From Dorf Point Spam Back To Bear Point Spam

+
Blacklisting only works during said mulligan phase. So when you blacklist something, that means you won't draw that or any copy of it for the rest of THAT mulligan phase. After that phase is over, everything goes, and with that card or a copy of it having a higher chance of appearing, well, you can understand why that happens :)

I don't understand why that happens though, ser2440 Forgive me for being stupid, I'm not used to card games as a whole, but probability doesn't dictate that if you put a card back into the deck at r1, it should appear several more times and yet you don't see the other 15 or whatever cards in deck. Does this mulligan put things back at the top of the deck? It certainly seems that way at times. The amount of times I've had something like, say Roach, appear on r1, you mulligan. Draw him r2, mulligan away, play a card that draws to hand and there's Roach, back in your hand for a third time that game.

Bondonkadonk;n10458502 said:
The amount of times I've had something like, say Roach, appear on r1, you mulligan. Draw him r2, mulligan away, play a card that draws to hand and there's Roach, back in your hand for a third time that game.
Yep, it often works like that. Same thing with Ithlinne and tremors, where you cannot get rid of the tremors from the hand, they're always back on the next mulligan more than in 50% cases even though your deck still has 8-10 cards. Happens too often not to be a bug.

I've often thought that I was being robbed (re-drawing a card in R2 that I mulligan'd away at the start of the game) but to be honest, on balance, I think it's probably just confirmation bias. I mean, has it been confirmed by CDPR that cards you mulligan in R1 have a higher than normal chance of reappearing in the R2 mulligan?

For me at least, I remember getting screwed by a draw a lot more than I remember perfect draws (because hey, I get my entitled head on occasionally and EXPECT perfect draws).

It would be interesting to see some official word on the matter.

Forgive me for being stupid, I'm not used to card games as a whole, but probability doesn't dictate that if you put a card back into the deck at r1, it should appear several more times and yet you don't see the other 15 or whatever cards in deck. Does this mulligan put things back at the top of the deck? It certainly seems that way at times. The amount of times I've had something like, say Roach, appear on r1, you mulligan. Draw him r2, mulligan away, play a card that draws to hand and there's Roach, back in your hand for a third time that game.

It's ok, it took me ages to figure it out :) Ok, when you mulligan something away, it goes to a spot in between the rest of the cards in your deck, randomly. So suppose you are in Round 1 and swapping your cards. There are 15 cards in your deck and 10 in your hand. So you choose what you don't want and that card will go between 2 other cards in your deck. It can go on top, between the 1st and 2nd, between the 2nd and 3rd, etc etc, between the 14th and 15th or last, right?

So far so good. The problem is that for a split second, your deck has an extra card. This swapping occurs before you draw a replacement. So if that card goes between the 1st and 2nd card in your deck, you then draw the top card as part of swapping, so the card you sent away is now on top again.

Adding in the fact that you mulligan 3 cards in the beginning, you send away 2 more and you draw the 2nd and 3rd card from your deck respectively right? So if the card you swapped first ended up anywhere between the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th card in your deck, it's going to be on top, ready for you to draw to that on Round 2 (because you draw 2 cards on Round 2, not 1). Suffice to say that if you only redraw 1 card on R1, you have smaller chances of redrawing that on R2

Then consider this. Suppose the card you swapped first has 2 more copies in your deck. Those copies will be blacklisted. Then what this means is that not only the card you swapped first has an increased chance of being on top for Round 2 (as demonstrated, if it landed anywhere between the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th card in your deck, you are going to draw it on R2. Especially if you swap on R2 as well), but also, the chance increases even further, since even if the card you swapped is not in between any of those cards, a copy of it might be one of them. But since you blacklisted it for the mulligan phase of Round 1, you couldn't draw it. It stayed on top, you drew the next non-blacklisted card. And so when you next have to draw cards boom, that card, or a copy of it, will land in your hand. And the next time you have to draw after Round 1 is, most frequently, Round 2 :) The fact that for such a case the chance that this card or a copy will be on top is a staggering 50.6% is more than indicative of how important deck thinning is (and why Mill is such a hated archetype :p )

Hope that makes sense. As for actual statistics and a more detailed explanation, refer here:

https://www.gwentdb.com/articles/132...e-mulligan-bug

*PS* Mods, I know this is irrelevant and off topic, I am sorry. Feel free to move this to another thread if the users asking about it have seen it :)

Last edited:
ser2440 Cheers mate, makes a bit better sense now. Also probably goes a way to explaining why, on round 2, I always seem guaranteed to draw two specials rather than the units I want that tutor said specials.

And yeah, sorry mods for the off topic.

Dorf spam was much more annoying than bears spam. It was s guaranteed 12 pts. Or 14 with agitators, plus any more points off of Dennis and Barclay and Hattori. Not to mention the OP golds such a Ithlinne and Iorveth meds. Yrs, bears is annoying but ita much mpre toned down than dorfs was

Last edited by a moderator:
Main problem right now with bears is their interaction with restore and Veterans. I've had several matches now where the opponent has a 10str beast master into an 11str bear. 21point bronze. Granted it takes a few plays to get it to that stage, but it's not a risk reward play, there's no sacrifice being given or risky play done to get the bronze that high. It's just straight up points. You essentially HAVE to get card advantage over a bear deck, otherwise you're fucked, because their last play will always be around 20 points.

Saying that, I still think it's better to play against than dwarves. It's just duuuuuullllll. :p

Top Bottom