Many newb impressions. Plus questions about cards, Gwentdb, Gwentup, & winrates.

+
Many newb impressions. Plus questions about cards, Gwentdb, Gwentup, & winrates.

I'm completely new to Gwent. I hadn't even played any of the Witcher games until I read about Gwent a couple weeks ago. (I finally fired up the Witcher 3 last week.) I'm enjoying it a lot. Here are some impressions.

1. First, the new-game experience is pretty good. I liked playing through all the AI challenges. They introduced me to a couple of archetypes for each faction. That said, the challenges did not include any mulligans, which seems like a big feature of the game to omit. Perhaps a future set of challenges could introduce mulligans? Also, I liked that the game doles out kegs and other rewards regularly to new players. It makes one want to keep playing. I was also happy to pony up for the $4.99 starter pack.

2. I'm glad to hear more PvE content is on the way. Inevitably, I don't have as much time, energy (or cash) to invest in CCGs as other players, which means sooner or later I'll start losing, lol. PvE can be good as a morale-boost. :)

3. The game-board seems too small to me, and too much UI space is wasted to the right and left of it. It's a shame that the beautiful artwork is hard to see on the board. Couldn't the board be enlarged vertically and pushed to one side or the other, allowing the hands to appear on the bottom-left or bottom-right of the screen? And the useless melee/ranged icons could be removed to free up more horizontal space (although I personally would like melee/ranged/siege position to matter in some way). The board layout drives me crazy.

4. Another UI complaint: fonts seem too small. My pet peeve here is the flavor text on zoomed-in cards. Why in the world can't that flavor text be larger? I find it hard to read. (The italicized font doesn't help.) If a user is zooming in a card, the user presumably wants a close look at everything, including the flavor text!

5. The structure of the game is a welcome change from Magic: The Gathering and Hearthstone, both of which I've played on and off over the years, as well as Elder Scrolls Legends. It's nice not to be sending minions into the center of a board to tangle with each other (although of course they do tangle from their rows, sometimes). Visually it looks more like an organized battle. I especially like Gwent's emphasis on deck-thinning and card advantage.

6. I love that Gwent enforces limits on gold and silver cards in constructed play. In Hearthstone, sometimes you play against a deck with a dozen legendaries, and you don't have a prayer. (I haven't tried Gwent's Arena yet, but I'm astounded that Arena doesn't give players the same number of golds/silvers. That's one thing Hearthstone's Arena does right.)

7. Does a 25-card deck make for enough deck variety? Net-decking is as inevitable as the day is long, but larger decks might make for more variety in deckbuilding and in the play of the hand. I'm not experienced enough to know whether this is a problem. Do Gwent games play out differently every time? Do you find yourselves playing the same cards in the same order every game?

8. I know this is a hot potato here, but to me, Gwent feels much less RNG-dominated than Hearthstone. I know there are concerns that Create and other new mechanics have increased Gwent's randomness, but it still seems far less RNG-like to me than Hearthstone. The Create cards I've used and faced in Gwent seem underwhelming compared to their crazy counterparts in Hearthstone.

9. Is there a site like Icy-Veins to tell us exactly how each card works, and why someone might include it in their deck? Gwentdb has great info on popular decks, and some of those decks include explanations of why particular cards are used. But the card database itself doesn't offer explanations of how cards work, or assessments of how good cards are. The only comparative tool I've found are the keg helpers at a couple sites. I ask all this because some of the card text is deeply confusing. What in the world does Ronvid the Incessant do? Why would one play one of the silver spies? (I think I get it now: at the end of a losing round, to gain card advantage.) Exactly how much damage does a particular weather thing do (2? 1?)? How big a boon is a boon? I like to make my own decks, but it's hard to do so without understanding how the cards work.

10. Is there any reason I shouldn't try Gwentup? (I'm on PC.) Given the wasted UI space to the right of the board, it seems like a no-brainer. Is there any Term of Use restriction on its use? Is it unsporting, given that XBox players have no such tool? (Or do they?)

11. Finally, this may sound silly, but I worry that I'm going to wreck my winrate by trying different decks on ranked play. Does winrate reset after each season, or is it a lifetime stat? Will my newbish flailing haunt me, statistically speaking, for the rest of my years?

Many thanks for reading, if you managed to read this far. Despite all the critiques I offer above, I do think Gwent is an awesome game. Thanks.

