Timing questions

+
Timing questions

Newbish guy here. (I did hit rank 11 today, yay!) I am really enjoying the game. But I have a bunch of questions about the timing of actions.

1. I've been watching the latest Gwent Open, and the commentators said one thing that confused me. (Actually, they said many things that confused me, but in most cases I could figure things out on my own.) They said something about playing Cerys with two seconds left on the countdown so that she would proc correctly. Did I understand them correctly? If so, why is this?

2. Is there a set of rules about the timing of card effects? I gather there's no Stack (as opposed to the "last on first off" stack in Magic). A google search turned up some reddit posts suggesting that cards on the field proc before cards played; is that right? Even if that's right, "end of round" effects (like weather) presumably proc after both cards on the field and played cards.

3. Speaking of weather, today I was in a game, and I was 3 points ahead when my opponent passed -- but I had one row of cards under fog. I wasn't sure if I could safely pass and suffer just one hit of -2, or whether the game would revert back to him and cost me another -2 (and therefore the round). Do you know?

4. Suppose I play a card that pulls another card from my deck or graveyard -- and then, before picking the target card, I change my mind. Can I take back my play? E.g., I drag Priestess of Freya forward, then realize that it's not a great idea right now. Can I cancel her and play something else? It seems the answer is "no." When I hit escape, the only option is to concede. I can live with such a rule; it just means I have to be really sure before I commit to playing a combo-card.

Thanks in advance!

RazTheGnome;n10693691 said:
3. Speaking of weather, today I was in a game, and I was 3 points ahead when my opponent passed -- but I had one row of cards under fog. I wasn't sure if I could safely pass and suffer just one hit of -2, or whether the game would revert back to him and cost me another -2 (and therefore the round). Do you know?

Weather only gives damage at the start of your turn so you were completely safe in passing while ahead on points.

4. Suppose I play a card that pulls another card from my deck or graveyard -- and then, before picking the target card, I change my mind. Can I take back my play? E.g., I drag Priestess of Freya forward, then realize that it's not a great idea right now. Can I cancel her and play something else? It seems the answer is "no." When I hit escape, the only option is to concede. I can live with such a rule; it just means I have to be really sure before I commit to playing a combo-card.

Thanks in advance!

Once the pull card hits the board and you see your choices you can't take it back.

1. I've been watching the latest Gwent Open, and the commentators said one thing that confused me. (Actually, they said many things that confused me, but in most cases I could figure things out on my own.) They said something about playing Cerys with two seconds left on the countdown so that she would proc correctly. Did I understand them correctly? If so, why is this?

No, Cerys will activate after 4 ressurections.

That`s why you saw the opponent killing his carryover in morkvarg and Olgierd. Because when they ressurect in the second/third round, they`ll count as a resurections and lowering the timer on cerys.

In general when playing cerys you`ll like to have her come back the final, and sometimes the second round. So when playing her you got to carefully keep count on how many ressurections you have left.

[...]
2 resurrections left on her counter... each resurrection reduces the counter, when it hits zero she resurrects... as SoSaHer mentioned you want to hit that limit at certain times so that her resurection has the greatest effect.

2. Is there a set of rules about the timing of card effects? I gather there's no Stack (as opposed to the "last on first off" stack in Magic). A google search turned up some reddit posts suggesting that cards on the field proc before cards played; is that right? Even if that's right, "end of round" effects (like weather) presumably proc after both cards on the field and played cards.
Effects go from left to right, creatures then row effects. first melee, then ranged, then siege rows. creature effects mostly happen before they hit the table, with the exception of creatures that play other cards AND have an effect after (ex: Sile de Tarnsville, Emhyr var Emreis, Dj, and a few others... they all hit the board once their draw/play effect happens, and if they are still there after their second effect fires.

if you pass first all begining/end of turn effects will continue to happen until your opponent passes. if you are the second to pass end of turn effects for you will be skipped

cards that pop a select screen for another card can't be canceled (in fact if you try to cancel those you can get locked and the game will make a default selection for you right now... it's an annoying bug) cards that target things on the board can generally be canceled. anything else (automatic effects) can't be canceled.

I haven't used them since the recent client change, but you should be able to... unless it wasn't played from hand (sorry I missed that group)

Many thanks for all the helpful answers. I found this particularly helpful:

Void_Singer;n10693831 said:
Effects go from left to right, creatures then row effects. first melee, then ranged, then siege rows. creature effects mostly happen before they hit the table, with the exception of creatures that play other cards AND have an effect after

Good to know! I appreciate the help.

Top Bottom