GWENT: Ask a Dev

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you please elaborate on what you mentioned in the Homecoming post regarding milling cards for full value? Is there going to be a soft collection wipe? In any case will the ore, kegs and powder we have collected thus far carry over after 6 months?

This post can be removed. I'm not interested in two-row-gwent and decided to delete my question, because I don't care about the answer anymore.

Last edited:
SynVolka;n10819281 said:
Hello devs, I have a question about the new 6 month homecoming project. First of all, I am full on board with this and props for having faith in the game, we do too. The game needs some focused development. I was just wondering whether this project started just now (namely with the announcement) or it has been going on for a while now, maybe since December or shortly after then. You have listed some ambitious goals in the roadmap and I hope that 6 months is enough time for what you have planned. Also, can we assume that development on Thronebreaker has almost finished and the focus is now shifting again to the multiplayer and aesthetic (e.g. UI) aspects of the game?

Hi! First of all, thank you for the kind words and your faith, means a lot! The idea was brewing since the beginning of the year, the project itself is being worked on as I write this, with new gameplay prototypes already being tested, our focus is now split between implementing the changes to multiplayer (Homecoming) and working on Thronebreaker.

Cheers!

Hi Devs,
I wanted to know whether we'd be getting the challenges for the outstanding leader cards anytime soon? Would be nice to have this before zHomecoming/Thronebreaker.

During draw phase when a Wardancer is placed on board by swapping it, sometimes it gets no buff when a Vrihedd Vanguard is swapped after that. Is there a special condition for this combo?

Thunderscape;n10831261 said:
Hello!

Any chance on giving a dev diary on the progress of things during this six months?
New artwork, art direction, factions, changes etc?

Or even new tournaments hosted by CDPR?

We're planning to update people along the way as often as we can.

SynVolka;n10839201 said:
Can you please elaborate on what you mentioned in the Homecoming post regarding milling cards for full value? Is there going to be a soft collection wipe? In any case will the ore, kegs and powder we have collected thus far carry over after 6 months?

There will be no wipe. All resources that you've gathered (scraps, powder, kegs, card collection) will stay.

However, since there will be big changes to card abilities and the game itself, we are aware that most of players will want to build their decks anew. In order to help with this, for a short period players will be able to mill all of the cards they own for full value.

cloak111;n10864401 said:
Hi Devs,
I wanted to know whether we'd be getting the challenges for the outstanding leader cards anytime soon? Would be nice to have this before zHomecoming/Thronebreaker.

It's hard to say - at the moment project Homecoming is our priority.

johannviktor;n10869541 said:
During draw phase when a Wardancer is placed on board by swapping it, sometimes it gets no buff when a Vrihedd Vanguard is swapped after that. Is there a special condition for this combo?

Wardancer will be adjusted in the patch planned for May.

Is it fun to play with 30-40% win-rate? Are you going to do something with matchmaking?
MMR is totally broken system.
I don't want to gain rewards and ranks for losting games.

Last edited:
Question I'd like to ask, in line with posts I made elsewhere - why is the initial draw not equal? Surely it makes sense to randomise the initial draw, but have it exactly the same for both players so the deck is ordered identically?

I don't mean card for card, just bronze, silver, gold order. That way nobody is losing games because the opponent just got a better draw.

Hello

Thanks for the game!

I wonder if you publish some material about balancing/creating gwent cards? A a game designer myself I would be curious to see how you manage that.

Zubr_;n10903751 said:
Is it fun to play with 30-40% win-rate? Are you going to do something with matchmaking?
MMR is totally broken system.
I don't want to gain rewards and ranks for losting games.

The system will be updated with project Homecoming.

nedders;n10915157 said:
Question I'd like to ask, in line with posts I made elsewhere - why is the initial draw not equal? Surely it makes sense to randomise the initial draw, but have it exactly the same for both players so the deck is ordered identically?

I don't mean card for card, just bronze, silver, gold order. That way nobody is losing games because the opponent just got a better draw.

This RNG element is part of every card game, sometimes you will draw, thin or tutor for the cards you need, but sometimes you won't draw into them.

Streletz;n10916063 said:
Hello

Thanks for the game!

I wonder if you publish some material about balancing/creating gwent cards? A a game designer myself I would be curious to see how you manage that.

Hi, yes I plan to make a video about balancing and design before and after Homecoming :)

FYI CDPR - I've been thinking about the issue with repetitiveness and copying that goes on and wondered if you would consider introducing a game mode that ONLY allows decks without duplicates? Don't get rid of the main game, but call it "Shupe's Adventure" or something in honour of the Shupe card. You'd have to remove the Shupe card from that game, of course, and obviously it would need a bit of thought for some units (Nekker, Harpy, etc.) but you can keep the "spawn" feature of cards, just remove "summon".

I personally feel it would help create a lot more variety across the game. Not many featured/copied decks from the 'top' players are unique card-only, plus they're harder to fashion as a lot depends on the deal (I've already posted about that, you MUST balance up the deal IMO so both players get the same card order). I've stopped playing because I just get bored of facing relentless Viper Witchers or Skellige Warriors and their stupid ships! Because I like to run a unique card deck - I have no interest in copying someone else, what's the point? - I'm at the mercy of the order of cards a lot of the time. I hold my own when faced with a less formulaic deck, but as soon as I see SK warrior turn up, unless I have Schirru, Ithlinne and get really lucky with Shupe, I cannot win.

Just food for thought - I don't think it would take a lot of effort and would add a really nice dimension, dynamic and lease of life to the game.

nedders;n10920560 said:
FYI CDPR - I've been thinking about the issue with repetitiveness and copying that goes on and wondered if you would consider introducing a game mode that ONLY allows decks without duplicates? Don't get rid of the main game, but call it "Shupe's Adventure" or something in honour of the Shupe card. You'd have to remove the Shupe card from that game, of course, and obviously it would need a bit of thought for some units (Nekker, Harpy, etc.) but you can keep the "spawn" feature of cards, just remove "summon".

I personally feel it would help create a lot more variety across the game. Not many featured/copied decks from the 'top' players are unique card-only, plus they're harder to fashion as a lot depends on the deal (I've already posted about that, you MUST balance up the deal IMO so both players get the same card order). I've stopped playing because I just get bored of facing relentless Viper Witchers or Skellige Warriors and their stupid ships! Because I like to run a unique card deck - I have no interest in copying someone else, what's the point? - I'm at the mercy of the order of cards a lot of the time. I hold my own when faced with a less formulaic deck, but as soon as I see SK warrior turn up, unless I have Schirru, Ithlinne and get really lucky with Shupe, I cannot win.

Just food for thought - I don't think it would take a lot of effort and would add a really nice dimension, dynamic and lease of life to the game.

Interesting idea, but as you probably know, full focus right now is on project Homecoming, which will changes things quite a bit. Nevertheless I really like the idea.

Burza46;n10918475 said:
The system will be updated with project Homecoming.

Thanks for answer.
Are you going to update system when gain 15 points for win and lost 30 for defeat?
It is very annoying to play like this.

Can you please not remove a row and quite possibly this time actually kill the game with the worst decision you have ever made? Removing something so integral and core part of the game, might as well rename it, because it's not gonna be Gwent. I can't believe this is happening, always loved and supported Gwent, never hated and still to this day recommend this game to friends, but now this is making me feeling like quitting when Homecoming hits, such a shame because I was so happy and optimistic about it.

Stormkahn;n10923878 said:
Can you please not remove a row and quite possibly this time actually kill the game with the worst decision you have ever made? Removing something so integral and core part of the game, might as well rename it, because it's not gonna be Gwent. I can't believe this is happening, always loved and supported Gwent, never hated and still to this day recommend this game to friends, but now this is making me feeling like quitting when Homecoming hits, such a shame because I was so happy and optimistic about it.

I would wait for the release of Homecoming, everything is still in the works :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom