Is there any point to keep playing without investing money?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's put it this way. There is no point in playing gwent full stop. Because the moment you invest money is the moment they change the game beyond recognition again.

I play exclusively F2p and it can be done, but I agree, starting out is hard.
I recommend you play the required amount of games to get the 6 rounds win bonus every day at minimum and also maybe the 12 round win bonus every day, then call it on your playing as the rewards from then on aren't really worth the investment in time taken to get them.

I don't recommend milling all your other cards away to concentrate on one or two particular factions; I did this, and painted myself into a corner by sacrificing variety in play for stronger decks early on. I also found that what counts as a 'strong' deck early on, gradually becomes weaker the more you play, especially against some of the more diverse decks you can meet, so try and balance your collection/factions and decks so that you're not constantly stuck playing the same deck/faction over and over and over again.

I do recommend choosing one particular faction and becoming very familiar with it, and building multiple different decks using that one faction and using all the different leaders of that faction; you'll find that by doing so you can figure what works well together but more importantly what doesn't work well together. Try and learn from your oppo's - especially if they're playing the same faction as you; they may do something that you never thought about or considered, which you can then use next time around. This sort of skill easily carries over into other factions and general deck building etc and is well worth having imho.

Hope that helps some.

Brio1;n10503822 said:
"is there any point to keep playing without investing money" that is the perfection description for hearthstone, not gwent (gwent is the complete opposite for me).

Idk, I played hearthstone since alpha, and I must admit I enjoyed it and actually never invested a single cent into it. I just recently droped off of it and the reason was cause they've started doing some pretty lame stuf, that being each expansion introduced more and more op cards that were completely breaking the game. IF several years ago you could complain about a legendary card there that was just stronger than any other card thanks to some additional effect it had as a bonus to some good stats, now one card in hs can single-handedly win the game. I even think I stayed with hs for longer than I should have, guess cause I was hoping it was just a one time occurance, but no they proceeded with more and more completely broken op cards.
And thing about gwent is that it feels already kinda similar only that here its entire deck that's total dominant bullS. imho there should not be THAT much combo allowed, or it should be like really easy to disturb/counter, but alas quite contrary, the game has no counter plays to any shenanigans your opponent would want to throw at you, and only real punish being scorch (again you need to draw it, and set it up properly). I mean yes gwent has no single card that would win you the game (unlike hs), but unlike hs, full gwent collection gives so much power that I sometimes wonder if people playing those op decks even use their brain. In hs you still need a bit of brains to at least know WHEN to drop your op-I-win card. In gwent, those top decks, you don't need brains you just need to know what goes first and what follows that's it, you don't care about opponent turns, you're not scared of any counters you technically can't mess up since you can only play 1 card per turn. Hs felt like it needed skill, maybe it was a false feeling, but damn victories through rng were fun. Here losing to some bs that you have no chances to counter or beat - where's the fun? in other words I'd much rather win with rng, feeling like I did some right moves actually to win, than guaranteed lose knowing well that there was initially ZERO chances for me to win. (And I had such games in gwent already. I got 2 cards advantage over a guy and he still won, cause in the last round he's been throwing absolutely sick combos, buffing everything every turn, while I was playing my 11-12 power cards, he won with 20+ power advantage being 2 cards behind). - this type of comboing is absolutely anti-fun, and a poor design imho.

Last edited:
Some things that I think are important:

1) Don't mill ANY factions and leaders. You'll most likely regret it later.
​​​​​
2) Always play ranked. Always. The rewards are much much better and you got nothing to lose. You also get pretty nice end-season rewards. If I reached rank 15 before spending money you can too. Minimum rank 15.

3) Most importantly keep playing and learn. As a beginner the most important thing is learning. This is not Hearthstone where you can constantly win with nothing but RNG, you have to learn the tactics, combos and cards that are popular in the meta so you know how to counter or play around them. Again, just play and watch streams on Twitch if you can or want and you'll learn pretty fast.

