What's the point of Level?

+
What's the point of Level?

Just curious. What's the point of a players level? In ranked play, you face someone of similar.....rank. In casual,there's no matchmaking model whatsoever. So other than a reward, which really doesn't require a number attached to it, what's the point of your level?

I expect the developers goal was originally to make sure that by the time you were able to play rank you'd want to have unlocked stuff. So the level system encourages you to play lots of games to unlock stuff. In theory there is an MMR system at work even outside of rank although I can't figure out if it's hidden information or private. Beyond that I can only imagine it's like how Steam counts minutes and hours of game time too without asking me if I want to know that. I mean. Doesn't everyone want a measure of soul sucking time spent playing a game your not sure you like so why not play it more until you at feel like it's something you more fully understand?

What's the point in asking what's the point of level?

:hmm:

Anyhow, level progression is just another goal you can work towards to. Don't think to hard on stuff like this. Besides, getting rewards is already a good enough argument.

Ihear_BlueColors;n9121880 said:
In theory there is an MMR system at work even outside of rank although I can't figure out if it's hidden information or private. Beyond that I can only imagine it's like how Steam counts minutes and hours of game time too without asking me if I want to know that.

Wrong and wrong AFAIK.

Despite having played more than 1700 matches in CB, my GOG only counts the number of hours played since the OB which currently sits at 6h (yeah... i've lost most the interest in the game). I'm currently lvl 15, rank 6 and i'm being matched several times (i'd say around half the times) against 30+ lvl players, with ranks 15+ and 2.5x to 3x my MMR.

So i'd say its pretty much random matchmaking in casual atm.

Last edited:
supafreaky;n9121820 said:
Just curious. What's the point of a players level? In ranked play, you face someone of similar.....rank. In casual,there's no matchmaking model whatsoever. So other than a reward, which really doesn't require a number attached to it, what's the point of your level?

1. Gating for certain features that unlock later, like Milling or Ranked play;
2. Additional rewards on regular basis; do not forget that beyond the kegs and other small rewards, you get guaranteed Legendaries at 20, 30, 50, 60, 70 etc.
3. The only "feat of strength" that shows up on your profile that displays how much you played (total experience let's say), as the ranks reset each season.

Last edited:
The levels net you rewards over time, and also determine when you can start playing ranked. Other than that, they're really just a numerical representation of your progress in the game. However, I think the first two items make them necessary (or at least a convenient design to encourage playing and keep players from rushing into ranked too quickly and getting frustrated).

Rawls;n9128840 said:
The levels net you rewards over time, and also determine when you can start playing ranked. Other than that, they're really just a numerical representation of your progress in the game. However, I think the first two items make them necessary (or at least a convenient design to encourage playing and keep players from rushing into ranked too quickly and getting frustrated).

agreed, however I think just keeping a count of games played could do that too

The point of level to me is the point of playing when your losing games non stop at least you know your going to get something from leveling up.

supafreaky;n9129000 said:
agreed, however I think just keeping a count of games played could do that too

Really? What multiplayer game have you seen do this? All games have a "Level" system similar to this, I don't understand your puzzlement, sounds more like trolling. Even games from other genres like Battlefield or any others you can think of have a Rank displayed near your username so people can see how "experienced" you are (how much you played really). Did you see in any multiplayer game something like "573 games played" displayed?

Brenex;n9131630 said:
Really? What multiplayer game have you seen do this? All games have a "Level" system similar to this, I don't understand your puzzlement, sounds more like trolling. Even games from other genres like Battlefield or any others you can think of have a Rank displayed near your username so people can see how "experienced" you are (how much you played really). Did you see in any multiplayer game something like "573 games played" displayed?

Isn't trolling at all. And just because other games have it doesn't make it a requirement for all games. Actually sounds like a fantastic way to kill anything new. And who said anything about how many games you played being displayed to others? You have an avatar border, you have a title, and you have a rank. Plenty of public recognition for those who need it.

supafreaky;n9136480 said:
Isn't trolling at all. And just because other games have it doesn't make it a requirement for all games. Actually sounds like a fantastic way to kill anything new. And who said anything about how many games you played being displayed to others? You have an avatar border, you have a title, and you have a rank. Plenty of public recognition for those who need it.

Ok, so this must be a hypothetical discussion then because:

1. The question in the thread title has already been answered (check my initial post and what other people posted);
2. You only offered alternatives, no actual reasons for why it shouldn't be like this or why it should be changed;
3. Changing something in a game requires development work, which costs money, and I don't really think it is a priority to change something that isn't problematic in any way.

I didn't say it's a requirement for all games, I gave that example because your question made it sound like it's a weird feature, not something common. If they chose to put it there, what's the problem really?

Brenex;n9137560 said:
Ok, so this must be a hypothetical discussion then because:

1. The question in the thread title has already been answered (check my initial post and what other people posted);
2. You only offered alternatives, no actual reasons for why it shouldn't be like this or why it should be changed;
3. Changing something in a game requires development work, which costs money, and I don't really think it is a priority to change something that isn't problematic in any way.

I didn't say it's a requirement for all games, I gave that example because your question made it sound like it's a weird feature, not something common. If they chose to put it there, what's the problem really?

1. The question hasn't really been answered. I have read all the other posts and the most common answer seems to be level rewards. Rewards don't need levels. Matches played, matches won, whatever.

2. I'm not saying it's wrong or shouldn't be like this. I'm saying it serves no purpose so I'm curious what the point is supposed to be. Generally a player level denotes skill level, experience level or whatever and is used to match equally skilled opponents. It doesn't do that here. Level has pretty much nothing to do with matchmaking (or anything else) in gwent. Matchmaking uses rank in ranked, and some unknown magical unicorn dust for matchmaking in casual.

3. Somehow I doubt removing levels or making it relevant would send the company to the poorhouse.

So once again, we have rank to give an indication of your skill level. we have borders and titles to indicate your general success level. Rewards could easily be based on pretty much anything else. (games played, won, lost, whatever.) Say I just started playing. I've plugged away, made it to level 8, looking forward to hitting 10 so I can try ranked. And then I'm matched with a lvl 18. based on pretty much every other multiplayer game out there, I'm severely outmatched. Which might not actually be the case in gwent.

My point is that player levels don't actually serve a purpose. And if it doesn't serve a purpose, why have it?

Let me tell you a story about a chap called Spanky Ham and another chap called Wooldorf Sockbat, well you see here these chaps were in a reality tv program and they were asking the same question. What is the point, they pondered and pondered for days. Well I'll cut straight to the chase... These chaps decided to go to a magical land called make a point land, on their journey they battled monsterous creatures such as charlotte the spider and various other foes who got in their way. Well at the end of the story, the point of their reality tv show was that there was no point, and well they are much wiser for their journeys.

supafreaky;n9144990 said:
My point is that player levels don't actually serve a purpose. And if it doesn't serve a purpose, why have it?

I think it's now time to turn the tables --> What's the point in asking over and over again the same question after getting already so many constructive answers - even Burza gave you an answer -? (it can be a goal reaching lvl 100, getting rewards, you can see how experienced a player is, ....)
So why do you still stick to the question? Are you bored?

Cheers
DeeSpinne

Top Bottom