So Sick Of Point Spam, It's Unreal

+
Still new to the the game (and card games in general), there does seem to be some BS tactics put there that are putting me off investing any money in the game.
excuse my lack of knowledge on the terminology, but the following have annoyed me recently;
-revealing cards still in hand and not yet played (so they're pretty much protected) and using them to attach cards on the board.
-ciri nova.
-playing a single card and half your opponents deck seems to materialise.
-no penalty for every turn seeing your opponents timer (I'm sure this is a tactic to annoy your opposition)

MrInk5000;n10503722 said:
Still new to the the game (and card games in general), there does seem to be some BS tactics put there that are putting me off investing any money in the game.
excuse my lack of knowledge on the terminology, but the following have annoyed me recently;
-revealing cards still in hand and not yet played (so they're pretty much protected) and using them to attach cards on the board.
-ciri nova.
-no penalty for every turn seeing your opponents timer (I'm sure this is a tactic to annoy your opposition)

You can deal with all these strategies:
1. Reveal: Reveal is an archetype that sacrifices raw points for knowledge of your opponent's hand. Alchemist is only a 9 pt bronze whereas other deck's bronzes average at 13 pts. They are dangerous only with mangonel on board - so kill mangonels as soon as they appear. Many cards can kill them reliably. e.g. Iorveth, Panther, Vernon, Madman lugos, etc. Also, bleed reveal in round 2 down to the last card, forcing them to use all scorches and villentretenmerth, etc. if they have it.

2. Ciri Nova is a problem - agree with you completely. Have a long round 3 if possible, but even this may not work always. Try to identify if a deck runs ciri nova by looking at the number of cards in their deck at the start of the match (16 = nova) and keep track of how many bronzes of each type played - try to bleed them of their ciri nova in round 2 - but this is hard.

3. Dont get this one...
4. Don't get this one either but if you're referring to roping, don't see how it is a problem.

5. Being able to replay scorch: Many ways to deal with this - don't align two high power units, if your opponent aligns them, play something bigger or consider passing if you're ahead on points. Save your spy and play it round 3 to block their scorch, etc. Scorch decks don't have any high value units and win by scorching your stuff, so if you can generate lots of points with non-aligned units you shouldn't have any problems...

Also try a few matches with the archetypes you have trouble against and you will learn their weaknesses!

Last edited:
In ranked I've seen some well-made decks. Casual is where the bad stuff is IMO. Not only does it depend on the daily (i.e. non-ranked matches played, amount of cards played) but all I've seen are players throwing everything they have just to win the first round just to complete the dailies. In ranked, normally, if you have the lead, it would be better to pass and let your opponent take it for the card advantage in round 3 but casual, they'll continue to throw cards until the you pass. I've been in casual matches where I have such a huge point lead I'll pass and the opponent plays all their cards in order to win at least one, then forfeits. Not much skill when it comes to casual, sadly.

Currently i'm lvl 24, rank 12, most decks in ranked are well made and it's tough b/c I lack some of the better cards to pull of those good combos.

Sadly, not much to be done. It's been the same style on both game modes since the closed beta. there are days I just want to stop playing and move on but, if you have a favorite faction and decide to make a new archetype, it can keep you interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
BlunderMan;n10501352 said:
Never understood the hate for the create mechanic. If you don't like it, use decks that don't rely on create and laugh when your opponent creates something that backfires on them, which seems to happen very often.

In a perfect world, this works. In the real world, the opponent always seems to create cards he needs. Nothing worse than playing perfectly, only to be beaten by RNG. Create cards are RARELY bricks. You'll get something usefull most of the time.

AVK1995 Replying on my phone, and it won't seem to let me quote you.
I will book mark your response and have a proper read when I take the time to build my next deck.

Point 3, when an opponents single turn seem to chain into building and drawing cards until 4 or 5 appear.

Point 4, when every single one of your opponents turns take so long the timer activates, even when they're down to one or two cards. It feels like a tactic to frustrate.

MrInk5000;n10503722 said:
-ciri nova.

I stopped spending money on the game months ago because of the bs... since then it has gotten worse

The point decks are just the baseline to beat. . . just like other games have rush decks that are tier 1 or 2

It sounds like there are counters available for these popular decks; things you can fit into any deck

Bears are Frigging Stupid

Point vomit without any intelligence required -- who thought this was a good idea?

Why is it still in the game?

I thought gwent was targeting an older and more 'intelligent' demographic than hearthstone.

Hurr durr bear spam

Edit: No longer GG'ing bear spam -- you guys should not do it either.

In the recent news, apparently, the top deck is Calveit spies. He-he, who would have thought. I like that the guy published his deck only after he reached the top, otherwise everyone would have been complaining about everybody playing OP spies. I remember playing against it once and it totally crushed me with my SK long ships but I didn't pay too much of attention to that as it was just one unusual game.

Maerd;n10521042 said:
In the recent news, apparently, the top deck is Calveit spies. He-he, who would have thought. I like that the guy published his deck only after he reached the top, otherwise everyone would have been complaining about everybody playing OP spies. I remember playing against it once and it totally crushed me with my SK long ships but I didn't pay too much of attention to that as it was just one unusual game.

Do you have a link to the deck by chance? I'd be curious to see the best deck in the world right now.

Not that that says much; gwent is in a sorry state right now.

Mystikast it's the classic Calveit Spy Deck with Rotties, but with Letho and Regis combo at the end. What's old is new, I guess.

Waiting for Iris to be addressed after CHorn.

Sent you PM. It uses creatively Rot Tossers as an engine to create more spying bodies with a probability to eliminate some high units by eliminating weak units in a row by enforcers, and finishes with Letho-Regis combo. Really ingenious design.

Also being one win from GM rank yesterday I ran into some creative cursed NR control deck, which prevented me from getting rank 21 twice in 4 games. It utilizes hard removal with thunders, Villentretenmerth, scorch, flails, and smartly utilizes kaedweny revenants (one at a time, saving them for the right moment). The leader is Radovid.

Last edited:
Top Bottom