Top streamer and caster M0gwai quits the game until it's fixed

+

Raunbjorn

Theo_FP;n10348312 said:
It would seem that most people here have forgotten the fact that the game is still in production. The fact that CDPR have failed this badly during the latest patch is a good thing, seeing as they will more than likely learn from their mistakes.

That's too naive imo. They're too proud to revert things and they are already testing new create cards. I wish they would stop catering to 8 year olds with big pocket money. These decks that can be piloted by a braindead person needs to go. Instead of killing those interesting mechanics that made the game special they should've just introduced more of those cards and keep separating the game from the rest.

Bondonkadonk;n10348672 said:
He's not quit the game. Mogwai always has high levels of salt and tilting after he's lost a bunch of matches, this isn't the first time he's said something as cavalier as "fuck this game". He said on stream today he'd probably be playing some gwent on Tuesday.

Mogwai has both defended and been critical throughout this patch. He's never been a yes man. I'm so confused why people keep distrusting streamers and saying they're in CDPRs pockets just because *gasp* they said some nice things about a game they enjoy! You can still be positive about a game while having concerns and criticisms about it. Gwent is in beta, it NEEDS players to be constructively critical about it's development so it's devs can learn and develop the game for the better, just shouting about how the game is broken and it's dead helps literally no one.

Because both mogwai and merchant were adamant at defending the patch when everyone saw it was a mess. Only to turn around now. They're in a strange situation. I'm not saying they're shills. It's just funny.

Majority of feedback is constructive. Problem is, there's a lack of communication from CDPR. We're getting standard PR response of :"We hear you."

I understand that devs can't talk to us about every minor stage of development and keep us updated on every little thing that goes on internally. "Day 362. We made progress on the coinflip issue, thought it took hours and a barfight to settle on the direction. Jimmy clogged the bathroom again, so we had to evacuate for a few hours." No one is expecting detailed explanations of what they do.

But what I'd really like to know is the general direction Gwent is going. Catering to mobile? Casuals? Less or more tactical? Big on RNG or not. That sort of thing.

metalmaniac21;n10347712 said:
Does this "pro" knows Gwent is still in beta and needs more different feedback to actually fix problems? And it's his job now to continue, not to abandon?

When a game has a fully fledged tournament scene with qualifying points, a fully working cash shop and gets patched on average once every 3 months, It's not a beta. This game ceased to be a beta several months ago in anything but "name".

CDPR are doing nothing but hiding behind the "its a beta" because they've no idea what the hell their doing anymore. CDPR have had plenty of time to hear feedback and are instead adamant that they'd rather look after the 1% of players that play truly competitively while ignoring everyone else. A tactic which has alienated the majority of the playerbase and brlliantly enough, annoyed the exact people they were trying to play favourites with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Snake_Foxhounder;n10349172 said:
Because both mogwai and merchant were adamant at defending the patch when everyone saw it was a mess. Only to turn around now. They're in a strange situation. I'm not saying they're shills. It's just funny.

Majority of feedback is constructive. Problem is, there's a lack of communication from CDPR. We're getting standard PR response of :"We hear you."

I understand that devs can't talk to us about every minor stage of development and keep us updated on every little thing that goes on internally. "Day 362. We made progress on the coinflip issue, thought it took hours and a barfight to settle on the direction. Jimmy clogged the bathroom again, so we had to evacuate for a few hours." No one is expecting detailed explanations of what they do.

But what I'd really like to know is the general direction Gwent is going. Catering to mobile? Casuals? Less or more tactical? Big on RNG or not. That sort of thing.

Merchant and Mogwai both defended the game when the patch was released, but it was mostly create they defended. Most people aren't that pissed off at create itself, its more the points spamming that some cards can put out. Neither new exactly what the meta would be like at that stage, and the patch did add some interesting things. Its just a shame those things are ignored in favour of points spamming.

My issue with CDPR is their lack of understanding in what a "hotfix" is. It's a patch that fixes some in game problems, usually within a day or two of the problems arising. What the use the word as is more of a "balance patch", which actually features some things being balanced. I guarantee the next patch will be a "content patch", with loads more cards added. That is completely NOT what people want right now - don't focus on adding new cards, focus on getting the existing ones into a funner state. By the time the next patch rolls out it will be about 2 months since the Midwinter Update, which is just too long for no real changes. Do a hotfix within a day, do a balance within a few weeks and pass on the new content for the time being.

