Ladder Rewards and Value for Money

+
As I said 16 kegs (fully milled and assuming you didn't get the card(s) you wanted) = 1 800 scrap craft. Since you (and other people) want to pay for them I doubt 16 kegs will cost you much (maybe like 16-18$ ?) while instead F2P gets around 3-4 kegs / day (supposing you play a sufficient amount of time each day). Thus you get 800 scrap in 4 days as F2P which in my opinion is a good amount of time, not too much nor too little. On top of that supposing all the kegs you buy have cards you don't want adn you mill them all it will cost you at least 60$ to get all gold cards but still...ALL GOLD CARDS! Gimme a minute while I calculate.....Ok so according to my calculations (and supposing that I didn't do any mistakes) to gather enough scrap through milling (without getting gold cards from kegs) would cost you (supposing you bought the 60 keg pack which is the cheapest at around 60$) *DRUMROLL*: approximatelly (if not less than) 540$. Which again is supposing you have the WORST of luck, such low luck you could be accidentally shot while walking in the street because a cop tried to get a bird away from his donut by shooting it and you were behind it. SOOOOOOOOOO yea I think it is ok if you make small investments from time to time and you will definatelly at sume point get a gold by opening kegs (even if its a double you can mill it for more scrap). At the same time increases the value of kegs without unbalancing the F2P-P2P scale.

4RM3D;n7366790 said:
Grinding in Gwent is actually more forgiving that in other CCG's I have played. Completing 2 daily tiers, gives you 3 kegs a day. Other CCG only gives you 1-2 for the same time spent.

I realize this was posted a year ago but currently that is simply not the case.

Dailies currently reward 100 ores for 6 wins (tier 1) 75 ores for 12 wins (tier 2) and 45 ores for 24 wins (tier 3 and onwards). By doing just the 1st two tiers you only get 175 ores and some from gg rewards (roughly 200 ores a day) or 2 kegs a day. I personally have only the time to do a tier 1 reward per day which takes about an hour.

I'm finding that the distribution of legendaries is very skewed.
My brother and I both started this game at about the same time. We have both opened relatively the same number of kegs. Currently he has 7 legendaries (from packs, free to play), while I have 0 (also free to play). The rate for him is either an epic or legendary a day, while I see a lot of commons and rares. I am currently lvl 14.

I'm not sure if it's possible but it would be REALLY nice if the game can keep track of the number of kegs opened in a row w/out legendaries and have it so the chance of getting a legendary increases the more kegs are opened in a row without a legendary showing up. It's just kinda depressing to have played the game for about a month without seeing a single legendary.

Last edited:
rainwatr;n8145500 said:

The case you've described is pretty unlucky indeed (for you, not your brother). I agree the game should have a pity timer. After a certain amount of kegs, you should be guaranteed a legendary. If it's any consolation, your whole collection will be wiped after closed beta. So you and your brother will have to roll the dice again. Maybe you'll come out luckier next time.

rainwatr;n8145500 said:
Dailies currently reward 100 ores for 6 wins (tier 1) 75 ores for 12 wins (tier 2) and 45 ores for 24 wins (tier 3 and onwards). By doing just the 1st two tiers you only get 175 ores and some from gg rewards (roughly 200 ores a day) or 2 kegs a day.
You didn't consider the 15 Ore you get every so often for every two games played, plus whatever additional scrap along the way. I agree it's not always 3 Kegs (although sometimes I've found it to be the case), but it's generally 2.5 at the least, which allows for more the following day. Sorry for the semantics :3

4RM3D;n8145610 said:
The case you've described is pretty unlucky indeed (for you, not your brother). I agree the game should have a pity timer. After a certain amount of kegs, you should be guaranteed a legendary. If it's any consolation, your whole collection will be wiped after closed beta. So you and your brother will have to roll the dice again. Maybe you'll come out luckier next time.

Is it possible to pitch this idea to the devs?

rainwatr;n8145500 said:
I realize this was posted a year ago but currently that is simply not the case.

Dailies currently reward 100 ores for 6 wins (tier 1) 75 ores for 12 wins (tier 2) and 45 ores for 24 wins (tier 3 and onwards). By doing just the 1st two tiers you only get 175 ores and some from gg rewards (roughly 200 ores a day) or 2 kegs a day. I personally have only the time to do a tier 1 reward per day which takes about an hour.

My brother and I both started this game at about the same time. We have both opened relatively the same number of kegs. Currently he has 7 legendaries (from packs, free to play), while I have 0 (also free to play). The rate for him is either an epic or legendary a day, while I see a lot of commons and rares. I am currently lvl 14.

I'm not sure if it's possible but it would be REALLY nice if the game can keep track of the number of kegs opened in a row w/out legendaries and have it so the chance of getting a legendary increases the more kegs are opened in a row without a legendary showing up. It's just kinda depressing to have played the game for about a month without seeing a single legendary.

The calculations aren't correct - and in comparison with other games out there, my experience is that you get about the same of epics/legs.

Tier win is 3 wins or 6 losses (assuming you can still win one round), grants you one key and you get 3x either 15 scraps or ore plus the GG rewards. So all in all you get 100 ore + 45-70 scraps/ore
In addition you get rewards for player levels and ranked levels.

I play the first tier each day and it works out well enough - after a while scraps actually becomes more relevant anyhow, as they allow you to craft missing cards, while you get mostly duplicates in kegs.