4) Have fun.

zeph08;n10503442 said:
Casual also has players well above his rank to include MMR. It's demotivating all around

Is there a game where that doesn't happen? At least there are no penalties for losing.

tealquest;n10503342 said:
Thanks for your help guys. Yeah dwarf deck is my main for now, didn't need to craft anything for it and I got that silver archer unit that deals 6 to the "end of row" (which is one of the reasons why I came to these forums in the first place. It looked really strong, but I couldnt figure out what "end of row" means, seemed like random shooting to me)

As for ng I still don't buy it, examples I'm hearing all either require me to craft entire faction of bronzes, or, if I don't craft them and just use a couple of synergy cards, imho won't work well enough to compensate for lack of power ng units got otherwise. I mean, I played against those "unfinished" decks. Yeah some turns from those were scary, when people were throwing 20+ power on board in a single turn, but I was still able to win those games, just cause I've been slaming 11+ every turn, and they were not. Again, obviously any time there were combo shenanigans they've been pulling off turn after turn - that I couldn't win. But I can not repeat those shenanigans anyway, it would require me to craft entire faction of spies... And as with milling entire factions is a bad move, so is crafting entire faction - I think. Don't want to spend everything I got on one deck.

Again, you're still talking solely numbers and that's just not the way to look at Gwent. Yes, at the end of it all, the person with the highest points wins, but there's far more to it than that. There's plenty of decks out there that don't rely on big unit decks, hell, the entire point of something like a swarm deck is you won't be slamming out 11+ points per turn, but that end result gives you huge advantage after the build up. You see a 1point card and say "that's not 11 points, it's weak" a more experience player sees it and things "that thins my deck and makes my deck more efficient, it's very strong". You're talking about OP decks and brainless opponents and "top decks" like you know what you're talking about, but then you openly admit you didn't even know what "end of row" meant. There is nothing wrong with weather clear, those who use weather decks fully understand how to work around players possibly having weather clear. Same as experience players knowing how to work around things like scorch and igni.

I feel like you're not taking in the advice being given. I clearly said you wouldn't need to craft an entire deck for something like spies, because you have almost all the cards you need already and very good golds and silver staters. To make a competitive spies deck in lower levels, you'd need to spend a MAXIMUM of maybe 400scraps. Probably not even that. And that's not all straight away, that's as you play the game and slowly replace cards. 400 scraps is a very very small amount for making a good deck.

You also have to remember the people you're playing against are also new, if they make dumb mistakes or don't know how to pilot decks properly, it's because they're new too. They're not brainless, they're just learning a totally new game.

You just need to play for a bit to get the hang of things, and maybe take a step back on calling things OP because honestly, there's not much in this meta that warrants that title at the moment. Enjoy the learning experience, and definitely watch some youtube vids of people playing, or even better; go on youtube and find the Gwent Open videos. Watch some of the pros play and see how they think through it all.

Gwent is ridiculously player friendly. I spent very little money, and I have all the cards I want and now I'm saving thousands of gold for arena and I have thousands of scraps for new expansions. I can play top decks in all factions but NG. (I literally have 0 wins with NG.) And this is an important difference from Hearthstone: I can also play any meme and fun decks if I want to. Nowadays I only spend money for meteorite powder (aesthetics).

So yes, Gwent is certainly worth it if you are not spending money.

If you are starting, focus on getting better on the game. Frequently, when you are starting, you see new cards and they look very strong, and you want to assume that that is why you lost. But really, you probably made tens of mistakes during deck building and playing, and that is what costed you. And that is completely normal: you are new. My tip is: focus more on playing right and understanding the game than on collection and cards. They will soon come. Silvers cost 200 scraps, which is basically nothing really, and crafting 2-3 will already improve your deck significantly.

Anyway, this thread made me realize the game is very different for beginners from when I started. (Closed beta.) I think I'll make a new account and try it out.

Bondonkadonk;n10505232 said:
You also have to remember the people you're playing against are also new, if they make dumb mistakes or don't know how to pilot decks properly, it's because they're new too. They're not brainless, they're just learning a totally new game.

And I think you didn't read my posts well enough, or didn't want to understand what I was saying. I think, for example, that gwent official site advice on their front page is useless: "if you can't overpower them, trick your way to victory" - it only works vs ai really, most of the time people are not dumb they won't let you trick them (yeh they do make mistakes from time to time, but I try to discard such cases and don't count them like at all, I obviously played some games where I saw people making mistakes and obviously I made mistakes here and there), when I was saying brainless, I was mainly talking about sheer power of those decks (yeah with 1 power units), decks that are all about combo have so much power that you don't really care about outsmarting anyone, you just repeatedly card after card amass your dominance over weaker deck. And I'd much rather play those decks (with low cost cards, but high combo potential), but they (as it turns out for some absolutely accidental reason (sarcasm intended here)) require full deck of non-starter cards.

