No balancing or new cards for another month?

+
I've been saying this for a very long time but waiting to balance the game after major tournaments, which cater to about 10 people, is a really bad idea. As they said, we just got the core set completed. The issue is, the core set is nowhere near balanced, what with all the create cards, useless golds (that have been useless for how long since the gold immunity patch?) and a lot of other cards that just need an overhaul.

I've always been vocal about issues in Gwent. At the same time, I've always stayed positive that the game will change for the better. And while I'm still hopeful Gwent will turn out to be what it's supposed to be, the devs really look like they have no idea what they're doing. it's as if they lack the any direction and have no idea of what they want Gwent to be.

I still hope Gwent will turn out fine but the team really needs to get their act together and start from the very beginning. Drop the competitive scene for a few months (some big name players are already leaving anyway) and focus on balance, getting back some of that tactical flavor that was removed from the game a long time ago and giving factions their identities back.

Perhaps new management will turn things around. Forgot her name, but the woman in charge now has her work cut out for her. Best of luck to her and the team and here's hoping you get Gwent back on track.

P.S.

We already got a roadmap before and they didn't stick to it. Here's hoping this one's different.

Last edited:
Esmer;n10746091 said:
All 5 factions have strong decks with 50% winrate or above (monsters are a bit weak perhaps), so you can't call this meta unbalanced. You can't call is stale either since in a month it shifted from "screw it, I'll netdeck Brouver too" to a healthy balance of factions across all MMR ranks. I feel like this meta is better than the one before the midwinter patch.

Moreover, I feel like Axemen are on the rise, and there are some interesting decks like alchemy with Ciri:Nova which are doing quite good.

That said, I am also saddened by the fact there's no balance update. But you know, there's a certain CCG that has an update once per 4 months and almost no other changes outside of that (except of nerfing some cards into the ground). Despite it, it's very popular.

So let's give CDPR time and hope they can do a proper balancing instead of some rash changes.

You lost me in the moment you said an alchemy deck with Ciri:nova is "interesting". Alchemy is an EXTREMELY BROKEN archetipe, and lots of people don't find Ciri:nova a healthy card to the game. (No, alchemy is not the only broken one, but the fact that there's other broken decks don't make alchemy anywhere near balanced, two errors don't make a right)

As someone said, the devs already gave a roadmap and abandoned it, so, the players have their right to be upset and frustrated. For me, I'll take a break, and return next month, if the game gets to a better state.

Asking for balance patch in middle of a pro season in one of the most diverse and balanced metas Gwent has ever seen HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Balance patches aren't there just for the sake of change, they have a clear goal: Balance.

If things went stale to you, then you have been playing for too long everyday, play a little less, or take a break until roadmap announcement!

And like I always say, don't be like Emhyr, make sure patience becomes a virtue you're known to have, it helps in life and in many things

Mathspy;n10746601 said:
Asking for balance patch in middle of a pro season in one of the most diverse and balanced metas Gwent has ever seen HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Balance patches aren't there just for the sake of change, they have a clear goal: Balance.

If things went stale to you, then you have been playing for too long everyday, play a little less, or take a break until roadmap announcement!

And like I always say, don't be like Emhyr, make sure patience becomes a virtue you're known to have, it helps in life and in many things

Are you really arguing that there is nothing to balance? Even in a diverse meta there are individual cards that could use some tweaking. I don't play the pro league so I didn't know about it nor do I care about it. If that is the problem then the pro and ranked seasons need to be aligned so that patches can drop at the logical time for both.

StrykerxS77x;n10746611 said:
Are you really arguing that there is nothing to balance? Even in a diverse meta there are individual cards that could use some tweaking. I don't play the pro league so I didn't know about it nor do I care about it. If that is the problem then the pro and ranked seasons need to be aligned so that patches can drop at the logical time for both.