On the draw luck, this is truly a case of bad luck. If it's any consolation, it should even out eventually. From a math perspective you have the same chance for epics/legs in each keg (if CDPR isn't interfering with that already), but ending up with a very long string of no-legs is rather unlikely (even though possible).

I actually like your suggestion, the chance of ending up without epics/legs was always one of the key reasons for me to remain F2P...

After reading through this thread (and posting as a devout F2P player) I'm fairly blasé about people paying to play or win. I wonder how many of the top players in Gwent are F2P - my feeling is it'll be as close to zero per cent as makes no difference so there already seems to be an element of P2W in this game already. I think the idea of a pity timer sounds pretty good (it would also work for F2P players who hoard their kegs) and I don't have a problem with some kind of tiering system in keg purchasing where you pay more for an increased chance of getting epics/legendaries. If people want to spend their money on this then let them.

Not so sure about the buying scraps directly idea, though.

265feral;n8153330 said:
I wonder how many of the top players in Gwent are F2P - my feeling is it'll be as close to zero per cent

But remember: you only need one good deck to reach the top which is easy to achieve as a F2P player, as long as you have the skill and the knowledge.

4RM3D;n8153450 said:
But remember: you only need one good deck to reach the top which is easy to achieve as a F2P player, as long as you have the skill and the knowledge.

That sounds like a quote a martial arts sensei would make. You are a Gwent sensei! Do you by chance have long mustaches and wear flowing robes? :D

While I accede your point as reasonable, I'm not sure that it is borne out in reality. It would be nice to see if someone could actually make it up the ladder as a F2P player. It might make for an interesting Twitch stream to see one of the top players actually try to hit the top of the ladder using only the default deck and what they could mill/scrap and collect from kegs. It might even be a stream I'd actually watch.

265feral;n8153580 said:
That sounds like a quote a martial arts sensei would make. You are a Gwent sensei! Do you by chance have long mustaches and wear flowing robes? :D

:wisegirl:

265feral;n8153580 said:
top players actually try to hit the top of the ladder using only the default deck and what they could mill/scrap and collect from kegs

Lets do the math. You can make a competitive deck with 4 legendaries (either silver/gold), 5 epics, 8 rares and 8 commons.
That's a total value of 5130 scraps (not the selling price).
-- The basic deck is about 1200 scraps.
= 3930 scraps left.
-- With a bit of luck you get 2 epics and 1 legendary you can use from kegs, worth 1200 scraps.
= 2730 scraps left.
-- You get 3 kegs per day playing 2 tiers. That's 150 scraps on average including GG and an occasional epic.
= 19 days to get a full deck when playing mostly casual.
= If you can make level 20 for a free Decoy + Ciri and some ranking level rewards you can probably push the number of days back to 15.
==> 15 days to get a fully competitive deck as F2P (with a little bit of luck)

For a really good player that's maybe possible, I grant you that.

For an ordinary player, or a player new to the game...not so likely. You're assuming that you get the legendaries and epics and then assuming that they are useful cards in the deck you want (not necessarily the same thing but even so you could mill them into something useful). You're also assuming that you'd mill all the cards from the factions you haven't chosen which is unrealistic (but given this scenario I'm happy to accept). I really struggled at the start of playing Gwent and had to accept that I'd have to live with winning 1 round per game for quite a while to slowly build up my ore and scraps until I could craft a deck that would work so the assumption that getting 3 kegs a day is optimistic at best and not borne out by my (admittedly not the best Gwent player in the world) experience. It's a nice numbers game you've written out but for a casual or average player I don't think it's feasible.

However, the thought experiment we have here is that a top player (rather than an ignoramus like me) tries to do this and in that case I admit that your figures may not be far from what's possible - it'd be interesting to see one of them try it and find out how accurate your estimate of 15-20 days actually is. Think it will ever happen? There'd be no better time than the introduction of the open beta, after all. If one of them were brave enough to try it (and better yet, document it somehow) when the open beta kicks in it would be really interesting to follow. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them are likely to try it which is a shame.

BTW, kudos to you for working it all out!

265feral

There is a YouTuber (whose name I forgot) that uses two accounts. One of those is F2P and he shows how far you can get. Open beta changes little in that regard because everyone participated in closed beta will receive free kegs based on their level and ranking.

And yes, my calculations were based on the assumption that you know what you are doing. During closed beta you can get experience which gives you a head start in open beta.

Honestly, when you're just getting started, I'd say watching streams will help your progression more than anything else. Someone like twitch=> Swimstrim is great because he explains his thinking a lot. A good handle on the mechanics and flow of the game >>> an efficient route to a budget netdeck for your dailies progression.

Guys, i read only 3 pages from this thread, so excuse me for not knowing all the complains, but you wanted CD red project to make gwent no? You got gwent. You wanted to make f2p sided, you got it.
As a hearthstone player, i am very pleased , and now some people are complaining for not getting legendaries in kregs.
I don t want this game to be pay2win sided, you pay money, is your choice, i choose to play this game free. And if you don t have time to play for kregs, this means that you can t actually play this game. This game is meant to be played, And this is what i like , you play daily and get 3 kregs. What could you possibly ask more?
Try to make a good deck and have fun in hearthstone playing without money. Is almost impossible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom