2018 the end of Gwent?

+
Hearthstone is becoming more popular; not a real direct competitor, but most people will only play 1 or 2 card games at once

MTG has a new digital game in beta right now and the 25th anniversary is drawing decent attention away

I personally was avoiding Gwent until the most recent patch where I thought it was finally up to my standards

The game is probably a long ways off from having a player base small enough to effect normal play

AVK1995;n10513912 said:
CDPR is a great company that realizes its mistakes and is working hard to correct them.

Yeah, um. Are they though? Are they really? Because all I've seen since day one is a team of developers with no clear idea what their product is, constantly chasing their tales. This game has been about 20 different hybrids of something since the Closed Beta but not once has it just been something.

4RM3D;n10514392 said:
Thronebreaker hasn't even been released yet. Never mind the arena, the new expansion and the new faction.

Man, you're right. Let's just add some sprinkles to this dogpoo cake and pretend the cake is now chocolate!

This game in general is in such a poor state. As if they don't even bother to test any of it before releasing it. I love how people are saying 'Git gut', without there being a chance to even counter the mulligan bullshit with bronze cards. I've played so many games that got fucked over due to poor testing, marketing and planning. But this is beyond a joke. Of course, it's a beta. But does that mean you can be lazy and just release shit you haven't tested? No! Especially not when they rely so heavily upon kegs being sold.

After 14 months, this is not a beta anymore. It's a poor excuse of a game.

Esmer;n10517442 said:
Do you know how many streamers, including Lifecoach and Merchant, stopped playing HS? Is it dead yet?

Have said it is on death's door? I stated that those things are alarming, as Gwent is not Heartstone to feel comfortable with such occasions.

RoryKoin;n10518312 said:
I love how people are saying 'Git gut', without there being a chance to even counter the mulligan bullshit with bronze cards.

Don't know about you, but my deck has a positive winrate up to 4k MMR against all Mulligan decks, and only struggles to beat Brouver when on the Blue coin (meaning when I play first). So yeah, there is a chance to counter that.

Part of the reason why there is so few peoples at higher mmr is because of the recent change on the season lenght. I obviously don't have the number of people activaly playing the game right now but I'm sure it's not as low as you might think.

Also, a dying game isn't really hard to recognize, look at For honor for example, you search for a game and can make the coffee before finding one, we're still able to find games without any issue (or at least I can) so I'm not concerned about that.

Esmer;n10517372 said:
I love how games are being compared to games that's have not been released yet.

If you don't think Gwent is a good game, don't play it. It's that simple. But don't bury the game many people enjoy.

Its more than fair to compare to the 2 games it'll be directly competing with (bare in mind i use compete lightly there, as i dont think Gwent has much hope against either frankly.) Yes, we dont know much about Artifact but we do know Valve has a track record of being far, far better at balancing than CDPR and MTG is MTG, you know what your getting with that.

And i do hardly play Gwent, as i think the game is utter garbage in its current form. Is it completely dead yet? No. But unless it drastically alters its course and starts fixing issues at its core then its naive to think it can survive the release of 2 games that will by default start with a far, far larger audience.

Last edited:
Zjiin;n10519642 said:
Its more than fair to compare to the 2 games it'll be directly competing with (bare in mind i use compete lightly there, as i dont think Gwent has much hope against either frankly.) Yes, we dont know much about Artifact but we do know Valve has a track record of being far, far better at balancing than CDPR and MTG is MTG, you know what your getting with that.

And i do hardly play Gwent, as i think the game is utter garbage in its current form. Is it completely dead yet? No. But unless it drastically alters its course and starts fixing issues at its core then its naive to think it can survive the release of 2 games that will by default start with a far, far larger audience.

Not trying to argue here, but once Gwent is released on steam (which, iirc, CDPR have said it will be after proper release) - its player base ought to increase substantially.

It's funny how people think that because new card games are coming out it's going to be the end of Gwent.
The vast majority of CCG players play multiple games (I'm playing Gwent and MTG, for example, and I know for a fact that a lot of people does the same) I don't see how it would be a problem.

Besides, Gwent is unique in many ways compared to other card games so I'm not even slightly concerned about that.

Zjiin;n10519642 said:
Its more than fair to compare to the 2 games it'll be directly competing with (bare in mind i use compete lightly there, as i dont think Gwent has much hope against either frankly.) Yes, we dont know much about Artifact but we do know Valve has a track record of being far, far better at balancing than CDPR.
I don't really agree with that, CDPR is very good at ballancing their games, they prooved it multiple times (even with Gwent...Just for recall, the meta right before the midwinter patch was nearly perfect, that was easily the most ballanced card game I've ever played in my entire life (and believe me I've played quiet a few)). You just keep their flows in mind without thinking about their victories.

Also, Valve are known for being good at ballancing their games but they never made card games before, believe it or not but ballancing a card game is completely different than ballancing a video game (and I know we're talking about VG but you got my point).

Last edited:
I always get the feeling that when people say that CDPR doesn't have a clear direction for the game, what they actually mean is that the direction the game is going is one they don't like.

Making all units agile, for example, is something they have been moving in that direction since the beginning of open beta. It was very clear since the beginning of Gwent that the designers didn't like row-lock, and that the game was moving away from that.

Maybe the problem is the opposite: they are working in a longer time-span than most of the players. Making some simplified cards for draft and core set (like every draft CCG has), for example. A lot of people just couldn't understand why they made so simple cards and simplified others, because we have now neither arena nor expansions. But once those come out, everything will make more sense.