Its like several times already I tried to go into deck building with only intent to make ng deck, and every time I end up staring at the cards I'm missing and just closing it all, returning to dwarf deck cause I can easily see that to make a good ng deck, I'd need too much resources. With just few cards it simply going to be a bad (either low power - that includes all combo interactions, or not working very often - cause again, you need to draw into some pieces to make it work) deck.

EDIT: give me full (noob) deck list for ng, and I'll look into it. What's the point of throwing words like this. Maybe I'm really missing something cause I'm new.

EDIT: give me full (noob) deck list for ng, and I'll look into it. What's the point of throwing words like this. Maybe I'm really missing something cause I'm new.

NG was my primary faction when I started and has been until Midwinter when I shifted into Monsters. I can tell you I immediately started playing Spies, and developing them as time went on. My initial decklist was the starter deck, which is:

Cahir
Royal Decree
Geralt of Rivia
Triss Merigold

Decoy
Commander's Horn
Scorch
Roach
Peter Saar Gwynleve
Dudu

2x Vicovaro Medic (80 scraps)
2x Emissary (80 scraps)
2x Rot Tosser (30 scraps I think)
2x Impera Enforcer (30 scraps)
2x First Light
3x Deithwenn Arbalest (30 scraps)
2x Ambassador (30 scraps)

I remember browsing through the cards, I quickly realized "whoah, Impera Brigades would work with this deck but I don't have the scraps yet. Let's craft a Nauzicaa Brigade instead. I should also look into using Ambassadors"

For a long time, my spy deck was the aforementioned one, with 3 rot tossers, 3 emissaries, 2 enforcers, First light, 3 Nauzicaa Brigade, 1 ambassador and 2 Vicovaro Medics as its bronze core. I played all my spies on the same row and then used a rot tosser to dispose of them all. Then I scraped enough scraps together to craft a silver so I went there and looked. I already loved using Emhyr to bounce vicovaros back and forth and resurrect spies so I figured one of the best silvers I could craft was Ceallach, ditching Dudu or Roach first. Then I continued deck building, at first adding one Impera Brigade, Then 2 while slowly ditching the Rot tossers and the Nauzicaa. I didn't need rot tossers now that Impera Brigades were in my deck, since they were empowered by the presence of spies.

Then the second silver I crafted was Joachim De Wett I think, while getting Menno Coehoorn and an Infiltrator from a keg. I incorporated them in my deck as soon as I got those and from the bottom up, without even looking at tutorials or videos or streams I crafted a deck that performed decently in the lower to mid ranks. It was afterwards, after I was satisfied with it, that I started playing Ranked.
Some time in between I used Vilgefortz to scorch my own unit and play the top card in the deck, which happened to be scorch and it killed my Impera Brigade. I realized that scorch won't work when you have the most powerful targets in the board, obviously so I took it out

Eventually, after I watched the top players compete in tournaments with spies as well, it reached the form it has today which is:

Cahir
Vilgefortz
Menno Coehoorn
Rainfarn (I took a while to get this one actually. I used Royal Decree for a long time in order to summon Cahir)

Decoy
Ceallach
Joachim De Wett
Cantarella
Assire/Vanhemar (I get bored of one and swap it for the other :p )
Iris Von Everec

3x Impera Enforcers (you should be able to get these, they are at the lowest tier of bronzes)
3x Emissaries (you should already have 2)
3x Vicovaro Medic
3x Impera Brigades (these are a bit more expensive, add them over time :) )
3X Infiltrator (same as the Brigades)

And there you have it. It took time sure but it never stopped being playable. Not even while I was developing it

Last edited:
tealquest;n10505542 said:
And I think you didn't read my posts well enough, or didn't want to understand what I was saying. I think, for example, that gwent official site advice on their front page is useless: "if you can't overpower them, trick your way to victory" - it only works vs ai really, most of the time people are not dumb they won't let you trick them (yeh they do make mistakes from time to time, but I try to discard such cases and don't count them like at all, I obviously played some games where I saw people making mistakes and obviously I made mistakes here and there), when I was saying brainless, I was mainly talking about sheer power of those decks (yeah with 1 power units), decks that are all about combo have so much power that you don't really care about outsmarting anyone, you just repeatedly card after card amass your dominance over weaker deck. And I'd much rather play those decks (with low cost cards, but high combo potential), but they (as it turns out for some absolutely accidental reason (sarcasm intended here)) require full deck of non-starter cards.