Hopefully whatever the next meta is, it'll lead to something I expect to be ignored this patch - addressing the problem of tutor cards. They aren't fun, and are just lazy ways of designing new cards. It's the same problem some create cards have - if you want to play a card, play it. It will always be better playing another card that adds points to it, and it restricts deck building in a big way. Hopefully someday soon the streamers will realise this and this will lead CDPR to stop adding even more every patch.

After hundreds of hours in Gwent, I finally uninstalled it yesterday. It was getting rather despondent going game after game against opponents who gained easy wins from RNG or putting points on board with little to no strategy. I remember the days when you realised you were against Skellige and immediately though 'Oh shit, the graveyard is a second hand. Should beware of what I kill', but now everyone is resurrecting everything and it's not the main problem of the current patch but still adds insult to injury.

I never though I'd use this quote but I'm going to now: There's no sense of pride and accomplishment in playing Gwent at the moment.

Zjiin;n10349552 said:
When a game has a fully fledged tournament scene with qualifying points, a fully working cash shop and gets patched on average once every 3 months, It's not a beta. This game ceased to be a beta several months ago in anything but "name".

CDPR are doing nothing but hiding behind the "its a beta" because they've no idea what the hell their doing anymore. CDPR have had plenty of time to hear feedback and are instead adamant that they'd rather look after the 1% of players that play truly competitively while ignoring everyone else. A tactic which has alienated the majority of the playerbase and brlliantly enough, annoyed the exact people they were trying to play favourites with.

Unfortunately I have to agree with this. The devs don't treat the game as "beta" (a beta game with full fledged compettive scenario?!), but use the tag to cover the fact that they don't know what direction they want to take with their product. To be a 'white knight' and excuse everything with the "it's a beta" is just disservice to the game and a lack of respect to players.

I don't follow M0gwai (or any of the others - but do watch a few random vids from various streamers on YT if I think they're going to be interesting) but after watching the vid that OP posted and winding it back a bit in time to see what happened in the game to provide some context, I can understand where the guy M0gwai is coming from.

I used to play daily for maybe 2-3hours per day, but have cut this down to 4 hours on a weekend, mainly due to frustration with Ciri:Forfeit (there are a few other reasons, but mainly that) and being sick to death of playing the same game over and over and over again but against different oppo's, and finding that the more I played the game the more I came to realise just how broken it actually is.

Now that faction challenge is in full swing and (pretty much) only playing against Consume or Spy decks over the weekend, I won't be playing anymore until this faction challenge is over.

I think the idea of faction challenges is a good idea; but it just gets soooo boring when you're up against Spies for the 7th time in a row and know that the game will play out almost exactly the same as the previous 6 because they're all using the same deck or 1 or 2 card variants of the same deck.

I have a lot of respect for the developers and I am sure that they have recognised what's going on with the game. From my personal standpoint though I just haven't had the will to play GWENT in it's current state for about 2 weeks.

The reasons are clear, they have been hashed and re-hashed over and over and over on thread after thread.

Dorfs. Double Spies. RNG Create nonsense. Brainless, every-bronze-card-is-a-minimum-15-to-20-point-play mechanics.

I have faith that these issues will be fixed in time. For right now though, it's time for me to play something else.

We're getting standard PR response of :"We hear you."

Not only you'd be surprised at how many times and different game dev teams don't even issue that, but also, no, that's not all we get. A few examples:

1) Faction challenge got changed according to what the players preferred
2) CA spies are not in the Create card options, this was the first thing they changed
3) Countless updates before Midwinter of changing and reviewing virtually everything
4) Sincere apologies to people who just keep on flaming and hating what, in the end, is a free game still being developed in one way or another and who most definitely don't deserve an apology

Is it bad? yeah. Definitely worse than pre-midwinter.

Is it being addressed? All indications point at that direction. Namely:

- Streams with devs
- news
- Statements mentioning the problems
- CDPR's history of good game developing and communication
- non-automated email responses to every support ticket

Dorfs. Double Spies. RNG Create nonsense. Brainless, every-bronze-card-is-a-minimum-15-to-20-point-play mechanics.