Most cards that needs tweaking that everyone is complaining about requires other things to get fixed first
-Brouver is fine but Yaevinn needs coin flip fix first like all other spies
-Dun Banners also need coin flip fix first
-Viper Witchers are actually not as problematic as many people makes them to be, Alchemy in general, but even if it was tweaking only them while not touching the others would naturally be a mistake, as then you're giving a clear advantage to Henselts, Brouvers and Greatswords

If you wanna argue they should have buffed some of the underplayed cards then that also doesn't make sense, as they announced a faction identity project which is planned to do just that, but we all knew it wasn't going to be this month

Wishlist for next patch:

1. Fix to coin flip. One can hope!
2. If no fix to coin flip, then a nerf of some kind to Brouver coin flip abuse deck, also Dun Banners to a lesser extent.
3. Some change to Wardancers as carryover that can't be interacted with (or add ways to interact with it).
4. Change to Imlerith: Sabbath such that he doesn't outright win the round if not answered, to be balanced with by a boost to consistency.
5. Change to Greatswords so it doesn't invalidate all control cards that don't outright kill it.
6. Other small QoL changes here and there. Ambush cards flipping over at the end of a round for example. Francesca not buffing a card she tutors for if it's disloyal, or buffing herself if she searches for a spell. Small things like that.

Mostly fine aside from that ... maybe some changes to leader abilities, e.g. Brouver's leader ability is really strong so even if he loses the ability to tutor for bronze cards he should still be fine, meanwhile Filavendrel, Whispering Hillock, Unseen Elder, Francesca could all use some buffs.

I agree that we have good balance. I also agree and understand that some ppl can be bored by stale meta. But i think there should not be many balances changes to current meta (maybe some small point changes like changing how Brouver works with spies or other change or wardancers). In contrast if you say you want to nerf greatswords it would just mean game over for this archetype and too be honest it is only T1 engine deck and only because it I am strongly against nefing it - today it is very hard to any engine deck to work. In my opinion, the current pretty balanced meta should be as is but they should change some not used cards (also thinking if they will not synegise too much with existing archetypes as it can unbalance them indirectly). But problem is not with this meta decks but with destroyed archetypes - many cards are not used. If we will activate more archetypes it would mean more diversity to the game.

You're not alone there. Ranked games are predictably boring. 4-5 top decks with scripted play.
Have no idea how people call it a good balance. Half of the cards are just not worthy playing, since they are so weak.
For me a good balance would be 2-3 well-powered archetypes for each faction.

Lisandre;n10746511 said:
You lost me in the moment you said an alchemy deck with Ciri:nova is "interesting". Alchemy is an EXTREMELY BROKEN archetipe, and lots of people don't find Ciri:nova a healthy card to the game.

It looks like someone is losing to alchemy a lot, lol. Ciri: Nova and Shupe's Day Off are both very strong cards that require you to reduce the deck consistency to use them. Just look at how often they both are played (a hint: not much).

If there's an unhealthy card for the game, it's the new Triss. It's a neutral card that is in almost every top tier deck now. You think Ciri: Nova for 22 points is unhealthy? How about 20+ points Triss which is also more versatile and doesn't require you to cripple your deck to use?

One of the reasons monsters are a bit weaker than the other factions because they can't put Triss to a good use.

Esmer;n10748081 said:
It looks like someone is losing to alchemy a lot, lol. Ciri: Nova and Shupe's Day Off are both very strong cards that require you to reduce the deck consistency to use them. Just look at how often they both are played (a hint: not much).

If there's an unhealthy card for the game, it's the new Triss. It's a neutral card that is in almost every top tier deck now. You think Ciri: Nova for 22 points is unhealthy? How about 20+ points Triss which is also more versatile and doesn't require you to cripple your deck to use?

One of the reasons monsters are a bit weaker than the other factions because they can't put Triss to a good use.

I don't like Ciri: Nova, I find it's conditions ridiculously easy for it's amount of power, and yes, I've played with it for a bit, but don't find it the biggest offender (I said "lots of people", not that I think it's unhealty). Alchemy, however, is broken thanks to viper witchers and their ointments.

Triss is ineed a very problematic card, and along some others , it's reason we are in dire need of a balance patch, which, surprise, won't come anywhere sson because CDPR values more 8-10 said pro players than thousands of regular ones.

