Something is off With the Coinflip

+
Thats why if you go 1st you have to play something that cant be interacted with or that you dont care if it is. All decks should be built to have what are essentially buff or setup for later cards which allow you to gain some benefit without playing anything interactable. Do this and force out a less than ideal card from opponent first.

If you have no snowball proactive play yes you lose 1st round going 1st and the game after that, but if you start savage bear, Kaedweni siege support, warlongship, etc, you have quite a good chance of tempoing or disrupting their game plan enough to win or get a good pass, another possibility is utilizing the good old Ciri+roach and spy milking strategy on 1stR to force a +2 CA and win from that. It is harder to win going 1st but you can equip your deck to deal with it getting any kind of CA on R1, or having a very strong T2-T3 strategy (consume or reaver hunters)

RedanianPikemen;n8977640 said:
Soo the game is decided by a coinflip?

Boys, the secret is out. Quick, gag him before even more players learn the truth!

Also, thread merged.

Coinflip thread #3492385023570237523858923652736875232698237856923969823698326846435

Don't make me lose coinflip if I already lost it in a previous game. That's it. If it means longer queue I'm fine with it. Half of the games I lose is purely coinflip's fault. I go first -> I win R1 with -1 CA -> I don't draw spy/We both have a spy -> I got 1 less card in R3 -> Loss by ~8 points.

This is how I would like to see matchmaking: I go first in game 1, next game I get matched against player who went second in his previous game, so I guaranteed go second in my game 2.

coinflip is random during the starting of R1
the last person to pass the round gets to Go first in round 2
& similarly in round 3

Coinflip isn't won taking turns. It's random, 50/50 odds, and that's precisely how it should stay.

What should be addressed however, is how much going 2nd favours you in 95% of the cases.

Either create more cards which actively give the player a strategic advantage by going first or give the player who goes first some sort of direct advantage (what, though, has been discussed to infinity and I have yet to see one suggestion that I really like =S).

mishant;n9160780 said:
last person to pass the round gets to Go first in round 2

No if you win round then you get to first. It has nothing to with passing.

On topic. Since we have no other resources besides cards and points it only makes sense to give player that lost coin flip 5-8 points.
That is only sensible solution that I can see since everything else is just too strong. Token is too strong since it can be used
in too many ways. Extra card NOPE...Ability to chose who goes first in next round ? Nope because we have nasty spies if
we didn't have them that would be solid solution.

CA is mostly overrated. Also, in Gwent, you literally have a 50/50 chance in the first round. That's fair in my book...

sund_F;n9160690 said:
Don't make me lose coinflip if I already lost it in a previous game. That's it. If it means longer queue I'm fine with it. Half of the games I lose is purely coinflip's fault. I go first -> I win R1 with -1 CA -> I don't draw spy/We both have a spy -> I got 1 less card in R3 -> Loss by ~8 points.

This is how I would like to see matchmaking: I go first in game 1, next game I get matched against player who went second in his previous game, so I guaranteed go second in my game 2.

I do not quite get that logic. You assume that you win R1 because you played a card first and then your opponent tapped out, but your opponent does not seem to need to use more cards than you to win R2, somehow (even it you were to immediately tap out yourself, you opponent would have to play at least one card, right?) totally ignoring that since you do not need to win the round you have total control over how much you want to invest into R2, which can be devastating for those relying on combos instead of average value per card.

While I agree that depening on the coin flip your strategy slightly changes I do not agree with the "going second is always an advantage". It used to be an issue with ST because you could choose the outcome that suited your strategy better and force the opponent to go first even if you won the round before that, but that is not here anymore for that reason.

Forgot to mention it's the carry-over from R1 case. I can't drypass, I can't generate enough power to eliminate CA.

Spies have the effect of changing the coinflip, and they cost 10-12 points. However, they offer some card selection, can be played in weather, and can be played at the opportune moment. Thus, I think 5 points is a reasonable amount to give to the player who wins the coinflip (goes first). This would be similar to the coin in Hearthstone, and would be good for the game.
There are some rare situations where you want to play first, the NG reveal mirror, playing a Mangonel first, even if they lock/kill it you can play another and put them in serious trouble- they can't play their own Mangonel since it will get destroyed instantly, and almost every card in their hand will reveal and instantly lose value.

Arcologist;n9166000 said:
Thus, I think 5 points is a reasonable amount to give to the player who wins the coinflip (goes first).

Doesn't work because then the player can just instant pass and regain the advantage in the 2nd turn, which could actually be devastating depending on the type of deck.

No, the solution ain't that easy.

So what? You do realize the player who goes 2nd can already do that, just pass after they play their first card? And yet you almost never see that- it's not devastating to let them win using 1 card..

Is it really a 50% chance to go first and second?

Hi i returned to play gwent after a few weeks and after 2 days i noticed i go first most of my games.
Yesterday i played 5 games and i went first in 4
Today i played 8 and went first in 6

Its a little annoying since it makes harder getting my daily keg since going first usually gives me a lower winrate.

Is this normal or i was just unlucky?

Personally, i have notice i go first more times than going second. But i know it's random who goes first and even in a tie (i don't know if it's different from 50-50). Being first have some disadvantage, they might chance something going to second round for the ones who went first but not so far to give more card to the one who went first, maybe he can change 2 cards instead or one or something.

arkhalon;n9286331 said:
Is this normal or i was just unlucky?

Both. It is normal for a binomial distribution to have some really unlucky and some really lucky people. Going first in 10 out of 13 matches has a ~3.5% chance, up to you to decide if you want to feel unlucky about that.

Top Bottom