Midwinter update review, problems and solutions

+
Midwinter update review, problems and solutions

The Midwinter update seems rushed, with many things incomplete, bugs everywhere, and for some reason, I am having connection problems (I've never had any before). I am not going to be covering balance changes too much, mostly the UI and design philosophy.

Please keep in mind that I like most of the things in the new patch, like the UI, the new cards, and the new animations. But this is a critique, and I want to keep it short, so I will only be covering issues with the game

Card names
Why were the card names shortened? Is it a part of the future mobile update? I don't mind the shortening of the Skellige cards like "Clan x Warrior" or "Dol Blathanna x" but the characters that are a part of the games and the books don't deserve to have shortened names.​
Solution:
A great compromise is to add an option to the settings menu to toggle long names on/off. This could be toggled off by default to help out new players.​

No patch notes in client and no increased milling values for changed cards
Many cards have been changed/buffed/nerfed, but none of them have gotten increased dusting values. Why? What if I have 3 premium Ekimmara's but I don't like their new ability? Let me mill them for full value so that I may craft 3 premium Berbegazi.​
Also, there is no list of balance changes in the client, but that can be fixed in under 5 minutes (not counting upload speed and all that).​
Solution:
Update the new patch notes to appear in the client and offer full milling value for all cards that have had their abilities changed or values decreased for the next 3 days.​

New leaders must be crafted and cannot be earned through challenges
I am surprised that the midwinter update didn't come with new singleplayer challenges to earn the new leader cards. Allowing all players to have access to all leaders was a huge step forward, so why the limitations again? This wouldn't be that much of a problem if some of the leaders hadn't had their abilities transferred to newer ones (Unseen Elder - Arachas Queen).​
Solution:
Add new challenges to unlock the new leaders​
Edit:
Giving Arachas Queen to all players for free was a good step forward.

The "Create" keyword
The create keyword is problematic. On some cards, it works fine, like Adda, but on other cards, the range of cards is so big, and you'll run into moments where you'll get a fitting card (which is the expected result) and moments where every single card screws you over. The reason the Discover mechanic is so good in Hearthstone is because you can save the card for later. An easy solution would be to allow some create cards create the card, but instead of it being played immediately, it'd be added to your hand and you'd then have to play another card from your hand (even the card you just created).​
Solution:
Add the "created" card to your hand instead of playing it instantly and then play another card from your hand (even the one you just created).​

The new UI
I like the new UI, it was long overdue for an update. I am a bit disappointed in how vibrant the new collection and deck creation screen is (I always saw Gwent as a bit grim and serious, so the vibrant colors seem out of place), but I am glad the deck creation and collection screens are now merged. I think that the only thing I would change in the new UI is the screen that shows up when you're queuing up for a game. Get rid of the Yennefer art that shows up there and I'll be happy.
However, I'm not a fan of the sped up leader intros at the start of the game. It's noticeable (coming from someone who's played all the Witcher games), and it feels unnatural. The extra 0.5 seconds shaved off by speeding up the one-liners is not worth this feeling for me. If other players like this change, a good compromise could be adding a setting to the options menu to speed up intros, which would be on by default.​

Midwinter Hunt singleplayer challenge
I am really disappointed with the difficulty of the challenge. I beat all the normal and expert challenges on my first try. I was really looking forward to having to solve some sort of puzzle, but the difficulty is too low. I beat the Mahakam Ale festival and the Saovine event all by myself and it made me feel really good because it took me about a dozen tries to complete some of the levels, which followed with increased satisfaction when I beat the levels on my own. There is no satisfaction in beating the new event. I hope future events won't be dumbed down as much as this one.​
I'm all in favor of making the challenges easy on normal mode, but at least make them challenging on expert...​
That being said, the event was fun, and as always, I loved the voiceovers.​

