Something is off With the Coinflip

+
4RM3D;n9286481 said:
arkhalon thread merged

I blame the Illuminati for this conspiracy.

You need to put something about putting your tin foil hat on in the thread title! This is some of the silliest stuff I've ever seen. Oh, and if you're being told that you will go first in the next round if you won the previous round, there's no reason to state who played more cards, who passed first, or any of that. The mechanic is if you win the previous round you play the next one, so provide video proof or admit that you just didn't understand what was being explained to you. If you are winning a round and then going 2nd in the following round, then I would encourage you to not only provide video evidence here, but also in the bug forum. I think it likely that you're still thinking about who played more cards or passed first, which is irrelevant (so stop mentioning it!)

As to the coin flip for round one, someone already said it but a sample size of 8 or 10 or whatever is ridiculously low. Someone mentioned flipping a coin 1000 times, and unless anybody here has this sort of recorded data (recorded, for every game, not just what you "saw" over about 1,000 games) and not just anecdotal evidence then you look like a victim of statistics with comically low sample sizes and confirmation bias.

Many posts in this thread display people just talking about two different things because one or both sides are clearly just ignoring the other.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't understand the original post, how does one concede prior to the coinflip? I think everyone is focusing too much on this coinflip because they have nothing else to focus on until new cards come out. I sincerely believe if there was anything obviously bugged with the coinflip it woulda been addressed already because it is observered 10000s of time a day by people all over the world. The coinflip is the one consistent that we all must endore when playing this game. You all are paranoid.

The whole coinflip thing and the threads whining about it, are pointless.Like i mentioned in that other thread,this is one of the few "mechanics" from our original gwent mini game,most of us fell in love with.I hope it STAYS like this.The game has evolved and became much better.But of course some people are still unhappy about minor stuff like the coinflip.

a_page06;n9294921 said:
As to the coin flip for round one, someone already said it but a sample size of 8 or 10 or whatever is ridiculously low. Someone mentioned flipping a coin 1000 times, and unless anybody here has this sort of recorded data (recorded, for every game, not just what you "saw" over about 1,000 games) and not just anecdotal evidence then you look like a victim of statistics with comically low sample sizes and confirmation bias.

1. Some people are noticing something odd. Why do you expect that someone would spend a lot of time to record things? They simply notice and look forward to see if someone else is experiencing the same....

Normally, one reading the post can either choose to believe, check how the game works for him/her and share the results, either he/she can choose to ignore the post and do anything else.
Or.... post something out of his/hers smart-panties wisdom ;).

2. 80% of my games I am first. Every day since I started to play open-beta. I would prefer to start second against certain decks...but this is how RNG God works. Probably not enough offerings :p

I'm also going first in the coinflip about 80% of the time. This makes me NEED to win round 1 for card even-ness or else my oppononent will have crazy card advantage in round 3.

there is nothing wrong with the coinflip

50/50 whoever in rd 1 is obviously fine. whoever wins that rd should go first in rd 2. and whoever wins rd 2 should go first in rd 3.

all that matters is making sure RNG does the rd 1 perfectly for 50/50 split and no bugs make whoever that loses a rd not go first in the next rd

Stormbuster;n9298441 said:
1. Some people are noticing something odd. Why do you expect that someone would spend a lot of time to record things? They simply notice and look forward to see if someone else is experiencing the same....

Normally, one reading the post can either choose to believe, check how the game works for him/her and share the results, either he/she can choose to ignore the post and do anything else.
Or.... post something out of his/hers smart-panties wisdom ;).

2. 80% of my games I am first. Every day since I started to play open-beta. I would prefer to start second against certain decks...but this is how RNG God works. Probably not enough offerings :p

1. I don't expect them to, but I do expect that if they are going to claim percentages then they certainly will.

2. How did you come to that percentage? Sample size? If you just say "I did the math in my head" or "its just what I saw" then you are both a victim of confirmation bias as well as selective memory.

