My Thoughts About the Midwinter Patch

+
This is concerning...

I'm no pro enough to discuss the combat changes just yet, eager to see the respond from those pro players about it tho. I do worry about seeing many mechnic just gone to no where tho, but again we will have to wait to se the impact

However.
The name change and lack of premiere version of cards are concerning.
Name change was really really unnesseary. Even for mobile platform, you will have to tell whether a card is from which catagory one way or another, “Crach An Crate” and “Crach” with an crate category doesn't really make mich difference, because for someone who doesn't know their card can tell the an crate category without howering the card and check.
Lack of “moving” cards. There is just way too many cards without their animated version. And with other changes, I just feel like CDPR rushed this patch (how long did PTR last? 3 days?), which CDPR was known for not rushing even risking delay.

I like short names. Skirmishers are skirmishers. Fact that they belong to a particular clan or a faction is only secondary matter.

Good point, had a few Premiums today and realised that they are just the same versions. Although, this gives me hope, maybe after rushing the patch they will roll it back and consider changes they made more carefully?

My Thoughts About the Midwinter Patch

my thread eailer is about me still waiting and looking to see if the new patch is good....and after ONE game in new patch...wowwwww...I want to say I never doubted CDPR's decision and believed there always will be reasons, but this rushed patch is the WORST thing CDPR ever do to customers.

BUGS, BUGS everywhere.
Like I said I played only 1 game in new patch, but wow the amount of problems I found is just way too overwhelming for my trust to CDPR. I will list them.
I played NG reveal deck, and here we are:

1.Spotter no longer works on gold units. It is said in the patch note, true, but it is NOWHERE on card's description. It is still "a revealed unit", you can't expect everyone to watch all the patch notes 1 by 1.

2.Speaking of which, the "patch note" in game is still the october patch when I open it.

3.Vattier's description has been changed but he does EXACTLY the same as before.

Original description: "Reveal up to 2 cards in your hand, then reveal same number of opponent cards.
New description: "Reveal 2 cards in your hand, then reveal 2 cards of opponent.
And no change to vattier in patch note except strength, so WHY change the description to a more misleading one????

4.Conseal. Henry's conseal ability is suppose to damage enemy by 2, but NOWHERE does it explain what happen to enemy units that are below or equal to 2 str. I test it myself and found out it will remain as 1 str, but again NOWHERE, not patch notes, not in stream, not in game, NOWHERE does it actually explain the mechnic, which is bad.

5.Where the animation and sound between picking cards and playing cards are now replace with awkward slience. Before, when you play your card, there will be animation and sound about the card placing on the board, and now even tho it may takes the same time to play the cards, there is a gap where the game does nothing at all and make the game feel so not fluent.

6.Summoned units. Now with full agility, all the cards that are played automatically just wildly appear anywhere. This is uncalled for and is totally the bad part of RNG.

So yeah, this rushed patch is really the most disappointed thing CDPR ever did for customers, the fact that there exist a PTR for only a bit longer than a DAY and CDPR failed to respond to the players and rushed the patch with at least 30+ cards without animation is just so horrible. I am one step away from regretting my purchases in gwent and about to refrain myself from any further purchase (even thronebreaker), which I happily did just to support CDPR. This is just sad and I hope CDPR can fix this before the reputation go down with it.

And btw, the holiday patch is really not that a good deal, especially since the "premiere" epic I got doesn't really has animation, and the price per keg+ dust price isn't really a good deal if you compare with 70keg price and normal dust price.

I hope I am not too over reacting...but honestly, CDPR NEVER failed to deliver before and I have been aruond since witcher1....they NEVER disappoint their customer even before they close the battle arena game...until THIS.

With the problems I mentioned and just so much inconsistency in uncalled name change, this is just alerting to say the least.

It's like a craft master did everything great and bragged about his new creation, and then delivered something he made when he is entirely drunk

Overeaction is an understatement. Lets start first start by reminding you this is a Beta, problems are inevitable.

