New Mulligan algorithm - how does it work?

+
New Mulligan algorithm - how does it work?

Hey everyone,

todays patch is adressing a problem that was called the mulligan-bug where cards you chose to dismiss from hand had a higher chance of being redrawn. In the patch notes it sais that the Mulligan algorithm has been improved. Can some1 shed some light on how it was improved/how it is supposed to work now?

Have fun !

Got a chance to play a couple quick games before leaving for work ..

The faction boards are such a breath of fresh air..and very cool looking ..

From the 2 games I can't say what the changes are.
But from just the text it seems they kept the system in place as it was,but your chances (algorithm) of re pulling that card are not as likley. (?)

TheShift;n10833791 said:
Got a chance to play a couple quick games before leaving for work ..

The faction boards are such a breath of fresh air..and very cool looking ..

From the 2 games I can't say what the changes are.
But from just the text it seems they kept the system in place as it was,but your chances (algorithm) of re pulling that card are not as likley. (?)

I hope they fixed it so well we can't find out

Yeah, the system seems similar but pulling cards you recently mulliganed away is definitely less likely now. It's definitely an improvement.

I certainly haven't noticed a difference with with swap cards... round mulligans haven't seemed different yet, but a good way to check is to use bran (the order you're shown is the deck order, but it shuffles after)

Void_Singer;n10835151 said:
I certainly haven't noticed a difference with with swap cards... round mulligans haven't seemed different yet, but a good way to check is to use bran (the order you're shown is the deck order, but it shuffles after)

I might be missing something.. How would knowing what your deck looks like help with figuring out the new system?

Void_Singer;n10835151 said:
I certainly haven't noticed a difference with with swap cards

My understanding is that Swap is not the same mechanic as the Mulligan mechanic, as it seems Swap doesn't blacklist the card you're putting back into your deck, it simply swaps it out.

Hey, mulligan is still broken on Arena Mode (much more worst than before). Almost always ur cards back, please fix it!
Mulligan on Ranked games is fine now.

Hmm, just remember if you have multiple copies, you may be confused about which card ended up where. The announcement clearly talks about the card you mulliganed, not any copies of it however. So if you mulligan a golem but you have 2 more, you might end up drawing one of those in Round 2 still, because you blacklisted all of them.

I don't know what was improved. Recently I mulliganed two cards on R1. The next two cards I took from my deck were mulliganed ones (friendly match).

Zen-Pie;n10833751 said:
Hey everyone,

todays patch is adressing a problem that was called the mulligan-bug where cards you chose to dismiss from hand had a higher chance of being redrawn. In the patch notes it sais that the Mulligan algorithm has been improved. Can some1 shed some light on how it was improved/how it is supposed to work now?

Have fun !

it doesnt

mulligan bug is worse now than ever and so extremely frustrating to draw the same damn card 4 times in a row

its hilarious that they would implement swap deck arena at the same time they claim a mulligan fix. you are forced to mulligan bad cards just to make it glaringly obvious that mulligan just flat out doesnt work and you redraw the same cards over and over.

seriously mulligan card a.b.c
round 2 draw card a.b.
mulligan a.
draw c
mulligan b.
draw a
round 3 draw b

"fixed"

Neon666;n10838811 said:
Hey, mulligan is still broken on Arena Mode (much more worst than before). Almost always ur cards back, please fix it!
Mulligan on Ranked games is fine now.

it really isnt "fine in ranked"... still broken /worse than before

ser2440;n10838831 said:
Hmm, just remember if you have multiple copies, you may be confused about which card ended up where. The announcement clearly talks about the card you mulliganed, not any copies of it however. So if you mulligan a golem but you have 2 more, you might end up drawing one of those in Round 2 still, because you blacklisted all of them.

split your copies between 1 premium/2 normal to test. you get back the same card.

i cant tell you how many times i have hit roach round 1/2/3 or foglet round 1/2/3 even at 1x in deck

Last edited by a moderator:

rrc

Forum veteran
I just played a game in which I mulligan Aelline as the third card in the first round redraw. In the second round, I mulliganed a card and got Aelline as a replacement. My understanding was that, the third card you mulligan will have the least chance of getting redrawn. But that redraw screwed my game. I think only the dev/moderators can tell us how it works now.

rrc;n10844091 said:
I just played a game in which I mulligan Aelline as the third card in the first round redraw. In the second round, I mulliganed a card and got Aelline as a replacement. My understanding was that, the third card you mulligan will have the least chance of getting redrawn. But that redraw screwed my game. I think only the dev/moderators can tell us how it works now.
that's not how mulligan blacklisting works.... blacklisting only applies to the round in which the mulligan occurs. previously a mulligan had a high chance of being on top of the deck, making it the next card drawn (either during play or at the beginning of the next round), but if you manage to black list the cards above it in the next mulligan, it should naturally show up.

the new algorithm (theoretically) makes it less likely that mulliganed cards will be on top of the deck, but I doubt it guarantees they'll be on the bottom.

Fairly sure they made it worse than before, i notice this when i got to do an arena run with Calveit. So as the game started i mulliganed 3 cards, then i play Calveit on first move and the top 3 cards of my deck were the EXACT 3 cards cards i mulliganed, in the order that i mulliganed.

Top Bottom