x

You have decided to merge your account with the GOG.com.

You can now start participating in the community discussions.

x

You chose to opt out from the merge process.
Please note that you will not be able to access your account until you opt in.

We strongly encourage you to merge your RED account with the GOG.com one.
If you want to do it later please try logging in again.

• Register

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Underrated/Surprising Cards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underrated/Surprising Cards

Today I was making a deck and I noticed it lacked consistency. So I took a look at some of the old silver cards that I haven't used in a while and I saw The Last Wish. The card reads: "Look at 2 cards from your deck, then play 1." So there I am, using it in one of my Skellige decks and it pulls Vabjorn and Hjalmar. I'm like: . No other Silver cards can pull Gold cards that I know of, so I was pleasantly surprised. What other cards have surprised you that don't see much play? I personally haven't seen people use The Last Wish in a while, only in Spell decks.
    I do not know who the gentleman in my profile picture is, but he is holding a dog. I like dogs.

Last Wish has had a place in my standard ST Spells deck since as long as I can remember - it can vary wildly with what it offers and obviously the later you use it the less card pool it has to pull from, but generally it'll find something useful - it's let me down a few times, but that's the nature of those type of 'look at X cards and play one' cards.

But keep it under your hat, ok? I mean, don't make a thread on a forum or anything letting others into the open secret that it's still/always was a viable card.

Comment

Originally posted by OG.laloquaint View Post
      No other Silver cards can pull Gold cards that I know of
      Yaevin can pull you gold specials.

Originally posted by x1Cygnus View Post
      my standard ST Spells deck
      Care to share? Maybe I can improve mine. My favorite deck. Even transmute all cards in it using my hard earned powder. There's something special about it. Though it's not as strong as it used to be. (and I'm not reffering the old days when weather was oppressive and spells was brain dead deck spam weather deck).

btw. What is your winrate and at what mmr range?

Comment

Originally posted by x1Cygnus View Post
        But keep it under your hat, ok? I mean, don't make a thread on a forum or anything letting others into the open secret that it's still/always was a viable card.
        Whoops

Originally posted by nunqmuo View Post

Yaevin can pull you gold specials.
        Yeah, any card advantage card can pull golds. The Last Wish is special though because it's a normal silver card.

I do not know who the gentleman in my profile picture is, but he is holding a dog. I like dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by OG.laloquaint View Post
          Yeah, any card advantage card can pull golds. The Last Wish is special though because it's a normal silver card.
          Must be me or the game but i never ever pull golds with spies. Only Gold specials with Yaevinn. So i thought it's how its supposed to be. Apologize for unintended misinformation. The game must really hate me.
          Last edited by nunqmuo; 15-01-18, 06:44.

Comment

Yeah the Last Wish is a really solid card for deck thinning. I've gotten Schirru, Ithlinne or Shupe just when I needed it a bunch of times. I use it constantly in my main Shupe deck.
            Read the Forum Regulations! This color means I am posting in my capacity as a moderator. Otherwise, feel free to ignore my random musings. Check out The Wild Hunt & The Forlorn Hope!

Comment

I used Last Wish in my NG Spell deck last season. Sadly it never really worked with Stefan Skellen for whatever reason, but yeah, it's still a pretty useful card,

Comment

Originally posted by nunqmuo View Post

Must be me or the game but i never ever pull golds with spies. Only Gold specials with Yaevinn. So i thought it's how its supposed to be. Apologize for unintended misinformation. The game must really hate me.
                It's okay

Comment

Originally posted by devivre View Post
                  I used Last Wish in my NG Spell deck last season. Sadly it never really worked with Stefan Skellen for whatever reason, but yeah, it's still a pretty useful card,
                  I would actually add Stefan to my list of underrated cards. I think he's really good.

Comment

Last Wish, there was a time in the closed beta that every ST player and their mother ran that It had a slightly different effect though. I want to say it was like the current Ermion but I am not sure.

Stefan Skellen, while good, it's like Royal Decree. Because gold spots are so limited, sacrificing one to be able to draw the others is usually not worth it unless you have a Critical gold around which your strategy revolves (hence why stefan was popular in Mill decks)

Comment

Herbalist into Doppler is quite good. Though it used to be better when Doppler counted as a resurrect. (they didn't put that in the patch notes)

Comment

What about Lesser Demons? It's a chance to pick the exact card you need + 11 points. If you have a less than optimal card in your hand ... second to last card you play Lesser Demon and you can get exactly what you need and lose the dead card. It's even better with Wardancer which then gets played. I"ve been tinkering with it some. More often than not it's helpful. I never see anybody else use it.
                        Last edited by Rawls; 15-01-18, 16:58.
                        Read the Forum Regulations! This color means I am posting in my capacity as a moderator. Otherwise, feel free to ignore my random musings. Check out The Wild Hunt & The Forlorn Hope!

Comment

Originally posted by Rawls View Post
                          What about Lesser Demons? It's a chance to pick the exact card you need + 11 points. If you have a less than optimal card in your hand ... second to last card you play Lesser Demon and you can get exactly what you need and lose the dead card. It's even better with Wardancer which then gets played. I"ve been tinkering with it some. More often than not it's helpful. I never see anybody else use it.
                          hows the wardancer interaction work?

Comment

The lesser demons can discard the card you picked too, can they not?

Comment

Originally posted by ser2440 View Post
                              The lesser demons can discard the card you picked too, can they not?
                              Yes it can. I had a really good run with it the first hnadful of games or so. But's evening out now. It may actually be better to play early in hand and get the card you want and then hope for the best. It's been interesting to test our in practice though. Got it in a keg this morning and have been playing with it. Not as good as it seemed at first. Apparently I just had good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X