Why is CDPR reducing all the flavour of the game (Card Names)?

+
I'm guessing it's to confusing for the new children they are trying to lure in with the game making it look like a hearthstone parody rather than gwent. Easy fix would be just put it in the options to select full named cards.

This is a very disappointing change which sacrifices the lore's integrity and unique Witcher style for the sake of casual populism.

Moreover, there are still LOTS of cards with long names (more characters) than those already affected, which makes the change even more questionable.

This transition is a major part in changes which falter Gwent to feel like an average card game with bright pictures and forever not like a immense Witcher Universe game.

I can only hope that this is a visible enough issue and that CDPR is listening. I have much respect for them as a developer so maybe our concerns will not go unaddressed.

So they changed "Leo Bonhart" to "Bonhart" to make the name shorter and left "Alzur's Double–Cross" unchanged.
I really don't get it.

Besides, when talking about a mobile version, one would look at the card image, not read its name or description.

Rumour has it that "Woodland Spirit" is going to be changed to "Creepy Tree".
It's more kids friendly and shorter obviously.

Don't want this issue to fall by the wayside. Lets try and keep the topic alive so CDPR notices it and at least tells us why the names were changed. I know there's a fair amount of conjecture from people but I would love an actual response from a CDPR person.

Last edited:
I think the characters and the story of The Witcher are unique and non common to card games. Cutting down names - we don't know exactly the reason why- reduces the magic of the game. Devs should say a couple of words about this.
The idea of selecting the options "Full lenght names" for pc users is good.

Last edited:
I actually liked the longer names, they were anchoring the characters in the wolrd of witcher. Also, why did the artist's names dissapeare from the cards? Why aren't they being credited for their work? Is it because it's a beta and so unfinished and some maybe don't want to associated with as of yet unfinished product? The art is also something that drew me in, so I would like to know who the artists are

And not only the names. Have you seen the flavour texts of the latest cards?

take a look and you will see how many "funny" flavour texts are being implemented lately. Í'm not against a comical relief here and there, but too many of them break the inmersion.

The first thing í thought when i saw the cards in the CB was "finally, serious flavour texts again!". Coming from hearthstone that was a nice change from the "everything is a joke" philosophy in HS.

i guess with the inclusion of more RNG in each set of cards, and more jokes in the flavour texts is pretty clear the aim CDPR is taking

Fully agree with everyone here. Shortened names was the thing that pissed me off the most from the last patch. All right, you are trying to make everything more casual-friendly, but please understand that these "casuals" are not some lower life form, they want flavorful names too, they can remember that the card is named King Bran or Mardroeme (Mushrooms sounds like some kind of filler name). Hell, i'm a casual too, started playing like 2 months ago, when the Saovine event was still running. And if all of this was done because of the mobile version then there is a great solution that people were suggesting in this topic - let PC users choose what names they want. This is a serious issue, even if you don't think so, that can ruin the game experience for some people. Please, CDPR, listen to us and bring back our full card names and artists names.

Three_Orens;n10203592 said:
Fully agree with everyone here. Shortened names was the thing that pissed me off the most from the last patch. All right, you are trying to make everything more casual-friendly, but please understand that these "casuals" are not some lower life form, they want flavorful names too, they can remember that the card is named King Bran or Mardroeme (Mushrooms sounds like some kind of filler name). Hell, i'm a casual too, started playing like 2 months ago, when the Saovine event was still running. And if all of this was done because of the mobile version then there is a great solution that people were suggesting in this topic - let PC users choose what names they want. This is a serious issue, even if you don't think so, that can ruin the game experience for some people. Please, CDPR, listen to us and bring back our full card names and artists names.

I cannot endorse this post enough! :) Casuals are not some lower life form and probably many of them have played The Witcher 3. Bring back the correct names for cards.

With such fiery resistance of the community against this change, CDPR actually is thinking about changing the card names back. Nothing definitive yet; just mere whispers.

EDIT: I was looking around for the source. It was suppose to be mentioned in a fan stream, but I cannot find it. I'll put the above in the rumor mill, for now.

EDIT 2: Ah, there it is. Thanks bilbo.baggins.

Last edited:
4RM3D;n10226722 said:
With such fiery resistance of the community against this change, CDPR actually is thinking about changing the card names back. Nothing definitive yet; just mere whispers.

EDIT: I was looking around for the source. It was suppose to be mentioned in a fan stream, but I cannot find it. I'll put the above in the rumor mill, for now.

I certainly hope so. This would bring me many, many happies :) More happies than even balancing out certain archetypes made overstrong by the patch (but we won't go there, keep thread on topic).

4RM3D;n10226722 said:

It's not a rumor. Burza said that yesterday during his twitch stream. I watched the stream for half an hour and was really happy i caught that tidbit ( of course he didn't say it's happening for certain, just to clarify ).

bilbo.baggins;n10229822 said:
It's not a rumor. Burza said that yesterday during his twitch stream. I watched the stream for half an hour and was really happy i caught that tidbit ( of course he didn't say it's happening for certain, just to clarify ).

Realy ? i get my Blue Mountain Commando back????????? hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this is true, then it's excellent news. Time to get rid of these beta placeholder names like clan warrior, elf hunter and replace them with actual lore names.

​​​​​​

RVG1926;n10231352 said:
If this is true, then it's excellent news. Time to get rid of these beta placeholder names like clan warrior, elf hunter and replace them with actual lore names.

​​​​​​

Indeed. It's quite strange how attached I became to the longer character names. I'm sure everyone else in this thread feels the same. I mean it's just not as fun to draw Djenge with Crach for a massive point swing when I can't see his full name on the board. Speaking of that, why is Djenge still "Djenge Frett" but Crach is no longer "Crach an Craite"?

It makes no sense.

Change half the cards with long names, but don't change the other half?

Everything that could be said about the issue has been at this point but I think it's important to give this thread a little bump now and again to keep it visible.

If we could get an official response from CDPR that said "yeah, we messed up, we're putting the names back to how they were" that would be awesome.

Top Bottom