1. Yes, the card needs rewording to reflect change.
2. Meh....
3. Theyre tidying up. If you look at alot of cards they have been reworded... its a beta, expect more.
4. Did you really expect to be able to kill enemy unit in hand? I did myself try it. Wasnt expecting it to work.
5. Not noticed myself, hardly gamebreaking.
6. I dont agree with the all agile cards change.

Sounds like you could have come on here with a few suggestions rather than just moaned. When i first started reading i thought maybe you have found game breaking problems but youre moaning about word changes and little oversights. If you cant handle such change i domt think you should be participating in a Beta.

Jbroughton88;n10047271 said:
Overeaction is an understatement. Lets start first start by reminding you this is a Beta, problems are inevitable.

1. Yes, the card needs rewording to reflect change.
2. Meh....
3. Theyre tidying up. If you look at alot of cards they have been reworded... its a beta, expect more.
4. Did you really expect to be able to kill enemy unit in hand? I did myself try it. Wasnt expecting it to work.
5. Not noticed myself, hardly gamebreaking.
6. I dont agree with the all agile cards change.

Sounds like you could have come on here with a few suggestions rather than just moaned. When i first started reading i thought maybe you have found game breaking problems but youre moaning about word changes and little oversights. If you cant handle such change i domt think you should be participating in a Beta.

The point being this patch was never suppose to be released when in this state. You can't pull the “this is beta” excuse when the game being beta the entire time and CDPR never accepted such unfinished product to publish .

The point being the game is a step back in the patch, they had PTR to test it out, but publish it anyway within days even when the negative responds are all valid and massive. They had the time to see the problems and fix it, but they didn't even try it.

This is something I never expect CDPR would do, thus the overaction.

When people were complaining that some of the new cards were unclear as to how their abilities worked, one of the devs responded by saying that they're now taking more of an approach of using fewer words to describe cards effects, and instead letting people play it to figure out how it works. This is absolutely maddening, especially since there's no refund grace period for crafted cards if they don't work the way you expected them to. I've personally burnt a lot of scrap "figuring out how it works" and it's really frustrating, especially when you're a new player with limited resources. I can't even begin to understand how they self justify this practice, but it's one of their most irksome decisions.

lakired;n10047531 said:
When people were complaining that some of the new cards were unclear as to how their abilities worked, one of the devs responded by saying that they're now taking more of an approach of using fewer words to describe cards effects, and instead letting people play it to figure out how it works. This is absolutely maddening, especially since there's no refund grace period for crafted cards if they don't work the way you expected them to. I've personally burnt a lot of scrap "figuring out how it works" and it's really frustrating, especially when you're a new player with limited resources. I can't even begin to understand how they self justify this practice, but it's one of their most irksome decisions.

true this. If CDPR is planning on attracting new players / returned players, they have made an extremely bad first impression

Gotta say im pleased about changes overall, Deck builder, muligan and general smoothness of the game is welcomed. Im glad of how quick they added the expansion but some of your points are exagerating to say at least. Most of these will be fixed in time since we are still in beta, but overall this game is a step in right direction functionality wise, and as fluidity, plus the new effects on board looks awesome

Ciri: Nova in every 2nd deck. New meta is here!

Some relicts are not affected by weavess:incantation. Why? Bug?

Overall changes are good, but some cards are just... WTF?

Aesthetically the patch is quite lacking, admittedly. The new damage and boosting effects are meh. Both the audio and the visual ones. The damaging/boosting explosions (Iris' death, Overdose, Dennis Cranmer) are also kinda bad. And the flow of the board of course. As mentioned, the cards look like they are thrown into the board when summoned from the deck. The same is true about the Woodland Spirit. What happened to our cool one-by-one wolf spawning with the howling in the background and THEN the fog which summoned the foglet with an additional sound effect?! huh? :p

Now, imagine the new Draug, respawning draugirs one by one, slightly faster, like how Ifrit used to spawn 3 lesser Fire Elementals. Already seems awesome doesn't it? It feels like everything is an automatic clunky mechanic of card throwing into the board.