And although this is complete speculation, I have the feeling that many of the bad cards in the game, they don't rework because they have a rework planned in the future when they introduce the new faction, or because they know of cards they are designing that interact with it, even if we know nothing of them yet.

I have a feeling they designed those easier simple cards to draw in more kids who will spend mom's money to instantly get the greatest simplest netdeck they can make then pretend they are smart..I more than anyone want the game to succeed but times I just shake my head. This last patch was a step in the right direction even though it was simple value changes not mechanics. Once these new card games come out the streamers will go where the players and the audience is. Many already had been asked by artifact to talk about their game. Even golden boys like S$im will move on as he knows nothing about the actual lore of the witcher and will move on as he most likely isn't emotionally attached like most of us who love the witcher series. I hope they really succeed. I keep playing even though it makes me want to smash my controller nightly. Something I have not done in close to 25 years.

You're all missing the point.
Gwent didn't fail because of its mechanics and metas. It failed because the playerbase lacks a competitive drive. Average players get their competitive drive from the pro scene. People play to get better only if getting better has a payoff. That's why most people play PvP games. Yes, they all realize they won't ever be pros when they play DotA2 or LoL or CS:GO but they play to get better. Why? Because there is deep down a hope that they could be there at the top and being there at the top is awesome. Teams and fans and all that. In HS for instance pretty much every pro has a team and gets a salary. Gwent offers none of that for the pros. Gwent tournaments don't even have a liquipedia page.
How many people play Gwent to get better? 1000? Is it even that many? The rest pretty much just play to pass the time.
If the game is just a fad, it will eventually be forgotten.
Someone mentioned how WoW is still being played. Even in WoW, a mostly PvE affair, people have that competitive drive to get world firsts and such. This is particularly apparent if you watch the private server scene and how every time a new server opens the hype is unreal. Everybody wants to start fresh because it's once again a chance to get that world first stuff.
Competitiveness keeps a PvP game alive and the pro scene provides it. Gwent pro scene is garbage so the game is slowly dying.

VladAtheris;n10520432 said:
You're all missing the point.
Gwent didn't fail because of its mechanics and metas. It failed because the playerbase lacks a competitive drive. Average players get their competitive drive from the pro scene. People play to get better only if getting better has a payoff. That's why most people play PvP games. Yes, they all realize they won't ever be pros when they play DotA2 or LoL or CS:GO but they play to get better. Why? Because there is deep down a hope that they could be there at the top and being there at the top is awesome. Teams and fans and all that. In HS for instance pretty much every pro has a team and gets a salary. Gwent offers none of that for the pros. Gwent tournaments don't even have a liquipedia page.
How many people play Gwent to get better? 1000? Is it even that many? The rest pretty much just play to pass the time.
If the game is just a fad, it will eventually be forgotten.
Someone mentioned how WoW is still being played. Even in WoW, a mostly PvE affair, people have that competitive drive to get world firsts and such. This is particularly apparent if you watch the private server scene and how every time a new server opens the hype is unreal. Everybody wants to start fresh because it's once again a chance to get that world first stuff.
Competitiveness keeps a PvP game alive and the pro scene provides it. Gwent pro scene is garbage so the game is slowly dying.

Hmm, although I see your point, I don't think it's as clear cut as I think you're making out. Just speaking from my own experience, I have many 'gamer' friends, and only one of them has more than a passing interest in games' pro scenes. And I'd consider us all pretty average gamers.

i think it goes without saying the pro scene is very important, but I think many of us play just to have fun and beat a real life opponent(s). I'm a huge dota2 player, among some other friends, and every now and again we look at pro videos - but I think, as 'average gamers' as you put it, we just like teaming up and having matches. After all, many games, dota included, were hugely popular even before the pro scene became as prominent as it is now.

Last edited:
I just logged in after not playing for a really long time and all my cards are gone.. I had bought some of them too.. unless I'm completely blind, my custom decks were no longer there and when I go to the deck builder I'm missing a ton of cards.... That's just not right unless I'm getting a refund on the cards I used to have... Not much of an incentive for ppl who haven't been back in a long time to check the game out again.

Jondiaz021;n10521572 said:
I just logged in after not playing for a really long time and all my cards are gone.

During the transition from Closed Beta to Open Beta, all accounts were wiped. This was announced by CDPR, back in the day.

Zjiin;n10519642 said:

Well, I played over a dozen different card games and I think most of those are utter garbage, including HS and Eternal. But I don't go to their forums and complain about them being bad, dead or not having a chance against some other game that is coming soon™.

Valve indeed has a track record. A track record of not giving the community what it asks for. Could this Artifact nobody knows nothing about be good? Perhaps. But I am pretty much sure it won't let you craft cards, and the majority will play the game only to trade cards on Steam Marketplace and try to make money with it (like people do with skins in CS: GO and Dota 2).

Don't know why you guys ask for balance in a card game that's just noobish of you. Maybe this is the first card game the must of you plays but until Know from all the cards game I played in my life their is 2 or 3 top decks like it or not. New sets of cards are to kill the top decks to make people pay or play the game to farm them for free. You know the price of a competitive mtg deck? Up to 3k of money. Just enjoy the free game and play the top decks if you want to go up in rankings or just play for fun in casual. For does who say the game is going to die just to say cardgames got the lowest community.

Top Bottom