Bugs
There are too many bugs in this patch to list, but here are the three biggest outliers I've encountered.
  • When queuing up for a game, sometimes the game freezes and you cannot stop the queue. The only way to exit the queue screen is to then restart the game
  • Huge connection issues. Never had any before. In one game, a "connection lost" pop up was covering my screen. I couldn't mulligan or play cards, but I could see my opponent play cards and I could pass.
  • When opening a card keg, there is a short delay before you can reveal the cards. This starts to get really annoying when opening large quantities of kegs at a time
I understand that CDPR probably just wanted to get the patch out in time for the Christmas holidays so that people could maybe buy their friends the holiday gift pack, knowing that there are a bunch of new cards and an updated UI to play with as well.
I trust CDPR will fix all the issues with the game eventually. It's possible that we will have to wait till after the holidays to get these fixes though. It'd be nice to get some message though. This isn't a relationship where the boyfriend is constantly checking up on his spouse, this is just us wanting CDPR to communicate with us.

Last edited:
I really liked that you added solutions to the problems. I agree with most of your points. I've experienced a lot of stuttering/bugs on Xbox since the update. I'm also pretty unhappy about the update not having leader challenges. Connection issues seem to be happening quite frequently as well. I've seen some minor graphical glitches too.

Even though the update has a fair share of problems, it's not bad at all. The deck builder is great but it could use some tweaks so that it runs smoother, at least on consoles. We need a hotfix ASAP. I want the game to run smoothly, like before the update.

You summed it up pretty well. I especially agree with you on the Create, name shortenings and leader challenges. And I like the fact you provide simple and highly possible solutions :)

The new cards are quite amazing I have to say. And the new Lacerate effect. The rest of this patch has been meh or a shift to something worse than before though, at least visually for me. Not to mention the card reworks like Schiru

ser2440;n10059071 said:
The new cards are quite amazing I have to say. And the new Lacerate effect. The rest of this patch has been meh or a shift to something worse than before though, at least visually for me. Not to mention the card reworks like Schiru

I totally agree with you. The new animations are really slick and smooth. Some of the card changes really do make my blood boil though; like Schirrú or splitting Old Speartip into "Sleeping Giant." Now that's just lazy.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Yeah, i finished the MidWinter Hunt today and i was disappointed because of how easy it is, specially when the story and the rewards are probably the best of the 3 events.

On Saovine, had lots of trouble even on Standard Difficulty, and on Expert, i hate to admit but i got tired and checked the solution online for 1 challenge.

On Ale Festival, did all without help but had some trouble with a few. But this one? All 6 done at first try, it's ridiculous.

Definitely agree 100% about the UI oversaturation qualm and the unreliability of the Create keyword.

I am a frequent reader of this forum and a player of Gwent since the closed beta. I previously did not have a profile here to post so this is my first post and this is happening because of this most recent update. There is nothing good about it. Period. I'm sorry if thats harsh, but the design is a cartoon and the layout is so incredibly rudimentary and clunky that the overall joy of the atmospheric nature of the game and the gritty yet beautiful tone of the cards have all been completely muted. I didn't mind the mulligan system before, this update is a major step backwards. I didn't mind the deck building screen, this one just copies a tired formula. There were things to like and dislike about every update (for every game mind you) but every single one of my decks was completely ruined by the update as well. It is depressing to say, but at this point if there isn't some kind of return to the previous version's interface and functionality (take out the animations! they aren't even necessary) then I am officially checked out and can't even bring myself to playing it anymore as we speak. Its so clearly a regression and I think the truth can hurt, but needs to be known. Please undo this!

DRK3;n10059391 said:
Yeah, i finished the MidWinter Hunt today and i was disappointed because of how easy it is, specially when the story and the rewards are probably the best of the 3 events.

On Saovine, had lots of trouble even on Standard Difficulty, and on Expert, i hate to admit but i got tired and checked the solution online for 1 challenge.

On Ale Festival, did all without help but had some trouble with a few. But this one? All 6 done at first try, it's ridiculous.

