprehension is lower than an adult, but the nag factor on their parent's credit cards makes them more profitable

This is by far my biggest problem with the update. I'm okay with the gameplay changes, even the simplifications of some card abilities is okay to make the game more casual friendly. BUT I loved the full names on the cards. They gave all the cards more character and flavour. I'm currently reading the books and whenever a character appears in the books that i recognize from gwent i get so happy when i get to read about their story. It enhanced the experience of both reading the books and playing the game. This made all the cards into something more than just cards, they became characters.

Now Yarpen Zigrin is just Yarpen, Leo Bonhart is Bonhart, Brouver Hoog, is Brouver, Sabrina Glevissig is Sabrina.
And by far the worst namechange is renaming Saesenthessis to SASKIA: DESTROYER! WHY! Saesenthessis is her real name.

And regarding the name shortening to make it fit on mobile screen, Villentretenmerth is still in the game soo...

Also the special cards like Mardroeme, Bloodcurdling roar and Stammelford's tremors being renamed is less of a problem but still very disappointing.

However there are some good renames, like Earth elemental now is D'ao wich is the correct name for a elemental earth genie from the witcher universe.

All in all this is an extremely disappointing change to the game (for me) and i hope they change it back or give us an option to keep the old names.

And add back the artists names to the collection, they deserve to have their names next to such amazing artwork!

having played all the Witcher games and a lot of gwent. I don't see the outage on some card name changes.

As a huge fan of the Witcher series, having read all the books and comics as well as played all three games, I would have to agree. It would be a travesty for them to continue with these unnecessarily shortened names.

Card Name Changes?

Hi, just looking for an official answer as to why many cards were renamed / shortened in the last patch?

I mean why change Mardroeme (which is a cool lore name) to Mushrooms? Why remove the surnames of all significant character cards?

I enjoyed the new patch for the most part, but aside from some obvious balance issues and the RNG-fest certain decks have become, the name changes to cards killed a certain amount of the immersion for me.

I liked full named cards. Is there any chance we can get this back as a toggle-able menu option?

The thing is, the argument that "We've shortened it for consistency / future mobile port" kinda falls down a bit when you have Mahakam Marauder, Alzur's Double-Cross, Artefact Compression, etc (the list goes on, there are many, many long named cards still in the game) which have as many, if not more, characters than the named character cards.

I hope it was just an oversight that they are gonna correct in a patch because as it is, it kinda sucks :(

Guest 4021160

Jezaboom2;n10083351 said:
CDPR rates the game for 12 year olds to play, their reading comprehension is lower than an adult, <---- yes, seems like truth.
but the nag factor on their parent's credit cards makes them more profitable <----- [facepalm] just stop, ok? Please stop.

Game was butchered for mobile platforms. Next thing to castrate after lore - is gameplay, because its too hard for mobile users. Gwent 2019 will be simplified like HS game now LUL.

To throw my 5 Cents in: I am goddamn sure I am not playing Gwent via my cell phone, but for each his own.

I find the butchering of the names dull as well, making the lore of the game to look kinda incomplete and way, way less appealing to care about whoever character. Prime example is Just Eist.

partci;n10173652 said:
To throw my 5 Cents in: I am goddamn sure I am not playing Gwent via my cell phone, but for each his own.

I find the butchering of the names dull as well, making the lore of the game to look kinda incomplete and way, way less appealing to care about whoever character. Prime example is Just Eist.

Seems that some other major company *cough cough* managed to keep long names and "clan" names in their cards, in order to add more depth to the game :
Gwent card name : Bran --- That other game : https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.ne...2827214%29.png
King Bran was too confusing to new players. They might log in gwent and believe they are playing chess and get dizzy and confused.

Changed clan names into generic "clan".
Gwent card names : Clan something --- That other game :
https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.ne...%287728%29.png
https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.ne...e%28130%29.png
https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.ne...e%28138%29.png
etc etc

Also, what happens if you wanna add one an Craite warrior and one Tuirseach warrior after update? Gonna name the 2nd one clan warrior v2.0? Very shortsighted changes.

PS. As someone with past experience in game development, do you know what we called names like "Clan warrior", "Human hunter", etc? We called them placeholders. If any dev happens to read this, will know what i mean.

RVG1926;n10175162 said:
Seems that some other major company *cough cough* managed to keep long names and "clan" names in their cards, in order to add more depth to the game :
Gwent card name : Bran --- That other game : https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.ne...2827214%29.png
King Bran was too confusing to new players. They might log in gwent and believe they are playing chess and get dizzy and confused.

The Hearthstone one does not really work considering that this is the same company that printed Deathwing: Dragonlord when Deathwing's original name, Neltharion, would have been a far more fitting name with that title and it would have avoided having two cards named Deathwing.

But I will agree that I dislike the simplification of many of the names.

TriforceDragon;n10177892 said:
The Hearthstone one does not really work considering that this is the same company that printed Deathwing: Dragonlord when Deathwing's original name, Neltharion, would have been a far more fitting name with that title and it would have avoided having two cards named Deathwing.

But I will agree that I dislike the simplification of many of the names.

I agree about the Deathwing part :) There was no need to add 2nd Deathwing instead of adding him pre-old god corruption. (Neltharion the Earth-Warder)
But i guess CDPR liked it though, and removed Saesenthessis for another Saskia : something.

Top Bottom