New Patch New Meta - The good and bad

+
Sade that I am in hospital since 5days and can't play my elvs :( . It's my fav faction and I reached r17 with them in the war against dwarves. Are ambush decks also back in the meta? Can't leave hospital before Tuesday and miss the chance to get the border.

I actually agree that current meta is quite diverse. My SK Axemen run from 15 to 19 rank in two days showed wide varience of decks, which was surprising. They are mostly the same decks as in previous season, which is a bit sad, but the amount of viable decks is high. Gwent feels much healthier that in previous season.

Mancoon1980;n10491202 said:
Id say 8 out of 10 games I play is still against ST. I'm so sick of scorch.

I'm with you. It seems there are a few experiencing the same as you and I. Last night I went up against eleven SC decks in a row. That's not normal. Overall, I see more SC opponents than anything else. SK Bears and Axefolk are next.

I just love how everyone here seems to forget that a faction challenge is going on. (ST vs SK)
This will heavily influence the decks played. Because goodies!

Give it a bit and the most OP decks will surface again.

After 2 weeks the meta finally settles down. I am at rank 20 and i am running into the same Brouver mulligan & Francesca again and again. You know that dorf spy opening and then use Cleaver?

After 2 weeks the meta finally settles down. I am at rank 20 and i am running into the same Brouver mulligan & Francesca again and again. You know that dorf spy opening and then use Cleaver?

While it does seem to be settling there, I am at least glad these decks are playable, both with and against :) compared to Dwarves, this is a big improvement I think

So NG Mill is still a thing (or coming back as a thing) - played 3 games against those decks today.

And roping every turn till counter is at zero is apparently a thing now too - even on last round/last card - rope to death and hope your oppo (being me) forfeits and then don't GG (not like I care either way; if you play like a dick, then I wouldn't expect a GG anyway) 2 games against players like that last couple of days... so yeah.... same old points spam same old removal at any cost seems to be the order of the day no matter what deck/faction you're playing.

Although I have seen some more diversity in the decks; actually played against a guy with SK Warships which was a nice surprise as I haven't seen them in ages. ST Movement and Queensguards too - so something old is new again. :)

Last edited:
pthieu1986;n10493542 said:

I still have to lose one game against Brouver Cleaver.

Probably ppl win with it because they are skilled, all the ones I see do not really know what to do past the initial opening move.

I still have to lose one game against Brouver Cleaver.

Probably ppl win with it because they are skilled, all the ones I see do not really know what to do past the initial opening move.

Same here ran across one guy who had saskia and ended up with an exclusively bronze core in his hand the last round. I don't think I've lost to Brouver either.

The coinflip became more of a problem , because the game lost quite a lot complexity. As others have said many decks are just vomiting points. I think making every unit agile was the baddest decision yet.

Obviously not every unit should be restricted to a row, but agility should mostly come from card mechanics, not a passive.

Last edited:
The coinflip became more of a problem , because the game lost quite a lot complexity. As others have said many decks are just vomiting points. I think making every unit agile was the baddest decision yet.

Disagreed about the former, agreed about the latter though. I just can't understand what CDPR's plan for the board is, if every unit is agile, what's the point of having "Melee", "Ranged" and "Siege" Rows?

I think the coinflip isnt as big of a problem when you look at a sample of say 100 games. Then it evens out. But it does matter quite a lot in a singled out match. (Thats why they made special rules in the tournaments). The complexity we had before brought more variables to the table, so "losing" the coinflip didnt mean a disadvantage like it is now.

MystereSC;n10495262 said:
I think the coinflip isnt as big of a problem when you look at a sample of say 100 games. Then it evens out. But it does matter quite a lot in a singled out match. (Thats why they made special rules in the tournaments). The complexity we had before brought more variables to the table, so "losing" the coinflip didnt mean a disadvantage like it is now.

The problem is, every time you lose due to a lost coinflip (which happens often) you don't have a lot of fun.
You can understand the game's result would have been very different if only you had not to start first.
Often the opponent understands it as well, and all he can do for you is sending a GG.

"On long terms coinflip evens out so it's balanced" is not a valid assumption, because the goal of the game is having fun.
And you aim to have fun every single game if possible, not spending 9-10 minutes to have the confirm the game outcome was chosen before R1 turn 1.

Ask ppl who grind to get the higher ladder rank, or need one more victory to complete a quest.

ser2440;n10488202 said:
I think it's still not viable but definitely stronger than it was before Midwinter.

What I could never get is why people use Drought. As NG you have no way to punish row stacking, Korathi Heatwave (as is its awesome new name :) ) is a counter-intuitive choice really

I use it in my reveal decks for two reasons. When certain opponents spread their units our (or it does it for them) when played on this and you force them to play a long round, it can be quiet devastating. Second, and main reason is, I see to many monster decks playing moonlight and moonlight on multiple rows. Being able to throw something down on all their rows negates their moonlight. Love when I do it and they sit there until the counter starts because they are like, uhm, there goes my plan.

That's weird though. I always save my boons against reveal. And then use them to cancel out the hazards

So I climbed to rank 20 the last 3 days playing Harald. Here is the meta I faced: 9 Brouver (78%), 5 Calveit (40%), 3 Henselt (100%), 3 Dagon (100%), 2 Harald (50%), 2 Radovid (armor), 0% ;( , 1 Francesca won, 1 Voorhis and 1 Bran (both lost).

Overall, it is kind of ironic that we still see a lot of Brouver after they nerfed dwarves so much, but actually all of those were Swim's elves list. (And as you can see Harald trounces them.) So elves point-throw and alchemy makes up for half of my games, but the other half is pretty diverse. I had a lot of fun.

About the coin-flip, I won ~70% of red coins and 50% of blue coins, so it is not the end of the world, but it still a significant difference. (I was a bit lucky on coin-flip.)

But as the guy above said, it is not about the win-rate: I even felt bad for the times I just won the game on the first card played, because the opponent didn't have the counter for my spy, and he had to allow me a really long round 3 as Harald.

Esmer;n10489852 said:
One of the Brouver decks was actually interesting enough to pull Barclay into Cleaver on turn one for 24 points swing. But the rest is boring "spam elves, mulligan officers".

Hardly interesting. People are just netdecking en mass. Swim put out a video with this Brouver-Barclay-Cleaver deck a few days ago (calling it a tier 1 deck) and I've been running into the same exact decklist numerous times since then.

Top Bottom