Its like several times already I tried to go into deck building with only intent to make ng deck, and every time I end up staring at the cards I'm missing and just closing it all, returning to dwarf deck cause I can easily see that to make a good ng deck, I'd need too much resources. With just few cards it simply going to be a bad (either low power - that includes all combo interactions, or not working very often - cause again, you need to draw into some pieces to make it work) deck.

Yeah, sorry mate, wasn't having a go! I can see where you're coming from and since the last patch, points have been more important than ever. Bronze cards especially have had huge power creeps in the last year. Used to be that a "strong" bronze was about 8 to 10 at full value. Now you can play 12+ bronze with no set up, just slap it down and get full value. However, saying that, a lot of the best decks still require a bit more thought behind them than simply slapping down 12 str bronze after 12 str bronze, and you'll notice that change as you climb up.

If you truly are interested in NG, I can have a quick look at the starter deck and make a few changes! Or if there's any other faction that interests you more, I can have a look there too?

Oh and ser2440 the starter decks have changed since then. The NG is rainfarn not cahir (lol i always type chair) and silvers now include canterella, joachim, no peter.

ser2440;n10505792 said:
Cahir Royal Decree Geralt of Rivia Triss Merigold
Decoy Commander's Horn Scorch Roach Peter Saar Gwynleve Dudu
2x Vicovaro Medic (80 scraps) 2x Emissary (80 scraps) 2x Rot Tosser (30 scraps I think) 2x Impera Enforcer (30 scraps) 2x First Light 3x Deithwenn Arbalest (30 scraps) 2x Ambassador (30 scraps)

this is not initial, its completely different deck.

here's what I got for starter deck:

geralt
triss
royal
rainfarn

cantarella
joachim
roach
dudu
commander's horn
manticore venom

infiltrator x3
arbalest x3
engineer x3
alba pikemen x3
emmisary x2
first light

This is the sort of thing I made when I started a fresh account. It may look like a lot but actually bronze cost is fairly low and can be made pretty quickly. Priority is Impera Brigade and that extra emissary. Once you have those, just slowly replace other bronzes with the above. I'd personally also consider at least one Nauzicaa bridgade, just for that rainfarn > joachim > brigade combo I talked about, but obviously you have to do quite a bit of set up to know that your joachim will pull that card, so that's probably for later in the learning curve.

This linked deck also added Caellach into a silver slot. He is the most important spy silver, but he's by no means the one you should be crafting first. Focus on bronzes, then only once you have all them should you consider new silvers. Other good spy golds, just in case you somehow get luck in a keg, are cahir, menno, vilgefortz. I'm also a personal lover of geralt igni, and he's a neutral so works in other decks too, but some people don't find him as good. Personal preference.

Again, this is only if you're interested in investing into NG, all factions are viable in their own right. You just gotta decide what sort of thing you want to aim for, as every faction plays somewhat differently and has several archetypes within them. For instance NG aren't only spies, they also have an archetype call reveal that focuses on seeing what your opponents hand is and sabotaging their plays, and they also have an alchemy archetype which uses a card called viper witchers to heavily damage and remove your opponents cards from the board, while also buffing your own side with alchemy cards.

brigade 80x3
enforcer 30x3
meficine 80x3
=

that's already more than I have. and As I said in earlier posts, so I'm dumping all my resources to craft just one more deck. A lot of people are saying here that milling whole factions is bad, but what about crafting? Isn't it the same thing? I waste my resources to make just one deck, then in like next kegs I'll get cards I just crafted and suddenly I'm stuck with only 3 noob-decent decks for a very long time?

Yes that;s exactly the cards I was looking at when I was thinking about getting anything done with ng, and decided against it cause I'd much rather craft 1-2 cards to possibly strengthen one of my actually working 3 decks (say if I pull some good cards for one of them in next several kegs), than spend everything on just one (again only semi-decent) deck.