I hate to sound negative because I have enjoyed this game so much and I am still enjoying it (as much as possible) but I have to say that I keep getting worried in regards to if the devs know what they are doing or not. The balancing for this game has been all over the place since the closed beta started. With this latest patch their balancing efforts still seem to show a lack of direction for the game. Cards that should be nerfed aren't and cards that are already not very good get nerfed anyway. It just doesn't make much sense. Then their events have either flopped or were completely lack luster. Like the faction challenge where it was obvious NR was going to win so people just joined NR. That was pointless. Then the Midwinter challenge was so easy a child who just learned how to read could beat them. What's most annoying to me is how they released 100 cards which should have made the game much more diverse and interesting but it didn't because the new cards are either uninteresting/weak or the new RNG create cards. So I can't even say the game is better now than it was before the patch.

I am just watching some videos from streamers and such... and I am getting really sad about the constant swings in points in just one turn. After turn. After turn. After turn.

This is just no good.

partci;n10064911 said:
I am just watching some videos from streamers and such... and I am getting really sad about the constant swings in points in just one turn. After turn. After turn. After turn.

This is just no good.

Personally I think it was much more fun, when standard bronze was 8 strength, silver 10, gold 12. Of course, when you fulfill some conditions it could be more.
But now, you put three bronzes to your deck, first comes for 13, second for 16 and third for 20 in 90% of situations. It makes this game worse than it was in the past.

Last edited:
slow_cheeetah;n10065061 said:
Personally I think it was much more fun, when standard bronze was 8 strength, silver 10, gold 12. Of course, when you fulfill some conditions it could be more.
But now, you put three bronzes to your deck, first comes for 13, second for 16 and third for 20 in 90% of situations. It makes this game worse than it was in the past.

Yeah I don't quite get why they couldn't keep it like this. I hear that power creep is normal in these games but I just don't really understand why it has to happen.

StrykerxS77x;n10065371 said:
Yeah I don't quite get why they couldn't keep it like this. I hear that power creep is normal in these games but I just don't really understand why it has to happen.

Power creep is a standard situation, because when the cards are getting stronger, the players are getting motivated to spend more money on kegs/packs/microtransactions.
Because in this case players constanly need to have better cards. Money rules the world sadly.

Legendarum You're right, money it's not the only reason. Gwent is a very young game comparing to Magic:tG and we already see in Gwent a card with 20 power.
It's unnatural. In MtG after so many years after launching there are still no many cards around 15 power.

slow_cheeetah;n10065061 said:

I always justified the power creep by thinking: "It's to balance out cards like Lacerate or weather."

DannyGuy;n10065961 said:
I always justified the power creep by thinking: "It's to balance out cards like Lacerate or weather."

In scenario, when bronze is 8 point strenght. Lacerate needs 3 cards next to each other to be profitable. Weather: Frost damaging 2 per turn needs 4 turns to be worthy playing.
So I think it can be balanced. What's unbalanced? The fact that we have a card Frost and another card Wild Hunt Hound (4str unit) playing Frost. So basically the same cards (both bronzes) and one of them +4 power and deck thinning (because it takes a card from the deck)

power creep is especially strange because it generally occurs with new expansions, but this game is not even in its 1.0 yet. so they don't need to do the power creep. they can just any day reset every unit's power to ~ 8-10-12 , same as they always tweak old cards anyway.

my guess is that it's part of "smiplifying", aka it's easier to count with 10 than with 8.

scorba;n10066121 said:
power creep is especially strange because it generally occurs with new expansions, but this game is not even in its 1.0 yet. so they don't need to do the power creep. they can just any day reset every unit's power to ~ 8-10-12 , same as they always tweak old cards anyway.

my guess is that it's part of "smiplifying", aka it's easier to count with 10 than with 8.

I feel like the lower the values are, the easier it is to count. I always hated games with damage values that cross 10 000 for example.

Last edited:
DannyGuy;n10066231 said:
I feel like the lower the values are, the easier it is to count. I always hated games with damage values that cross 10 000.

Yes, me the same. And it looks much more clean on the board.

Top Bottom