2 rows instead of 3. Homecoming. [POLL]

+

2 rows instead of 3. Homecoming. [POLL]

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
G4merY;n10856511 said:
What's your player level in Gwent, and how many card games are you playing currently?

Close to 40. Ive been playing since closed beta. I cant remeber wich level i was in closed.
Ever since the gold patch ive been playing less and less with each update. Stopped completely in MW.
When they remove Create in May i will return though to farm some kegs for 2.0.

Besides GWENT, Im trying out Eternal now. Its done by a MtG pro. Pretty good so far.

I started on Card games long ago with MtG in Homelands.... Yeah long long ago. Stopped on X edition. I just play now with some friends with pre made decks.

Played Pokemon/Harry Potter/LoTR/Yu-Gi-Oh and Battle Con.

Digital? Yu-Gi-Oh, MtG, HS, Infinity Wars, GWENT and Eternal.

Ive probably try some more obscure ones out but i cant remember.

Right now i just one something good that dont require tons of money.

Laveley;n10856631 said:
You are right, adapting gameplay to UI and not the other way around is just plain stupid to say the least. Good UI its exactly the one that is able to adapt to gameplay and still be, well... good!

And its not that they dont have plenty of options to fit gwent on mobiles. Gwent board has plenty space for improvement, the rows separations are thick, the hand cards can be smaller, the preview and history of the cards could be windowed as the graveyard and mulligan screens thus freeing a lot of space on the sides and even if they dont want to do that, they could just slice the board on two for mobiles as in a "zoomed in" version of the game.

The whole idea of gwent on mobiles seems awkard to me anyways.

It can be done in mobile, just need to cut some space out. Not features =P

Thunderscape;n10856801 said:
It can be done in mobile, just need to cut some space out. Not features =P

I know it can. What i'm saying is that is awkward.

Gwent is more like chess and less like candy crush saga. not that there isnt people who play chess on mobile, i do.

I dont think gwent would "work" on mobile and cdpr should have already realized that. At least not on the current format. If i would do it for mobile, i would do an exclusive "gwent mobile" version completely different from pc/consoles one.

Karolis.petrikas;n10854451 said:
If damage triggers every turn it means the player to place card second will win points by default. Which means you need to avoid placing a card first on melee row. It makes the melee row obsolete for most cards with exception of those that benefits from being damaged.

Udalryk said:
.. units on Melee row damage one adjacent enemy every turn ..

Units damage units. Rows don't damage units.

I mentioned you preferring 4 rows instead of 5 first to make a point, second, you would probably prefer 4 rows if CDPR actually made Gwent like that, and third, because it somewhat seemed like your "strict no" to 5 rows was a harsher "no" than to 4 rows (in some ways it probably was).

I understand that you might not like the idea, but that's mostly because of not understanding it fully (e.g. you assumed that rows damage units).
My overall point is that my idea would always be better than Gwent with 4 rows (with better I mean as well more true to Gwent).
All the shared Melee row means is more interactions between units = more complex and deep game. Units have to damage each other by 1 (some may damage by 2) in order to help keep Melee row not overcrowded. But not only because of that, it only makes sense that opposing units near each other fight each other every turn, like in real battle. And it makes units placement in Melee row more important (you want to try avoiding being between 2 enemy units, e.g.).

Last edited:

Guest 4021160

Ok. I will break it down for you. You place a card on melee row. Then your opponent does so and wins a point by default.
Then you lets say place a card left of your opponents card. Then your opponent places a card left to that. Now your opponent has 3 points versus 1 of yours. Clear enough now? Lets continue the chain and you will see you continue losing points every turn if you placed a card on melee row first.

please please stop this because I will sure get another ban if I continue talking to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Udalryk;n10858601 said:
I understand that you might not like the idea, but that's mostly because of not understanding it fully (e.g. you assumed that rows damage units).

What makes you think that your idea is so f'ing genious that people just dont praise you like a god for it because they dont "understanding it fully"?

Seriously, your proposal is for me as equal as is cdpr proposal of 2 rows; it would result on a totally different game from what we have now and, frankly, this isnt the time to risk that kind of shite.

This is CDPR last chance. Original gwent is already a rock solid foundation. People liked it on the witcher 3. People mass emailed cdpr over a standalone version of it. People that played CB, that was roughly similar (at least more than what we have now) to original gwent generally enjoyed it at least to some degree even with the game full of bugs and imbalances.

If cdpr devs have half a brain by now, they should be as conservative as possible and stick with the things that went right and people enjoyed over the last 2 years. At least for that all this CB and OB experience that is on the trash now will serve.

Anything radically different from it, like 2, 5, 99 or 3 thousand rows is basically equal to taking a whole different game like, say, dice poker, renaming it as "gwent" and hope that its good and people like it.

