Udalryk - SK silver spy

+
Udalryk - SK silver spy

I'm starting to really hate this card, like mad, angry, furious hate, especially when play at the start early because u need to counter the opponent spy or when play any other time then round 3, the fact that you must discard the card u do not choose is incredibly frustrating and unfair to SK!!! Seriously, come one, please change this card.

To be honest - it's one of the fairest Silver Spy mechanic. You HAVE to have some drawback for your CA. Thus said, even Cantarella does have a drawback - put one card on the bottom of your deck (even though lately I experienced a dead Reconnaissance being drawn by Albricht for whatever reason, no matter that I put it on the bottom of my deck and had 3 more cards in it).

And Frightener is perhaps the worse SS out there, no matter what.

But, a question: what are the drawbacks for Thaler and Yaevin?

Answer: absolutely nonexistent.

Udalryk was designed for the discard archetype, at time when discard and resurrection was the way to play Skellige. For that archetype, discard is generally regarded to be a benefit, not a shortcoming. However, even without playing discard, thinning deck by one card and having a target for resurrection is often quite nice - though it does backfire badly from time to time... In any case, it is a more interesting card than a regular spy. However the decision to make all spies having exactly same amount of points indeed leads to a question why the spies are not equal in their capabilities as some are better than the others, despite giving the same card advantage...

I've always hated the fact that Udalryk discards a card. Like sometimes you're presented with two gold cards and you HAVE to get rid of one which really sucks. It's not like every card in Skellige benefits from getting discarded. I guess their thought process was that everybody runs resurrections in Skellige but what if you discard a Priestess of Freya or a silver card? I really doubt they'll change the card but we can try to get them to, at least.

I guess their thought process was that everybody runs resurrections in Skellige but what if you discard a Priestess of Freya or a silver card? I really doubt they'll change the card but we can try to get them to, at least.

Except at the time this was designed, everyone did run resurrections. Plus, also at that time, discarding things from your deck did not banish them. You could discard Priestesses, Sigrdrifa and an operator and revive them, they only got banished when sent from the board to the graveyard. I do agree it is a bit problematic currently though.

The Frightener was similarly designed for the Wild Hunt and hazard play. And that's where it really gets some value over time. Especially considering it lengthens the round. However it doesn't allow you to choose what you draw, a significant drawback
Cantarella has synergy with the spy deck while also having the drawback of placing the other card on the bottom of one's deck
The other 2 have no drawbacks but they also have no synergies, with the possible exception of Thaler and the Dun Banner but I wouldn't count that as spy synergy. Yaevinn also runs the risk of being boosted by Iorveth for example. It's just that in this point spamming meta where synergies lose to tempo, well, these spies are more prevalent and dominant.

Thaler has the drawback that many NR decks rely on cards that you don't want to have in your hand for example Dun Banner. And Yaevin has the drawback that if you don't run special cards, you don't have any choice what you get. But both drawbacks are a bit outdated.

It would be great if there were more different spies in the game such that more archetypes had one that fitted them. But this requires them not being as problematic as they are currently. Then it would also be possible to change their values to balance their abilities out again.

Udalryk is the worst silver spy in the game. The number of games I've played where I had to discard Coral or Igni just to be able to get that much needed resurrection card (freya / restore) are way too many. Cantarella puts the other card at the bottom, but mulligan and card draws are now bugged so you can very much draw the last card easily. All silver spies need to be at the same power level...

FG15-ISH7EG;n10504102 said:
Thaler has the drawback that many NR decks rely on cards that you don't want to have in your hand for example Dun Banner....

This is not a drawback, this is a consequence of how you built your deck.

Yaevin can be a Frightener, yes, but how often - 1 out of 10 games, maybe? Nad how often Frightener draws you a second Crone, or a Foglet, or a Royal Decree while you have your other Golds in hand? 1 out 4 (and I am generous).

At least you get a choice. Monsters get a hail mary that you don't draw a Roach or a Foglet.

Udalryk change?

It's really frustrating to play a spy that discards one gold or silver card from your deck, really frustrating. And it's not like discard is a reliable way to build a deck.

Top Bottom