I am new myself...including to this forum, overall. I am sure many others more experienced and knowledgeable than I will comment here, as well, but allow me to comment on a few things you raised:
  • As someone who cannot play constantly, I agree that PvE is good, but nothing quite matches playing against another person. That said, you will get slaughtered if you do not buy more kegs after awhile. (My win rate was down around 18% for quite a bit of time, I just barely now got up to 25%.) Play through all of the various challenges to earn your Leader cards and what-not, but I think you may be bored after some time playing against the computer. At least try a "casual" match or two (though many veterans here will recommend against that, saying to go directly to competitive mode) to taste human competition a bit.
  • YES, get GwentUp!!! I cannot recommend that highly enough. As you will learn eventually, there are many cards that will require you to know what is in your own deck, your own graveyard, and your opponent's graveyard. GwentUp saves you considerable time with that.
  • To see how cards work, try http://www.gwentdb.com . It is great, BUT can get outdated at times for some cards. Also check out @Void_Singer's wonderful card reference here: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum/en/gwent/tactician-s-corner/10289532-card-reference .
Gwent is a truly additive game for me, and I hope that it continues onward! As you have learned already, however, this is a different Gwent than what you saw in Witcher 3.

I hope this helps a bit on a few things; happy to "meet" you.

Use GwentUp. Everybody does and you'll regret it if you don't have a photographic memory. Welcome to the game...and the end of your current blood pressure levels.

RazTheGnome;n10659131 said:
I'm completely new to Gwent. I hadn't even played any of the Witcher games until I read about Gwent a couple weeks ago. (I finally fired up the Witcher 3 last week.) I'm enjoying it a lot. Here are some impressions.

1. [...] That said, the challenges did not include any mulligans, which seems like a big feature of the game to omit. Perhaps a future set of challenges could introduce mulligans?[...]
IT also doesn't tell you about examining cards while in a match... you can hover over them for basic info, but can also "examine" (right click on PC) any card for extended info, as well as the graveyard, and cards within it. For Mulligans all you need to know is that they blacklist the discard, and whatever you discard first is likely to be redrawn first after the mulligan.

2. I'm glad to hear more PvE content is on the way. Inevitably, I don't have as much time, energy (or cash) to invest in CCGs as other players, which means sooner or later I'll start losing, lol. PvE can be good as a morale-boost. :)
fortunately the longer you play the better your collection will be, rather than falling behind due to digital rot. that's regardless of the money you spend or don't.

4. Another UI complaint: fonts seem too small. My pet peeve here is the flavor text on zoomed-in cards. Why in the world can't that flavor text be larger? I find it hard to read. (The italicized font doesn't help.) If a user is zooming in a card, the user presumably wants a close look at everything, including the flavor text!
this may be down to your resolution and monitor size... you may want to play around with this... I use a monitor that is sized to default print (ie 96ppi / 0.265mm @ 2-3ft / 0.67-1.0m) with less than stellar eyesight

6. I love that Gwent enforces limits on gold and silver cards in constructed play. In Hearthstone, sometimes you play against a deck with a dozen legendaries, and you don't have a prayer. (I haven't tried Gwent's Arena yet, but I'm astounded that Arena doesn't give players the same number of golds/silvers. That's one thing Hearthstone's Arena does right.)
My own pet theory as to why is due to the high synergy effects of may cards... with enforced limits across multiple factions you'd never be able to make those synergies work at all... I recommend staying away from it as a new user... you'll get better gains from casual

7. Does a 25-card deck make for enough deck variety? Net-decking is as inevitable as the day is long, but larger decks might make for more variety in deckbuilding and in the play of the hand. I'm not experienced enough to know whether this is a problem. Do Gwent games play out differently every time? Do you find yourselves playing the same cards in the same order every game?
without tutors :)cards that pull other cards) you wouldn't see half your deck each game due to the non-continuous draw mechanics... even with them most decks never see their 5-10 cards during a match

9. Is there a site like Icy-Veins to tell us exactly how each card works, and why someone might include it in their deck? [...]
there aren't many "use this card because it's powerful" cards within Gwent. most are powerful when used within theme/archetype, which can be a dozen different cards. As for how each card works, it's down to understanding how the underlying keywords work. There are a lot of Keyword description lists, so reading up on those will be your greatest benefit. if you just need to look up card texts to compare, with some notes on particular kinks, you can check out the link below my post

10. Is there any reason I shouldn't try Gwentup? (I'm on PC.) Given the wasted UI space to the right of the board, it seems like a no-brainer. Is there any Term of Use restriction on its use? Is it unsporting, given that XBox players have no such tool? (Or do they?)
Many find it a useful tool, my personal recommendation is don't. The way it operates is identical to a backdoor trojan, and while I don't have any reason to believe it is one, it could be turned into one with little effort, and it does compromise the Local Security Authority Process, which could malware an additional and less protected means to access it.