My only point is don't use specific, percentage based terms or say that there's some sort of conspiracy within the game without any actual evidence to support it. I'm not saying one way or another whether or not the coin flip is fair, but I am saying that its likely nobody claiming it isn't fair has any actual evidence to support it.

There's definitely evil at work. I strongly believe that whomever has the misfortunate of starting first should get a bonus 10 power

to their next coinflip whinge post/thread.

a_page06;n9316591 said:
2. How did you come to that percentage?

80%...what is so hard. I play only the daily 6 rounds / 12 rounds. Every day I play between 9 to 12 games to get those 12 rounds. I am starting second one game per day, quite rarely 2. Maybe is not 80%...maybe is only 78.854%, my bad. Never thought that counting a rare event needs anything else but my head.

There is no conspiracy in this regard 50% of all the players go first and 50% go second. So for someone to go 80% first there will be someone to get 80% second.

I'm a referee and i mostly try (if there is no automated program to do so) to even out the colors or as close as possible to 50/50 when there are odd rounds.

Even on even rounds is impossible due to other pairing priorities.

One solution (i don't know if it's easy or not) is something like this: if 2 people met and one played first, the other second last game, reverse the order without coinflip. And led the coinflip decide if both got second or first last game played. At least until the win/loss on going first/second gets resolved or as close to 50% as possible.

Now concerning the topic at hand, after 138 ranked games (and counting) with my NR deck I have this data regarding coin flips:
75 (54.35%) going first (32 wins - 42.67% win ratio)
63 (45.65%) going second (41 wins - 65.08% win ratio)

lol i was wondering if i was the only one... since the current season finally has an end i was laddering n all of a sudden i kept losing the coin toss for 8 games consecutively...

Coin toss (bug?)

Coin toss has been rather weird for me lately. I did some statistics, and out of my 25 last played ranked games, I lost coin toss exactly 21 times. Have someone experienced something similar? I am not complaining or anything (I managed to win 18 games out of that) and it could be just a COINcidence, but I find it very courious.

I also noticed that on last developer stream they had Dice Poker set on the table. It would be very nice of them to replace Coin Toss with Dice poker minigame on start of every game (and more fair to players than just 50:50 chance to win/lose coin toss)

As per my observations is not random. I play a Kambi deck which insures me a WR of 80%+ if I start second. As adirect consequence I am first EVERY DAY (EVERY DAY) at least 8 out of 10 matches (and I play 10-20 games every day). I have days were this ratio is 100%. Not to mention that every single match I have 30 sec waiting time for a "proper" opponent.

I wonder how much time will be passing until a larger mass of player will note that the game is rigged. Are you paying attention of what type of decks are you matched against if playing deck A? But when playing deck B?

Tip: You want to play against fewer monster decks using harpies? Easy. Put 2-3 ST in your deck. Number of opponents playing monster decks will be dramatically reduced.

Part of the players are more equal than the others. If you played HS, you know already which part.

Stormbuster After 54 levels and more then 1000 matches played overall (46% NR, 20% ST, 20% SK, 10% NG and 4% Monster), all I can say is that the issues you describe about the coin toss and the matchmaking system have never happened to me. Maybe the Gods don't favor you the same way they do to me, but based on my own numbers I'm more inclined to believe your argument and statistics are unreal, sorry.

Last edited:
There was a 50/50 chance of a thread already existing on this issue... and I won that coinflip. :cool:

So: weedy69 thread merged.

Last edited:
Good things you're talking about a Kambi deck there, because Swim was the one that brought Kambi back to the top of the ladder. There are 3 recorded streams of him playing with his Kambi decks suming up something close to 37 matches (yes I counted them by rapidly passing through the videos). Although the sample size is not ideally big enough, here we have some concrete numbers with 3 recorded videos as proof.

Swim's Kambi Deck Coinflip
-
Matches37 (100%)
Going First18 (49%)
Going Second19 (51%)
-
"Surprisingly" it's close to a 50/50. I'm really sorry for you, cuz it seems the game doesn't like you at all.

And here are the videos: Video #1, Video #2 & Video #3.

Top Bottom