Returning Player - What Has Changed?

+
Returning Player - What Has Changed?

Hi All,

Not really played Gwent since closed Beta. Had a wee go the other day and noticed some big changes. Cards seem to be playable on any row and golds can take damage. Not sure how I feel about the cards being playable on any row, as I quite liked how it was before but, will need to play more to see how that feels.

Anyhoo, are there any other significant changes I should be aware of? Any info is greatly received.

Cheers

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Too much has changed to simply put into one post. The best way to get up to speed is read the news articles that show the patch notes.

Some major points are:

- Complete GUI overhaul
- The new Arena Mode
- Introduced Create mechanic
- Monthly ranked seasons

4RM3D;n10618522 said:
Too much has changed to simply put into one post. The best way to get up to speed is read the news articles that show the patch notes.

Some major points are:

- Complete GUI overhaul
- The new Arena Mode
- Introduced Create mechanic
- Monthly ranked seasons

Thanks. I'm not hardcore enough to read through all the patch notes for changes, just looking for some general info on any big overhauls. Thanks for the info :)

Has skill gone up or down in terms of being needed to win?
Also, has netdecking become a plague like every other game?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4021160

Your are pulling a lion by the whiskers, dear friend. Your questions triggers one half of community the wrong way. That being said. Ask away. :cheers:

Tons of new cards are probably the biggest outlier. Many of them are filler cards that will never see play in their current state, but still. New archetypes have been introduced such as Alchemy Nilfgaard, Moonlight Monsters or Cursed Northern Realms (Witcher 2 intensifies), Northern Realms received a huge faction overhaul, machines and crewmen is now a thing (not sure how long it has been since you last played)...
Ciri: Nova and Shupe are the most notable, take a look at them.

Silver spies have a counter on them, so they will only draw you a card the first time they are played in a match; If you resurrect or decoy them, you will just give your opponent points without drawing a card, so watch out for that.

Most cards now have multiple tags, (e.g.: "Soldier," "Alchemy")which are there to allow "tutor cards" to play them from the deck. Every faction pretty much has an Elven Mercenary now (though a little less versatile because of the tag limitations).

First Light now boosts all damaged allied units under weather by 2, along with clearing weather, so that's a huge change.

I believe all the other major changes were already mentioned in this post. Universal agility, gold vulnerability, arena, new ui...

Last edited:
A lot has changed since closed beta honestly, it's almost like a new game.

- Weather has been changed drastically
- Deck building and collection have been merged
- Daily Quests systems have been added into the game
- Cards have been changed completely

I tried mentioning things others haven't, good luck! :)

kiramode;n10621322 said:

thats like saying chess isn't skill based because everyone is using the same opening moves.

the problem in my opinion right now is that some of the most powerful decks (brouver elves) just puke points out on the table and ignore their opponents. they generate so many points they can simply ignore weather/the other side of the board and just keep playing creatures into it for a long turn and win anyways.

overall the game is pretty healthy, every faction has a playable top tier deck and has good and bad matchups.

there isnt enough diversity/card balance though so you eventually memorize every top tier matchup and there isnt much skill when everyone plays exactly the same 25 cards in the same order. more lower tier cards need to be buffed to be playable and then maybe a bit more deck diversity and bluffing will become a thing

kiramode;n10621322 said:
liezldiezldee;n10622042 said:
there isnt enough diversity/card balance though so you eventually memorize every top tier matchup and there isnt much skill when everyone plays exactly the same 25 cards in the same order. more lower tier cards need to be buffed to be playable and then maybe a bit more deck diversity and bluffing will become a thing

Please don't plague this discussion wiht complaints. The guy just asked what's new, no need to turn players away from the game.

Also, I open all of my chess games with pawn to f3 :wisegirl:

DannyGuy;n10621952 said:
Tons of new cards are probably the biggest outlier. Many of them are filler cards that will never see play in their current state, but still. New archetypes have been introduced such as Alchemy Nilfgaard, Moonlight Monsters or Cursed Northern Realms (Witcher 2 intensifies), Northern Realms received a huge faction overhaul, machines and crewmen is now a thing (not sure how long it has been since you last played)...
Ciri: Nova and Shupe are the most notable, take a look at them.

Silver spies have a counter on them, so they will only draw you a card the first time they are played in a match; If you resurrect or decoy them, you will just give your opponent points without drawing a card, so watch out for that.

Most cards now have multiple tags, (e.g.: "Soldier," "Alchemy")which are there to allow "tutor cards" to play them from the deck. Every faction pretty much has an Elven Mercenary now (though a little less versatile because of the tag limitations).

First Light now boosts all damaged allied units under weather by 2, along with clearing weather, so that's a huge change.

I believe all the other major changes were already mentioned in this post. Universal agility, gold vulnerability, arena, new ui...

Awesome, thanks for the info, much appreciated :)

OG.laloquaint;n10622002 said:
A lot has changed since closed beta honestly, it's almost like a new game.

- Weather has been changed drastically
- Deck building and collection have been merged
- Daily Quests systems have been added into the game
- Cards have been changed completely

I tried mentioning things others haven't, good luck! :)

Thank you very much :)

DannyGuy;n10622142 said:
Please don't plague this discussion wiht complaints. The guy just asked what's new, no need to turn players away from the game.

Also, I open all of my chess games with pawn to f3 :wisegirl:

Thanks...and your end comment made me lol so much :D

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n10882941 said:
What are the most popular decks now, what are you lot using?
Brouver, Greatswords, Alchemy & Henselt are probably the four most common decks currently. I'm playing Fran Shupe.

The typical decks haven't changed that much in the past weeks. Crach Greatswords, Henselt, Brouver and the in comparison probably slightly weaker Alchemy. Axeman and Consume also seem pretty strong these days.

Currently, I play Spella'tael (only works up to a certain rank... ~80% win rate around MMR 2800, but in casual it gets trashed hard by rank 20/21 players using Alchemy and Brouver). Other than that, my fav deck is still Dagon Shupe. But well, I prefer playing less conventional decks :)

:sleepy:

Well thats not the only thing that hasent changed.

Im still kicking ass with my beloved Frett & Harold[SUP]TM [/SUP]deck.

:smiling2:

Moved from PS4 to PC Milled everything from every faction to get my deck back.

:wazzzup:

In regards to Homecoming, I'll rejoice when i see practical application of the said theoretical.

:radovidsmug:

Top Bottom