Agreed. Dwarves I can only beat on a REALLY really great day and that's with my best deck.

Snake_Foxhounder;n10349172 said:

They really weren't adamant on defending. They spoke about how they think the create mechanic could be interesting for the game as it brought some variance to what was becoming a stale meta before the mid-winter update, which was a completely valid point. Whether someone likes create or not, you can't deny it brings a level of unpredictability to every game. People like Mogwai and Merchant were trying to bring up some good points (and bad, if you watch their videos on the patches, they both bring up negatives as well) to a community that, at least on reddit, were already screeching about how the game was dead within days of the patch landing. There was negativity from a lot of the community before they'd even TRIED to play the game.

As for the "We here you". Well, go and read/watch some of their news, updates, social media, streams, etc. There's a lot more being said than simply "we hear you". As a business they can't tell you everything about their plans, that's just a normal thing, just in case things don't work out or fall through, but compared to most companies out there, I think CDPR are doing a damn fine job of proving they care about the game.

Edit: Oh and not to mention they have the balls to put faces to their developers, something rarely seen. Other than indie games, I can only think of Jeff from Overwatch being in a similar position. They have people like Burza out there interacting with the community, showing up to watch and support streamers, discussing what's to come and doing frequent videos. At least they're trying to give a crap.

Last edited:
Just curious: what deck type(s) are you playing with?

My best deck this patch is probably the Werewolves. It's the only one that actually stands a chance.

Others are Henselt Machines, Eredin Wild Hunt, Emhyr Spy and sometimes Bran Bears which has never been matched with Dwarves so far.

I understand the average person being sick of the state of the game but i have no sympathy for said streamer. Did he have a problem when NG was dominating for months and every other game was NG spies, NG spies, NG spies? ( and they're still very much strong and prevalent )

Anyway, as a person professionally ( he does get paid for casting, right? I apologize if i'm wrong ) associated with CDPR, constructively criticizing the game is totally legit, healthy and even necessary, but throwing salty tantrums like "f**k this game" in public, well...i find that very juvenile and unprofessional. YMMV.

bilbo.baggins;n10354722 said:
I understand the average person being sick of the state of the game but i have no sympathy for said streamer. Did he have a problem when NG was dominating for months and every other game was NG spies, NG spies, NG spies? ( and they're still very much strong and prevalent )

Anyway, as a person professionally ( he does get paid for casting, right? I apologize if i'm wrong ) associated with CDPR, constructively criticizing the game is totally legit, healthy and even necessary, but throwing salty tantrums like "f**k this game" in public, well...i find that very juvenile and unprofessional. YMMV.

Since his nickname is/was "the Emperor of Nilfgaard," I'm going to guess he wasn't that salty during the NG meta (which has lasted what? about a year and a half? and never really completely stopped, to be fair) :D

I'm playing mostly Skellige and Monsters, and I'm having no trouble climbing vs dorfs. This is around 4k MMR.

Also, while dorfs are definitely strong and numerous, I don't see them every single game. Generally it's one dorf opponent every 3-4 games, which is a high percentage, but it's not the ONLY thing you run into on the ladder.

Finally, I think people put too much stock in card advantage. If you can bleed effectively, going down a card due to spies isn't going to ruin your game, unless you're desperately holding onto that Ciri: Nova or Geralt: Igni every time. Lots of decks can make up for going one or even two cards down, by either denying what the opponent is trying to do, or by spitting out so many points that one or two extra cards won't let the opponent make up the difference (looking at you consume!)

https://imgur.com/aeaRto9

Same joke. Had to play against da dorfs. Play a card pull the silver card that gets jecked to 22. Play a card that gets the silver card to copy the highest card on other side. COpie the one that was copied so now 44 on 2 cards. Play a card that goes into deck to get a gold card and boost it, The Witcher. Boost my dorfs with my other dorfs.

Stale. Very stale.

Philologus;n10339842 said:
Oh wow. It appears you have changed your mind a bit from a couple of weeks ago, when you were stubbornly saying, "Just play better" (in response to complaints about SC Dwarves)?

What? I'm 4350 MMR (top 150) as of time of writing, and I am not playing Dwarves. Do you really think I got there by sheer luck?

Last edited:
Top Bottom