Disagree as much as you want, it's your right, but this don't change the fact that a huge amount of players is unhappy with the same meta for the third month in a row with the same problematic cards

I seen some netdeckers using ciri nova in elfswarm, in last round they play nova before schiru hoping that i hit her with swordmaster, but i dont fall for that, burn nova burn !!
:halt:

Mathspy;n10746931 said:
Most cards that needs tweaking that everyone is complaining about requires other things to get fixed first
-Brouver is fine but Yaevinn needs coin flip fix first like all other spies
-Dun Banners also need coin flip fix first
-Viper Witchers are actually not as problematic as many people makes them to be, Alchemy in general, but even if it was tweaking only them while not touching the others would naturally be a mistake, as then you're giving a clear advantage to Henselts, Brouvers and Greatswords

If you wanna argue they should have buffed some of the underplayed cards then that also doesn't make sense, as they announced a faction identity project which is planned to do just that, but we all knew it wasn't going to be this month

There are obvious changes to make and they already said they wanted to do more patches and these would be at the end of the season. So it's just weird that they didn't do anything.

Lisandre;n10748141 said:
Alchemy, however, is broken thanks to viper witchers and their ointments.

Yep, that's why Henselt, Brouver and Swordsmen have a higher winrate.

Seriously, you have to put a lot of subpar alchemy cards for witchers to be good. And even then, witchers not always hit for their full value.

I played a lot with various alchemy decks (inluding versions with Emhyr, Nova, thunderbolt, mardroeme). Almost every version of the deck is fun to play. but alchemy usually loses to coin flip abuse and has a very hard time against axemen.

Last edited:
CDPR is treating the development of this game like any other game they have done. large extensive high quality production RPGs that they expect everyone to wait for and the community is really waiting (look at cyberpunk a trailer at 2013 and here 5 years later they refuse to give away info). you can't apply the same style of logic to a card game with a heavy multiplayer focus, you ought to speak you ought to give proper answers and you ought to act fast when there is something wrong or else the player base will evaporate. this mistake has been the number 1 problem of gwent, insufficient amount of action and information when it was needed, and that's why they have finally realized this is not the way to go with a game of this format and they are willing to share their "roadmap" something they firmly keep to themselves regarding their other in-development games.

Esmer;n10748761 said:
Yep, that's why Henselt, Brouver and Swordsmen have a higher winrate.

Seriously, you have to put a lot of subpar alchemy cards for witchers to be good. And even then, witchers not always hit for their full value.

I played a lot with various alchemy decks (inluding versions with Emhyr, Nova, thunderbolt, mardroeme). Almost every version of the deck is fun to play. but alchemy usually loses to coin flip abuse and has a very hard time against axemen.

something that turned me off from alchemy for now was alchemy mirrors. alchemy mirrors are super awful worst than any other archetype mirror i have experienced.

A lot of over reaction in this thread..dang.

I as all.of you know..sure there are some fixes that can be done to Gwent.
But come on..
It is in a very good state right now.
The best it's been since open beta started
Although there are some dead cards and archtypes not completely fleshed out ...but there are a lot of viable decks across all factions that are actually pretty decent

This is a first for the game I think.
I also Think the devs need to take their time now in releasing patchs and updates to the game
The last thing we want is the game to go backwards at this point.

I would also say I think maybe a lot of us have just gotten used to huge changes in the game from season to season.. I hate to break it to you but it's not going to be like that in the future
The game doesn't need a constant changing meta from season to season especially now that they are only 30 days apart
​​​​​

TheShift;n10750201 said:
The game doesn't need a constant changing meta from season to season especially now that they are only 30 days apart
​​​​​

I would probably agree with that if there were enough cards in the game but I don't think there is. The amount of good decks just isn't that high. The meta is better than a lot of the past ones but it's still not great.

StrykerxS77x;n10750471 said:
I would probably agree with that if there were enough cards in the game but I don't think there is. The amount of good decks just isn't that high. The meta is better than a lot of the past ones but it's still not great.

I agree.. like I said it could be better and there's room for improvement (new faction (s) cards and balance disconnect issues) and it will come.. I think they have proven that they are willing to do what it takes
and that takes T I M E

Top Bottom