Arena Matchmaking

+
Arena Matchmaking

I just wanted to ask how matchmaking works. I only played 6 games of Arena so far, but I got 9 wins 3 times already. I'd just like to know if matchmaking takes into account how many wins your deck currently has (like Hearthstone). Anyone else getting an absurdly high amount of 9 win runs, or am I just lucky?

I just started playing. Only played 1 time so far and made it to stage 8. I thought that it would pair a person on stage 9 with another person on stage 9 etc.. Every time you win some one else loses. So id would think the luck of your deck along with being a good player goes a long way

I was bored, killed a bit of time in arena... I got ass all for viable combos or even decent cards... first matchup with someone with 4x DJ and 3x Toruviel on top of a massive pot of golds... tried again with a different deck got 3x Merciless and matched up with not a single person using ambush... le sigh

personally I hope it matches by losses.... you have no losses, you get matched with the same... then by wins... that way the deck doing the best get matched with similar ones, at least towards the end.

DannyGuy;n10597922 said:
I just wanted to ask how matchmaking works. I only played 6 games of Arena so far, but I got 9 wins 3 times already. I'd just like to know if matchmaking takes into account how many wins your deck currently has (like Hearthstone). Anyone else getting an absurdly high amount of 9 win runs, or am I just lucky?

You're probably a good player and had some luck on the deckbuilding.
Also it sounds like you haven't been screwed by all the disconnecting to much.

The highest i made it to was stage 7, and on that trip i lost 1 of my lives because we both disconnected and i guess it both cost us 1 live.
that makes a big difference in how far you can get. it is as having 2 lives from the start basically.

Void_Singer;n10598852 said:
I was bored, killed a bit of time in arena... I got ass all for viable combos or even decent cards... first matchup with someone with 4x DJ and 3x Toruviel on top of a massive pot of golds... tried again with a different deck got 3x Merciless and matched up with not a single person using ambush... le sigh

personally I hope it matches by losses.... you have no losses, you get matched with the same... then by wins... that way the deck doing the best get matched with similar ones, at least towards the end.
Well damn, you're probably one in a milion with that kind of luck. I rarely get offered duplicates, and even when I do, I'd never pick them, in case I get offered Shupe later in the draft.
Unless you really wanted to test out the card or meme out, I'd definitely avoid picking Roche - especially multiple copies. The card is too fair and has no alternative ability at the moment, so it's pretty shit.

TheEpicWhale;n10598972 said:
Also it sounds like you haven't been screwed by all the disconnecting to much.
I haven't had any disconnects that forced the game to end, if that's what you're asking, but I have those "reconnecting" popups multiple times in every game.
​​​​

Arena matchmaking

Hi!

Since I coldn't find an "arena forums", I'll post here. So, can anyone help me undestand how arena matchmaking works?

I'm a pretty casual/mid level player (level 30, rank 11), and only now decided to try arena, since I have the worst possible memories of this mode in hearthstone.

The first opponent was 25 levels and 7 ranks above me.Wow, this sucks, and I was badly beaten.
Second match, the person was 19 levels and 9 ranks more than me. This is really an unfortunat event, but, let's move on...
The final opponent was 35 levels more than me and a stupid high rank (with GM border)! I dind't even tried at this point and quit.

Is this normal? because well, at this moment, I'm not planning to play arena never again, even with 2 free charges remaining.

Thanks!

I believe it's based on the number of wins. You get matched with people with the same number of arena wins, or close to it and not MMR, rank or level.

EDIT: Number of wins for the current run, not total.

Snake_Foxhounder;n10683421 said:
I believe it's based on the number of wins. You get matched with people with the same number of arena wins, or close to it and not MMR, rank or level.

EDIT: Number of wins for the current run, not total.

I see, thanks. So, if the first try was like this, it's a mode that I will stay as far aways as possible then :)

at this point I'm not even sure that you are matched on wins... I think it may be completely random. On one hand I'll say that being a higher level player doesn't give a direct benefit in arena... because all players have the same RNG for deck building... on the other hand, having that experience you'll probably pick better cards because you know how they work together. coupled with the fact that average win/loss is 3/3 I strongly recommend new players to avoid Arena... Kegs are worth more for you, and you'll earn them faster in casual. once you've reached the point of having all commons and most rares from kegs you won't have as much experience disadvantage and it may start to be worthwhile to gamble on arena a bit... or not

I believe Arena should have tiers, like Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Masters.

Although I understand that Arena is not supposed to be competitive, when a top 1k player plays against a level 10 newbie, it is really not fun for either. There are games in Arena I honestly feel I could have a 15 crappy bronze deck and I would still win, because the opponent had no clue how the game worked. (Not because they are stupid, of course, but just new.)

You guys are either lucky or very good cuz I never manage to get 9 wins so far I went up to 8 wins but cant seem to break the 9 win:(

Top Bottom