EDIT: for example I got skillege deck that only has 2 priestesses of frey, I'd much rather craft 3rd one (I still didn't do it) and have its strength go up I'd say somewhat noticably, for only 80 resources, than spend 570 to get another deck going thats probably gonna be as strong as skillege with pure 11+ power cards in it + 3 priestesses.

Last edited:
I know they have changed I was just describing my creative thought process and how I went about developing my deck Bondonkadonk and tealquest :) it was just an example of the process which I assume most of us followed more or less to get where we are.

But that's the thing, pick ONE faction for starters, don't mill the rest, just any faction that appeals to you and start developing it from the bottom up. 3rd priestess is a great idea.

Like, that's all we've been saying :)

=

that's already more than I have

Dude, 3 pages of saying the same thing. You don't have to craft all of these AT ONCE. Craft ONE of these, place it in the deck, play with it, then craft another, rinse and repeat

Last edited:
The game gives you 10 gold cards that you can mill out of the gate
1.5x kegs a day if you just play the minimal games

You should be able to buy any deck you want in <1 month of playing

Yeah, like Ser said, I never suggested spending 570 scraps immediately. That's why I gave you a priority list. You craft them as and when you want, but with each replacement you'll notice the deck get a little more streamlined and efficient. If you're not interested in NG, that's fine! But as much as you seem reluctant to spend on one faction alone, I do think you're better focusing slightly on one over others, otherwise you're going to have a lot of okay decks rather than a few good ones. Like. I've got about 250ish hours in gwent (since closed beta, there has been a reset of cards since then so maybe about 100hrs since the reset) and even after that time, my collection for ST is absolutely dire. If I try to make a ST deck I just have none of the golds for it. Why? Because I quickly realised they weren't a faction that interested me, so I focused on getting cards for other factions. Because I knew I liked NG, I put most of my resources into crafting NG cards and can now make ANY kind of NG deck, and have the freedom to experiment and make my own decks with all the NG cards I have access to. I have about 5k scraps rn so if I wanted to, I COULD invest in a good ST deck, I just choose not to. ;P

If SK interest you, then by all means craft another priestess! But yeah, I really wouldn't stress about what starter decks are great or not, and how much you need to invest to make them better. Just play whatever faction interests you and focus on slowly replacing one bronze at a time, bit by bit. You'll find within a few weeks of playing you'll have a great deck built up :D

ser2440;n10506442 said:
Dude, 3 pages of saying the same thing. You don't have to craft all of these AT ONCE. Craft ONE of these, place it in the deck, play with it, then craft another, rinse and repeat

And I said that I already went through this thought process, and my conclusion is: its not worth crafting a bad deck, without 570 investment the deck is going to be worse than my Skillege deck (that I use to compare all other decks to). ITs the same with every deck really. Yes I can make muli elf deck with only 1 card that actually muligans something, but why?! its gonna be horrible deck that would probably have 10% win rate.

I am interested in having multiple decks, but I also mentioned it in multiple posts already that I don't want to make new deck just for the sake of making new deck, it needs to be as strong as skillege pure 11+power deck otherwise I won't even be able to wreck all the noobs who follow your advices and craft bad decks with only 1 synergy working :p

No it won't be. Having actually developed a deck from the bottom up, the system keeps matching you with people that have similar cards. It will still be playable. My silly spy deck with the rot tossers and the nauzicaa was.

but even so, you can start with ONE triplet. The three Enforcers are only 90 scraps. So are the ambassadors. You can craft one triplet first and then play with them a bit to earn more scraps to craft the rest. Have a little faith in yourself dammit how else are you going to beat your opponents? :p

Sure your deck will be better when you also add the other triplets, (since we started with NilfgaardI'll keep using them as an example but the process is the same with any facrion you choose) but until then, bronzes that are worth 11 points without setup are not bad. There is nothing wrong with a deck that runs 3 enforcers instead of pikemen but also has arbalests. Arbalests are good for starters, and engineers are 11 points without setup. That IS a deck that has a combo right there, in fact in said example, the only non synergistic cards are engineers and first light. The latter is never bad, I run it in most of my decks even now.

In your case, you can add the third priestess just like in NG you could add the third emissary. But don't tell me you wanted the super deck with ALL cards synergizing with each other a week into the game :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom