Can we reconsider Faction Challenges?

+
Can we reconsider Faction Challenges?

Premium weekends are fun.

Forced metas that encourage the two decks that represent everything wrong with the game are not. I really want this Faction Challenge to be dramatically shortened or outright canceled at this point.

I just want to be able to have some enjoyment in the game. I'm so restricted in what I'm able to play now that I have to keep up with Brouver while playing a deck that doesn't rely on engine because Alchemy dumps all over it. This is the worst Faction Challenge ever.

Yah, i cant imagine anyone thinking: "nice, 90% of the matches today made up of the 2 most annoying factions to play against. This will be so awesome".
I liked the singleplayer puzzles a whole lot better tbh

The problem with this one exactly is that it resolves around two of the most played Leaders out there and in one case it is a deck and in the other it's few decks that rely on the same abuse mechanics to be on top. This makes for one really unhealthy Challenge.

Also, perhaps it will be better to "close" those wars in a different, Arena like mode, so the whole meta (Regular and Pro Ladder) wouldn't have to suffer because of it.

And maybe they are working in this direction, but right now, making a Challenge with these two particular Factions, you will not pull more people to play the game - I suspect it will be quiet the opposite and the game will take a hit at a moment when it least needs it. It would've been better to extend the Mimic Arena thingy, which took a hit because of the Premium Weekend. Like - some really poor timing here.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Agreed, putting these 2 factions into a challenge is quite annoying to everyone, makes the meta even staler than it already was.

Im still gonna play through it, so i can earn the NG rewards which i didnt get last time, and so have all faction trinkets i want, but im gonna do that without brainless Alchemy, which might take a while longer.

DRK3;n10877211 said:
... but im gonna do that without brainless Alchemy, which might take a while longer.

I was sitting this morning, starting into the deck builder, watching the NG Cards... and I was defeated. Tried some different stuff and while it was OK against ST, when I faced Alchemy I was just DESTROYED by Alchemy, which played my deck way better than me. It was so irritating. I'm starting to fume right just by thinking of it.

Not only that but faction challenge is longer than normal. This kills the game even more for many of us. I tried to play today but I just can't do it with the faction challenge happening..

Bruagh, done for today and perhaps for the week even.
Sure i want that NG border, but daaaaaaaaaaamn i am getting tired of all the mulligan/brouver/alchemy decks.
Mostly the mulligan though. not that it is op-ed, but it is easily 70% of the matches.

I haven't faced a lot of Alchemy, though I agree slave drivers are annoying as hell. Mostly it's brouver and facing that is hit or miss with any NG deck.

I don't mind Spies and Reveal but I hate Handbuff, and Alchemy is very annoying to play against depending on the deck you use (Reveal? Hah I can spawn alchemists out of thin air and reveal all your daerlan and fire scorpions. Oh and no mangonel is going to stay on the board..Spies? No enforcers for you but I can revive them with the vicovaro medic and spawn spies with my slave drivers to play your deck better than you.) Also mill is just plain boring and infuriating.

then on the other hand you've got Eithne Control which shuts down all Engines, and all Brouver variants relying on winning the coinflip to abuse the ability to play second. Like sorry but this is stupid

all I keep seeing is a huge upswing in Ethine Spellatael (ranked and casual) and Francesca Swap (casual)...

Myself I'm playing a Brouver deck, but without Yaevin, or Cleaver, or Barclay.... You're welcome

My biggest issue is honestly with Alchemy. It's an all around awful experience playing with or against Alchemy especially as a Nilfgaard player who came up with the crazy idea that engines should be on the board.

Slave Drivers in an Alchemy mirror has got to be one the dumbest things that's ever been in GWENT.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I did a thread awhile ago where i analyzed the archetype possibilities for NG - there is Spy and Reveal, which are unpopular, the 1st because it relies on engines, the 2nd because it doesnt have much for R3.

Then there's Alchemy, which isnt really an archetype "sponsored" by CDPR but still found its way to the top, Mill which enfuriates a lot of players.

Finally, there is the 'copycat', where you copy or steal your opponents style but its terrible vs some decks, and soldier, which is interesting but again relies too much on egines.

I guess one could go for swarm - slave infantry spam, then sentries, those dont rely on engines nor do they have big targets for Viper Witchers / Thunders, but dont know if the points are enough.

Personally, i like Spellgard, with tons of spells and "Yennefer spells" and Triss Telekinesis, with some soldier units for bronzes.

DRK3;n10882931 said:
I did a thread awhile ago where i analyzed the archetype possibilities for NG - there is Spy and Reveal, which are unpopular, the 1st because it relies on engines, the 2nd because it doesnt have much for R3.

Then there's Alchemy, which isnt really an archetype "sponsored" by CDPR but still found its way to the top, Mill which enfuriates a lot of players.

Finally, there is the 'copycat', where you copy or steal your opponents style but its terrible vs some decks, and soldier, which is interesting but again relies too much on egines.

I guess one could go for swarm - slave infantry spam, then sentries, those dont rely on engines nor do they have big targets for Viper Witchers / Thunders, but dont know if the points are enough.

Personally, i like Spellgard, with tons of spells and "Yennefer spells" and Triss Telekinesis, with some soldier units for bronzes.

For Swarm NG, it's enough points if you can take advantage of low point units in order to Scorch the living hell out of your opponent multiple times with the help of Yennefer: Enchantress and/or the big scorch dragon. It's not too reliant on multiple scorches either but it's very powerful.

I'm trying the Engine version of Soldiers and it's pretty cool when engines are actually alive.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Juuto;n10883201 said:
For Swarm NG, it's enough points if you can take advantage of low point units in order to Scorch the living hell out of your opponent multiple times with the help of Yennefer: Enchantress and/or the big scorch dragon. It's not too reliant on multiple scorches either but it's very powerful.

I'm trying the Engine version of Soldiers and it's pretty cool when engines are actually alive.

Yesterday i played NG vs SC opponents using mulligan shenanigans multiple times, and my scorchs were terrible, decent players rarely line up high pt units, and was never able to scorch multiple targets, not even with scorch + enchantress scorch.

I gave up on NG Soldier engines, they just get immediately thundered, so im just using slave infantry and sentries.

DRK3;n10885981 said:
Yesterday i played NG vs SC opponents using mulligan shenanigans multiple times, and my scorchs were terrible, decent players rarely line up high pt units, and was never able to scorch multiple targets, not even with scorch + enchantress scorch.

I gave up on NG Soldier engines, they just get immediately thundered, so im just using slave infantry and sentries.

As long as I'm careful at using my Sentries too early, I find that I often get very good scorches on multiple 8's and even 6's even deep into a round because all I did was play Novices into Slave Infantry res from Ointment. I've seen people run Assire which I personally hated because her 11 point body while running Scorch makes it very difficult for little gain imo.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Juuto;n10886021 said:
As long as I'm careful at using my Sentries too early, I find that I often get very good scorches on multiple 8's and even 6's even deep into a round because all I did was play Novices into Slave Infantry res from Ointment. I've seen people run Assire which I personally hated because her 11 point body while running Scorch makes it very difficult for little gain imo.

Oh i can never hit those 8s and 6s because of that bronze elf that boosts by the unit you mulligan, and my opponents always used those to different points, so i couldnt hit all of them.

But yes, im not using Assire neither, and now im using 3x Slave Infantry, 3x Sentries, 3x Novices and 3x Ointments, their potential is insane and very hard to fight against, since the points are so well distributed on so many units, and no one is using DBomb or G Yrden anyway (which would only affect one row anyway)

Top Bottom