They better not actually remove a row now... what happened to "homecoming"? I thought they wanted to go back to the roots not completely change the game. Everyone loved Gwent in Witcher with the three rows so why remove one? The amount of rows was never a problem. We all know by now what was and it wasn't that.

No. It would be another huge mistake. As this poll states unarguably.

They have already changed too many of the core mechanics that made Gwent, Gwent.

Such as agility; how many cards did that patch kill again? 'You need not worry about stacking one row and being an igni or weather magnet when you build a deck anymore, among many other interesting interactions. You can simply pick the strongest cards overall.'

And gold immunity; How many unique and fun cards did that patch leave dead in the water? All because people didn't want to play D-Shackles. Now you simply play the strongest gold card effect you can because otherwise it will just be deleted off the board.

Hell, even faction passives gave the game another layer of complexity that it is sorely missing now. Sure, they weren't balanced in their current state, but they made every faction unique and were in gwent from the start.

So I repeat. No. Less is always more, even in a confusing circumstance like this. You just have to think about it critically, the less core mechanics you remove, the better, because those are what makes Gwent, Gwent.

Last edited:

Guest 4021160

Is it just me or after the homecoming announcement i have started to see more variety in gwent? More interesting decks?

Guest 4021160

Shadow-Stalker;n10876091 said:
So I repeat. No. Less is always more, even in a confusing circumstance like this. You just have to think about it critically, the less core mechanics you remove, the better, because those are what makes Gwent, Gwent.

I've been following you for some time on multiple threads. It seems to me, that you really care for gwent and I agree with a lot of what you're saying. And that's that. There's no "but".

To test things 2vs 3 rows, they should make the 3-ro-Gwent playable and compare player statistics of both games. Like a Game-Mode a la Arena

I care more about making a better game, than being as close as possible to older Gwent versions. But Gwent having 6 rows is not only something that defines this game, but it's something this game depends on. It's a game design that works independently, opening possibilities that would be impossible otherwise.

But Gwent has never fully embraced its rows, mostly because to not get "too complex". Because it was originally a side-game in Witcher, and now a game to satisfy Witcher fans, casual card gamers. This is were CDPR treads wrong, you shouldn't continue making Gwent just for your casual Witcher fans, but actually try to make an objectively great game. You wrongly think that adding more variables, like "Range indicators" or "Shared Melee row" (obviously a better solution than 4 rows) would increase game's complexity a lot, when in fact it will almost stay the same, providing you for more flexible ways to balance cards. 2 vs 2 rows Gwent is no longer Gwent, and is no longer a game with same many possibilities as a 6 rows or 5 rows Gwent would give. (I think people wrongly assume that 5 rows Gwent is just half as bad as 4 rows Gwent. When in fact you can still play your units on 3 rows as before, the game actually becomes better with a shared row. The complexity and depth gained from this would mean game would be less meta dependent, and more board focused, as any game should try to be. The fact that card sizes become bigger is just a fortunate by-product, which fits with CDPR's plans.)

Of course Gwent staying with 6 rows as now is a good option. But for me, after seeing the advantages a 5 rows Gwent gives, I would probably always prefer it (unless CDPR actually delieveres a great 6 rows Gwent, which is of course something very uncertain, just seeing where they took Gwent so far, and their serious consideration of 4 rows Gwent).

Last edited:
Udalryk;n10883341 said:
(I think people wrongly assume that 5 rows Gwent is just half as bad as 4 rows Gwent. When in fact you can still play your units on 3 rows as before, the game actually becomes better with a shared row. The complexity and depth gained from this would mean game would be less meta dependent, and more board focused, as any game should try to be. The fact that card sizes become bigger is just a fortunate by-product, which fits with CDPR's plans.)
Of course Gwent staying with 6 rows as now is a good option. But for me, after seeing the advantages a 5 rows Gwent gives, I would probably always prefer it (unless CDPR actually delieveres a great 6 rows Gwent, which is of course something very uncertain, just seeing where they took Gwent so far, and their serious consideration of 4 rows Gwent).

i dont get it. How can you say, 6 rows define the game (because it had is all way long) and at the same time propose a 5 row gwent, which is at least the same breaking with a feature this game has. I dont even see the advantages the 5 row version would have in contrast to 4 row. I have the feeling you had an idea and cant let it go. Just one row for both is not a good idea without decent cards for this, i i dont even see one which would be good. Removal cards: first one will lose

CDRed didnt get all out of the 3 rows, they just made a first step with the positioning update, but never try to accomplish anything of worth. Now they surrender and will cut down the complexity again. They dont even have enough trust in their product to say, what they want to have with 2 row, only some vague goals which could be anything. At last i dont even know why they startet a beta. The Gwent they started at CB have nearly nothing to do with the game at future release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom