Cards out of place(Forcing into archetype)

+
Checco515;n9167210 said:
Ciri:Dash and Johnny work pretty well in my mulligan deck, Sarah is sadly necessary though.

Perhaps our defination of "pretty well" differs, it needs to be a top1000 deck minimum for me to see it as any more than trash. There is zero reason to run ciri dash outside of a discard deck due to demote putting her at risk of being utterly shut down.

FG15-ISH7EG;n9167420 said:
I believe mulligan would be much greater as a support for the other archetypes. For example, having a card that moves an adjacent ally to a different row, whenever you mulligan a card, or a dwarf, who is strengthened by 2 whenever you mulligan it. Such that Mulligan can be used in every archtype effectively, because being able to mulligan 3 additional cards is basically a great thing no matter which archetype you play.

The mulligan mechanic is inherently flawed though, type "deck sequencing theory" into google and read up on the problems. With mulligan as it is you're going to cycle the same few cards over and over again in a mulligan deck. This issue can be fixed by adding one of two things; a post mulligan shuffle or alternatively placing cards at the bottom of the deck once redrawn during the mulligan. It would be far more constructive for the sake of the game to adopt one of these two approaches as opposed to reworking the mulligan archetype, which looks enjoyable if not for the aforementioned issues at present.

Redcoat2012;n9173600 said:
Perhaps our defination of "pretty well" differs, it needs to be a top1000 deck minimum for me to see it as any more than trash.

I checked the Leaderboard though, you are not in the top 1000; by your definition, are all the decks you use trash, too?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Checco515;n9173940 said:
I checked the Leaderboard though, you are not in the top 1000; by your definition, are all the decks you use trash, too?)

Quiet, if you're not rank 1 you're a terrible player :).

Checco515;n9173940 said:
I'm not sure he implied that. If I understand the point correctly he's talking about a high winning rate. The same thing I asked you about before...
Restlessdingo32;n9174290 said:
Quiet, if you're not rank 1 you're a terrible player :).
Nobody implied that. But you have to take a few things into consideration: for example, if you make a deck and have a 30-40% winning rate with it, it's either deck isn't good or...

HenryGrosmont;n9174822 said:
I'm not sure he implied that. If I understand the point correctly he's talking about a high winning rate. The same thing I asked you about before...

I'm sorry, I completely missed your post, I will answer now.

I'm not sure keeping track of Win % has any sense while playing Casual, that Mulligan deck was around 63%.
Weeks ago I reached level 18 (where you get the last keg reward before Grandmaster) with a Consume deck, and have not played Ranked ever since.
(got tired of Dagon swarms and quit)

A serious question: do you guys consider relevant data the Win % in Casual?

Checco515;n9173940 said:
I see we have an elite player here :surprised:, sorry for making you lose time with my trashtalking.

I've been using an Eithne deck with 3 scorches, a Milva to reset the buffed cards, a bunch of hawker supports and a Braenn/Sapper to dump the buffs into. I have been running this deck since Dwarves and Reveal were emerging as net decks almost 2 weeks ago. Very similar decks are starting to emerge on the ladder albeit often including a Borkh, Dragoons, and fire trappers. It bugs the hell out of me as now people have grown accustom to playing around my many scorches, before my deck was far less popular and therefore shutting down the triple 20 strength spotter and 4 buffed dwarves that those two decks were abusing. Seeing as Gwentlemen lists what is essentially the deck I've been using as a "tier 1" deck (I loathe that terminology) I can safely say that no my deck is not trash.

I can however say that yours by contrast is complete garbage as it uses the mulligan archetype which is completely buggered simply due to the unintended phenomena known as "deck sequencing theory", in essence any card you mulligan will likely be at the top of your deck and therefore the mulligan loses an immense amount of its intended value, you're not randomly drawing a card from the deck as was CDPR's stated intentions, you're recycling the same few cards.

Test it yourself with a silver card, mulligan it away first and then use 2 officers or one and Francesca and you'll see that it keeps being redrawn, if not first then second and very rarely as the 3rd, do this more than once... I do like the deck conceptually but when you're taught how the mulligan is not nearly as random as you'd be lead to believe and start applying that knowledge to the game, you should quickly realise how pointless the entire mulligan archetype has become. When compared to say Discard which simultaneously redraws trash cards whilst thinning the deck and simultaneously nurturing Ciri dash in a safe unshackleable location Mulligan cannot hold a candle to it.

In order to fix Mulligans and as a consequence the mulligan deck archetype CDPR will need to either place cards that are redrawn during the mulligan at the bottom of the deck or alternatively shuffle the deck post mulligan, I'd argue for the former over the later as it doesn't mess with Xarth as much. Yes this would be a significant buff to mulligans but everyone gets one so it really doesn't matter. CDPR (rethaz) has stated that they don't intend to implement such features, citing things like creative directions and other rhetoric. This is quite amusing as rethaz previously stated that mulligans are pure RNG and that we're just idiots buying into things like confirmation bias. As soon as it was mathematically proven he changed his stance to something a like 'oh we want this because it adds complexity at the highest level', the truth however is that it really double downs the RNG luck factor of your initial deck draw, heavily restricts deck building, undermines the mulligan mechanic and makes an entire archetype irrelevant. The counter argument he displayed was that Guardian and Xarth, a mere 2 cards that aren't even staples of the NG faction would be effected whilst completely ignoring how big an effect this has on the game itself and that an entire archetype is flawed because of it.

