Custom decks - the road to Gwent happiness?

+
Custom decks - the road to Gwent happiness?

Being a casual player (I feel like a parrot saying this all the time), I never really got a chance to experiment with my decks. I usually go for already established decks that I find interesting (not the strongest necessarily) and then change a few cards, depending on what fits me.

I got to the the point that I can somewhat afford to mess about. While not original, I decided to try and create an elf only, Ciri Nova deck. All the cards, aside from Ciri and Igni, are elven. I gotta say, it's been fun. I don't win that often but it's a breath of fresh air.

Next thing I want to do, is make a movement deck, with traps and such. Not original, I know, but it'll be something fun and not necessarily strong.

Welcome to.the club

:cheers:

My custom decks can carry me to rank 15 sometimes further..but like you I mostly play casual
I enjoy the extra goodies at seasons end which is the only reason ill play ranked
I'm by far not a strategic card player because this is just fun for me.
If I have to join the flock of sheep and play one of the net decks just to get a higher rank...NO THANKS
there's not that much pay off for me personally to be bothered with the grinding headache it takes to try and be a "pro" player in which I could care less

Last edited:
All my decks are custom, confirmed on many ooccasion by the extreme rarity of facing them in ranked or casual.

I've tried netdecking but I feel genuinely dirty when I do, even playing the most popular cards feels slightly cheap to me personally.

With the exception of NG copycat deck of course, fun, but even they've become tiring.

It's all about cool moves and awesome power plays, there are so many combinations in the game now, that really means something.

And don't neglect the neutral cards, there among the finest in the game.

I got to 19 twice as a casual player trying for ranked. At least 15 every season since I started playing, all with custom decks, so don't be put off ranked because your not running an OP deck.

Be focused, brave and confident that's all it takes to climb the ladder with a custom deck.

You will refine the deck as you go along too, adding counters for popular cards and combos and coming up with ever ingenious snares and finishers.

Plus there's an ample selection of gwent professors in here to give you clear and consice breakdowns of anything related to the game.

The sky is the limit baby.

The sky is the limit.

:wisegirl:

Snake_Foxhounder;n10459722 said:
[SNIP] Next thing I want to do, is make a movement deck, with traps and such. [/SNIP]

Nice :) I've been redoing my Movement deck today and trying to get I:Meditation to get some value in his new form - which isn't proving as difficult as I first thought it would be tbh.

The thing with ST Movement is that you can get through your R3 win cards quite easily in the earlier rounds, which leaves you with... well, not much tbh. Compared to some decks that are about now, Movement doesn't put out a lot of power through individual cards - they're definitely more of a slow burn/combo deck, but when you do get a good combo going though it's awesome - especiallly if you can get all three of your archers out in the same round and going off at once as you move oppo's pieces around the board and into your traps using Aard/Zoltan etc - it's great fun :)

Movement is really good once you get your engines going, but I mean, the same applies to other engine archetypes. Pit Trap is also really good card if you can save it for a long 3rd round. I was able to get to rank 12 playing my Elf Swap deck last season and I thought that was pretty cool since I didn't use Iorveth: Meditation, Isengrim: Outlaw nor Ithlinne. I'm currently rank 11 just from playing a Deathwish deck with Unseen Elder and Regis. I'm hoping I can get to Rank 15 just for that new border.

Last edited:
Yeah, no reason to think you can't compete just because you make your own decks. And movement decks - as low key as they supposedly are - can get you pretty far.

I tried a movement deck. But its not good due to,the amount,t of removal in the game. I really miss when. It made engine cards viable.

same here, dont care about netdecks, ranked, i play casual as NG only.
if i loose i loose, cry me a river over win ratio

I've been having fun trying to use cards other people don't use. A lot of power in decks comes from bronze units, and there's really not much one can do to change bronze synergy without destroying a deck in its entirety. So, a lot of the time bronze units will copy/paste some sort of synergy across everyone's decks.

Gold and silver is where one can have a lot of fun. I actually crafted the gold Skellige leader just to see if I could make him work somehow. He's not that good at all (just a point spitting machine), but it was a ton of fun when I actually did win.

There are others I want to try to make work, although the cost of crafting them is just insane when considering how wild they are.

Its true. Creating your own deck and moving up the ladder is awesome. If only everyone could enjoy as much

Custom decks are where the fun is. I make mine or alter a popular deck by changing out different gold and silvers. Better to just play casual unless you want to get angry. Ranked is still the same decks that are played a special way and custom decks most times won't match unless opponent gets a bad draw.

I always tried to make unique decks, and recently I started branching out from purely scoia'tael to some monsters and nilfgaard. Feels good.

Mancoon1980;n10467222 said:
Custom decks are where the fun is. I make mine or alter a popular deck by changing out different gold and silvers. Better to just play casual unless you want to get angry. Ranked is still the same decks that are played a special way and custom decks most times won't match unless opponent gets a bad draw.

Rank 21 might be tough if you're not playing one of the so-called tier 1 decks, but you don't have to netdeck to get to 19-20

TheShift;n10459822 said:
Welcome to.the club

:cheers:

My custom decks can carry me to rank 15 sometimes further..but like you I mostly play casual
I enjoy the extra goodies at seasons end which is the only reason ill play ranked
I'm by far not a strategic card player because this is just fun for me.
If I have to join the flock of sheep and play one of the net decks just to get a higher rank...NO THANKS
there's not that much pay off for me personally to be bothered with the grinding headache it takes to try and be a "pro" player in which I could care less

If I could, I'd give you a 10,000 kudos/red points.

Riven-Twain;n10469642 said:
Losing with it is rather deflating as well, when one's carefully-laid plans are abruptly punctured.

Indeed, I get your point. Sometimes I feel play the right card in the nick of time, only to have my hopes skewered by my opponent's next play.

As you say.. it is deflating.

Top Bottom