11. Finally, this may sound silly, but I worry that I'm going to wreck my winrate by trying different decks on ranked play. Does winrate reset after each season, or is it a lifetime stat? Will my newbish flailing haunt me, statistically speaking, for the rest of my years?
ranked rating is cut by 1/2 to 1/3 every season change and doesn't really have a negative impact if you goof off before getting serious.

Last edited:
I'm an Xbox player and I would really appreciate it if we had access to something like GwentUp or something, especially in Arena. There's nothing wrong with using though, it's just a way to see everything much easier. Almost everybody uses it anyways. It's a huge disadvantage in Arena, that's for sure.

Thank you for all those excellent replies! You guys answered virtually all my questions.

Void_Singer;n10659831 said:
fortunately the longer you play the better your collection will be, rather than falling behind due to digital rot. that's regardless of the money you spend or don't.

I almost mentioned this in my original post. What drove me from Hearthstone wasn't so much the RNG as the "standard" card system. I felt that by the time I earn some of the standard cards, they'll be gone -- removed from standard, and thus ineligible for use in ranked play. Yes, they stay around for two years, but it still bugs me to think that I'm opening decks to get temporary cards. Here in Gwent, every card is "standard." Do you think that will ever change? I hope not.

Void_Singer;n10659831 said:
ranked rating is cut by 1/2 to 1/3 every season change and doesn't really have a negative impact if you goof off before getting serious.

That's good to know. So if I'm rank 14 at the end of this season, I'll start at rank 7 or 9 or such next season?

Also, my question about win-rate was a pretty superficial one, lol. I meant the winrate that the game reports in my stats. Right now I have a 55% winrate or so, and I'm proud of my newbish self! But if I keep losing at my current rank, my winrate will dip lower. I'm wondering whether the winrate stats are cumulative from one season to the next, or whether they reset with the new season. Not a big deal, but I still wanna know. :)

Thanks again!

If you are talking about wins/loses then yes, at the beginning of the new season it will be 0/0 again. If you talk about gwentup then I don't know because it only works for x64 bits computers and I'm x32

:sad:

Welcome to Gwent.

:cheers:

twinkiegorilla;n10659731 said:
Use GwentUp. Everybody does and you'll regret it if you don't have a photographic memory. Welcome to the game...and the end of your current blood pressure levels.

I do fine without Gwent up. I do think it would be nice though if the devs either banned using it or made the same thing available for console users.

StrykerxS77x;n10662041 said:
I do fine without Gwent up. I do think it would be nice though if the devs either banned using it or made the same thing available for console users.
I play without looking at card indicators but I do like the win/loss ratio against your opponent showing.
And yes, console players are clearly at disadvantage compared to us.

I have never used a tracker so far. So no, you don't have to use if but it will make life easier for you, I guess.

The statistics from it would be nice though.

RazTheGnome;n10661831 said:
Here in Gwent, every card is "standard." Do you think that will ever change? I hope not.[...]
the answer is.. sort of.

they have a preference for changing how the card works rather than removing the card itself.... it has a similar effect on removing cards from the set, but doesn't have the detrimental effect of reducing your personal card pool... it's a system that only works in digital, but it works better IMO.

That's good to know. So if I'm rank 14 at the end of this season, I'll start at rank 7 or 9 or such next season?
rank isn't linear, so your rank will probably be a bit higher after reduction than just rank/2. it's related to the ELO system used in other games... the higher your opponents rating, the more you gain for a win (and the less for a loss).

Also, my question about win-rate was a pretty superficial one, lol. I meant the winrate that the game reports in my stats. Right now I have a 55% winrate or so, and I'm proud of my newbish self! But if I keep losing at my current rank, my winrate will dip lower. I'm wondering whether the winrate stats are cumulative from one season to the next, or whether they reset with the new season. Not a big deal, but I still wanna know. :)
the system doesn't really care about your actual win rate, it just matches you with people near your current one, so tanking your rating doesn't really hurt you. It should theoretically give you easier opponents as your rating goes down, but shouldn't allow you to raise above your previous best rate by beating them.

ETA:
Season rewards are determined by your highest ranking during the season, so tanking afterward also doesn't hurt you (other than needing a few more wins next season to get back up to w here you were.)

Last edited:
Once you get higher to rank 18 / 19 your win rate will drop. Unless you play the most popular net deck and play it well. At that point it becomes a literal cointoss to who will win. I gave up on winrate and decided to play for fun making my own decks which often lose, but element of surprise is great come later ranks. Youll eventually see the same 3 decks over and over and know exactly what card will be played. Either way game is great fun still, I play daily and it really won't take you long even without spending money to get a good collection. Welcome

Hi :) welcome to Gwent.