Card descriptions and abilities have suffered and been oversimplified. Trollololo, Schirru, some great strategic cards have been reworked. And the problem is that it looks like this is Gwent Mobile, when it isn't.

Weather looks worse too, especially Ragh nar Roog, though that's true for most weather. I miss the flaming rocks dropping onto my opponent's units already :(

However, I'd also like to take a moment to talk about what's good in this patch. Because there are plenty of good things too.

1) New cards. The new cards are simply amazing. I can see the creative thinking put behind some of them and it is just INSANE! All of them, but especially, my personal favorite, the new Moonlight mechanic and all the cards that synergize with it in all these great new ways, making it so different and unique. It is not just another weather deck! I love this :D

2) The new Lacerate/Werecat damaging effect. Where it was a weird curved red line for every card with a scratching sound, now it is a straight line that feels like a sword is slashed horizontally on the row with a suitably great audio effect. Please never change that one back! :D

All in all, the UI could use some work, and I'd love if we got cards like the aforementioned ones reverted back to their original use, but there are also some amazing things in this patch, I have to admit :) Fixing the problems will lead to a new and improved Gwent, better than any other version before

Is there a problem with the servers or something?

I can`t connect with players anymore and when I connect my opponent disconnect. Constant error messages.This build seems a bit unstable atm.

For the last half hour I tried to play a game and failed to do so. (no problems with my internet, must be something on their end)

Last edited:
There is a job listing at CDPR for a Gwent Designer, writing tool tips, on screen messages, and UI messages in English. There are other available positions too. The game is in a bad state, and maybe needs more time and people to sort out all the new kinks from this latest update.

I'm playing Gwent on PS4 for 2 months. To be honest the last version is way better than this patch. I feel the team compromised a lot on UI and visual effects for this game to be on mobile. The premium card's animation is playing in lower frame rates in game (fine in deck builder). The damage VFX is also cheap compares to the last version. Not to mention the poor server connection.

DRK3

Forum veteran
So yeah, also have been having problems with connection to the point i've given up - reached all daily rewards for the 1st time in 14 months so it's ok to have a break though...

But among the many problems that have been reported, i must complain about the keg drop rates, particularly the rare cards. I only opened 30 something kegs yesterday, that i'd been saving, and although i got enough Golds between the drops and crafts, the amount of new bronzes we're gettin is ridiculous and nowhere near enough to make new archetype decks.

I've crafted Adda to make a Cursed NR deck but i only have 3 of the new bronzes... Same goes for Moonlight Monsters or all the new SK bronzes. I wish Rares weren't so... rare on the 1st 4 cards of a keg.

Im not even gonna pick with individual card changes or i wouldnt be done tomorrow.

No Title

What can I say, apart of this patch is exactly what Battlefront 2 was for EA........No chance to play today, dropped connection or ....well, look at the screen. Sorry CDP, but you were so greedy to get some money from this update before Christmas, but you just lost players. And all of you tube gwent channels hosters lost their credit atm, for butt lic.......

Attachments

• photo186741.jpg
    photo186741.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 32
Among others, here is my biggest issue with this patch:

They practically pulled a Bioware on us. Yes, they have done a Curse of Osiris. Though it is in much smaller proportions, the issue is still the same.
They locked us out of content we already owned unless we "Purchase". replacement cards.

Unseen Elder had it's ability changed, as did Ekkimara - They then created two new cards, Arachas queen and Berbegazi, that do exactly what their respective counterparts did before they were changed.

This is NOT on. You should have either swapped the card mechanics and released them. Or you should have replaced the Unseen Elder and Ekkimara people have with the Arachas queen and Berbegazi.

I think that the most disappointing thing, is that they didn't set full price refund for every card they've changed/broken to an unplayable state.
But there are also so many in-game bugs right now, and I really liked the old simple animations.

Top Bottom