Assumptions on new faction in the works?

+
m0bius8;n10362072 said:
Maybe Toussaint? We know Anna Henrietta as a Leader card is in the works. Plus we could possibly have cards like Syanna, Regis Higher Vampire, Detlaff Van Eretein, Damien de la Tour, Milton de Peyrac, Orianna, Bruxa cards and others.

I don't know what to think about a faction of humans and monsters working together. Sure, Toussaint can have Annarietta, Syanna and a crapload of knights both named and generic, but IIRC in the books it was just a NG's vassal realm and it was not taken seriously by other empires, so those cards can be just some new NG cards.

or the "watch everyone lose their minds" option of 'Mercenaries', which can use up to 5 cards from each faction... that would be a terrifying mix to behold

Now, when all factions does not have any perks or skills, like it was before (ST decides who goes first, monsters had carryover, SK had veterans, etc), it doesnt matter.
Just another color for another deck, who just vomit 20 points bronze cards on the board.

DRK3;n10367522 said:
I thought it had already been confirmed the new faction would be Touissant. I read an article awhile ago that seemed official and sounded like they had contact with the devs or a version of Thronebreaker, and it said Anna Henrietta and Dethlaff would be 2 of those Leaders.

I think i've also seen CDPR tease Oriana's card would be coming on a future update, so that strengthens the point.

Unlikely considering we have an upcoming vampire faction

Eternal Fire.

It would be composed of:

-Order of the Flaming Rose, leader Ulrich (see Witcher 3 HoS), Silver Siegfried, plenty of possible cards for the archetype (I suppose they would be like Knights of Toussaint, with less honor ;); or more, according to the point of view)
-Mutants, leader Jacques de Aldesberg, Silver Rayla; greater brothers, mutant assassins and other Witcher 1 nostalgia :).
-Salamandra, leader Azar Javed, Silver Professor, Silver Savolla, endless pool of possible cards. Maybe some fisstech-related, provided China does not object and censor.
-Church of the Eternal Fire, leader Hammelfart.

I should admit that most of my opinion stems from the fact you can find plenty of leeked art and data regarding more than half the things I wrote above :).

Hang on, isn't Toussaint part of the NG empire? Anna Henrietta is just a Duchess, not a King or anything. It's a province not a country or realm.

I think a mage faction would be cool. The Lodge faction. They'll show those elves who has the upper hand in the witcher universe.

Sexy Leaders such as Phillipa, Triss, & Keira. Ultimately a neutral faction.

Last edited:
jsachun;n10376782 said:
Hang on, isn't Toussaint part of the NG empire? Anna Henrietta is just a Duchess, not a King or anything. It's a province not a country or realm.
Toussaint is a largely autonomous vassal-state of the Empire. The Duchess rules her realm with relatively little interference, or intrusions, from surrounding Nilfgaard. The wine-rich land of chivalry is left to manage its own affairs, it seems.

Bleach25;n10375042 said:
Unlikely considering we have an upcoming vampire faction

Vampires are coming, but whether or not they will get a faction of their own remains to be seen.

I'd go with Klingons.

But seriously what can a new faction bring to the table? sure it's nice to have something new but it has to be new in more than just names and artwork. I think the game already has a problem with theme, and certain factions feel very alike and generic.

Iuliandrei;n10379592 said:
I'd go with Klingons.

But seriously what can a new faction bring to the table? sure it's nice to have something new but it has to be new in more than just names and artwork. I think the game already has a problem with theme, and certain factions feel very alike and generic.

I laughed at the Klingons thing. :)

Good argument for the overall feel of each faction starting to blend together to some extent. That's sort of what happens when pieces are added while also maintaining overall balance. I'm not really into card games that much, but I always liked asymmetrically balanced systems like Dominion. Hard for CCGs, but I think it's kind of important that there is not an answer for everything. Their should be "power plays" that are more or less unstoppable. The balance could be such that executing these killer combos would be incredibly difficult, requiring a lot of skill to pull off (and, of course, the luck o' the draw), and every faction should have the ability to make such plays. And such plays should be one-off per match, requiring the player to commit to it once begun...or lose the opportunity for that entire game if they miss it or have to change tactics in the middle of the round.

By comparison, I think that most CCGs I have played work on a series of trumps, each of which has a specific foil. Over time, the trumps are trumped by ever greater trumps, and invariably, certain turmps become almost impossible to foil. That becomes an issue for players because they get used to the expectation that, "If someone does A, I can do B to prevent it. Wait -- it didn't work!? Hey, that's so unbalanced!" Fair enough...if that's what the game has been built for. The ultimate result of this system would be something like Chess. Same pieces on each side, differently decorated perhaps, but identical / equivalent in form, function, and power. Kind of a lost cause if an ongoing collection or trading mechanic is part of the game.

So, the most successful asymmetrical systems follow a power play / titan unit / nuke mechanic. Take Starcraft, for example. If I'm playing the Protoss, developing a "fighter swarm" using carriers is a viable "endgame" tactic. And, there will be tells all over, as other certain units will not be brought into play if I'm working on building all those carriers. That's the broadcast to my opponent that I'm going for a carrier / fighter swarm. Now, they know that they'll need to come up with a tactic to kill my economy by attacking supply lines, maybe use Ghosts to nuke my shipyards, or go for serious anti-air to meet it head-on. However, players know that if I get carriers built -- it's over. There will be no answer.

The same philosophy is directly applied to Dark Souls (needing to precisely time that uber-power-up attack and/or use that lightning consumable at just the right moment) or Dominion (needing to risk playing that Throne Room card on the Market because I know the odds are in my favor that enough coin will pop up for me to buy the last two Provinces). These are risks, and if I blow it, not only will I not pull off the play, I'll probably outright lose. It's all down to whether or not I set things up properly, less about whether my opponent has a surefire way of stopping me. That's the magic of asymmetrical balance.

Last edited:
My money's on the Brotherhood of Mages. With Tissaia de Vries, Philippa Eilhart and Vilgefortz as leader cards. This one is the most likely since there are lots and lots of characters they can use (and reuse) for it.

I think The Wild Hunt has the best chance of becoming a faction.Monsters have 5 leaders atm.Maybe that's because Eredin will get removed from it and added to the WH faction?

:evil2:
I sure hope so aen elle would be amazing! Wildhunt being seperate faction would be great, and give them some builds that dont include frost would be great, unicorn leader please!! :wazzzup:

By lore, probably Enternal fire/Novigrad, or Toussaint, or Kovir, or Ofir.

By game play I hope we don't get a new faction until we fix SC faction, it's full proactive, boring and lack its own faction unique parts

Top Bottom