As most of your questions have already been answered, I will just comment that I also do not use GwentUP, only hop into the website to check the meta reports. For the same reason Void_Singer posted above :) If you play to enjoy the game, (and since you want more PvE content like me, I wager you are not aiming for top of the ladder :) ) you don't really need it. You can get used of what is where easily.

however there seems to be a current bug where cards from your graveyard just vanish (I don't mean Doomed cards, I've played an alchemist that vanished the most recent time this happened) so I hope it just doesn't hit you very often :)

StrykerxS77x;n10662041 said:

Or you could just play it on PC instead.

ser2440;n10663311 said:
Hi :) welcome to Gwent.

As most of your questions have already been answered, I will just comment that I also do not use GwentUP, only hop into the website to check the meta reports. For the same reason Void_Singer posted above :) If you play to enjoy the game, (and since you want more PvE content like me, I wager you are not aiming for top of the ladder :) ) you don't really need it. You can get used of what is where easily.

however there seems to be a current bug where cards from your graveyard just vanish (I don't mean Doomed cards, I've played an alchemist that vanished the most recent time this happened) so I hope it just doesn't hit you very often :)

I saw that bug.. i searched for sigfrida and she was not in the graveyard. And at Sk i often don t find certain cards

I am also a new player, started about 5 days ago. Been able to work my way up to Rank 12 through just general understanding of card game mechanics like this one. I figured the best way to climb initially was just to try and put as many points onto the board as possible and it looked like a deck build around Consume and triggering Deathrattles was the way to go. I got up to Rank 10 in that fashion and then began to run into more decks that seemed to be geared toward countering that sort of pure point style. So I started to Mill cards in decks I had no interest in and started making some gold neutral cards that looked like they would have a big impact on the game and then made a more control oriented deck based around Monsters and Biting Frost. That pushed me up to Rank 12 where I am currently but now I seem to have reached the sort of, Hearthstone equivalent of Rank 10 or so. Every deck I play seems to have all the cards necessary to be ultra efficient with cards like Ciri ( the one that turns into a 22 ) that seem to be " finishing " type cards. So I've hit that wall. Win maybe 20% of the time. Now its time to learn matchups and start grinding towards making a variety of decks to try and manipulate my way to better winrates with multiple variants of decks.

The game IS really good though. Here is my main first " need to change " thought.

I dont think First Light should be allowed. It is so easy to clear the board of hazards with just that single card. There is only 1 card that can actually create an entire board of hazards and that is a Gold card, which you can only have 1 of. Why is it possible to clear the entire board of hazards ( and boost cards in the process ) with a single bronze? Doesn't seem to be balanced. Especially when, from what I've seen so far, decks built around hazards requires many turns to setup, multiple cards to take max advantage of the hazard and there is a very limited amount of hazards you can create. Lose your hazard and it seems like your entire deck falls apart. My Frost deck for example. Almost the whole deck revolves around having frost on the board, which is only 2 damage per turn ( 6p/t after 3 turns you create a board of hazards ), so I dont really see the necessity for hazards to be able to be cleared. Or atleast cleared so easily. I think there should be 1 clear gold card and 1 boost/clear row silver and thats it. It just seems like, due to the ease of clearing hazards, it forces decks into a more direct damage style play if you want to play some sort of control. Even when I played my Consume deck I saw the obvious OP nature of First Light and included a couple in my deck. It made my points deck so easy to continue unabated when I just had to include a couple of cards to waste an entire deck of an opponents.

Just an early thought

Last edited:
I am not allowed to create a new topic because I haven't posted enough. I would like to congratulate the team for helping the trolls by giving the characters sentenses inspired by pornography.

OpticalPrime;n10671211 said:
I dont think First Light should be allowed. It is so easy to clear the board of hazards with just that single card. There is only 1 card that can actually create an entire board of hazards and that is a Gold card, which you can only have 1 of. Why is it possible to clear the entire board of hazards ( and boost cards in the process ) with a single bronze?t

Weather used to be way more oppressive and powerful during the earlier stages of the game. Keep that in mind. Now, if Gold weather wasn't counterable with a bronze, a lot of players would use it and, as a result, makes weather too oppressive. Having Gold weather tick for up to 6 points per turn is a lot, considering Gold cards average around 18-20 points or 3 turns of Gold weather. Anyhow, nowadays First Light isn't even played much. Most weather is being countered using a Silver mage to cast Clear Skies.

Regardless, it's not just Gold weather that can be countered by a bronze. A lot of (Gold) engine cards (e.g. Sabbath, Triss: Butterflies) can be removed using only one bronze. Part of the tactics is knowing when to play an engine. Also, if you suspect the opponent has a counter to your cards, you could try to bait out such a counter first.

Top Bottom