One post edited. Another deleted. Less condescension and personal attacks. Thanks. Or you know ... infractions/bans etc etc.

Redcoat2012;n9173600 said:
Perhaps our defination of "pretty well" differs, it needs to be a top1000 deck minimum for me to see it as any more than trash. There is zero reason to run ciri dash outside of a discard deck due to demote putting her at risk of being utterly shut down.

So, any deck not in the top 1000 is trash? How would you even know this? There are people not even playing Ranked, who have decks you don't even know about? Why don't you just go beyond this statement. Why not go for, "If I haven't seen it on Youtube, it must be trash."

Checco515;n9173940 said:

This assumes people use the same username on the boards as they do on Gwent. I don't. So how would either of you know if I was top 1000 or not?

And how is any of this relevant to the OP?

On topic - I agree that ST is disappointing in its weather removal creature and it's locking creature, as they are based in an archtype that isn't very good or popular. They are well behind NG and NR in these aspects. In fact, they might well be better cards if they had the option to NOT move a card if they didn't want to.

frbfree;n9176011 said:
So, any deck not in the top 1000 is trash? How would you even know this? There are people not even playing Ranked, who have decks you don't even know about? Why don't you just go beyond this statement. Why not go for, "If I haven't seen it on Youtube, it must be trash."

This assumes people use the same username on the boards as they do on Gwent. I don't. So how would either of you know if I was top 1000 or not?

And how is any of this relevant to the OP?

On topic - I agree that ST is disappointing in its weather removal creature and it's locking creature, as they are based in an archtype that isn't very good or popular. They are well behind NG and NR in these aspects. In fact, they might well be better cards if they had the option to NOT move a card if they didn't want to.

It's pretty simple, if that deck was any good I'd see it in high MMR regardless of the people playing it in casual but Mulligan ST is nowhere to be seen and for good reason. Casual game win rates frankly aren't really worthy of note as ultimately a large portion of people in casual are people testing rough decks to check for problems like over drawing and combo inconsistencies etc. I understand some people do take a serious approach to Casual, after all my deck testing would yield very weak feedback if they didn't, but it doesn't mean that someone with a 65% winrate casual deck is sitting on an untapped gem of a deck that would make the current Dagon Swarm decks look bad if only they cared enough to reach rank 1 on the leaderboard.

I got inspired by all the Movement bashing and made a Movement deck ( including crappy Iorveth and Ciaran ). It certainly isn't the most efficient deck, but it's just fine using it in Casual mode. I find it quite fun. :)

Checco515;n9174862 said:
I'm sorry, I completely missed your post, I will answer now.

I'm not sure keeping track of Win % has any sense while playing Casual, that Mulligan deck was around 63%.
Weeks ago I reached level 18 (where you get the last keg reward before Grandmaster) with a Consume deck, and have not played Ranked ever since.
(got tired of Dagon swarms and quit)

A serious question: do you guys consider relevant data the Win % in Casual?
I'm happy for you with all the fun having in Casual. And answering your question... No, it is not relevant. Hell, I even let my 4 years old son play in Casual with the decks he makes (of course, all the premium cards)...

lomvicmarko;n9170660 said:
WOW! how did you manged to miss quote me? I never said ALL I said CARD. I was talking about Ciaran, utility card like him
should be good in all situation. I have to take into account where I want him to be on my board and in lots of cases that
dictates where I'm going to move opponents locked card. So I can save opponents card from lacerate or help him stack
units for buff in which case 8 value + lock suddenly became 5 value or less.

I didn't manage to miss quote you. That's effectively what you said. If you apply that stupid logic to one card then what's stopping you from applying it to any other card? It sounds to me like you want your favorite card to be good in all situations while giving a big fuck you to every other card, that is, until you play another card you like and it screws you over because you play it wrong. And then you'll be on here complaining about some other card. Sorry friend, that's not how it works. You don't get to buff the cards you like playing. NO CARD SHOULD BE GOOD IN ALL SITUATIONS. You need to build a deck around the cards you put in it. THAT'S THE ENTIRE PREMISE OF CARD GAMES. The devs don't design cards around your shitty decks. You design decks around the cards.

Last edited:
I was being nice when I said "miss quote me' you took my quote and then tweaked it to your liking. That is something you should NEVER do on forum, acting like real commissar eh?
If you want civil discussion fire away but otherwise avoid me.

My favorite card ? I hate that card it is drowner with lock. Utility card like him shouldn't be able to hurt my play.
I would understand your argument if there were no cards that are "good in all situation" but things like Fiend/margarita and OP auckes
do exist. And not once did I asked for this card to be equal to those all I ask is for faction lock card not to be able to hurt me.
Even if it had ability not to move card it would still pale in comparison to its counterparts.

I won't even bother to dismantle rest of your post since it is just your baseless assumptions, and I have no idea how you manged to come up with it.

The problem is that you are nitpicking the bad situations and completely ignoring the best case scenario.

what if a NG player has to play his auckes when he already has 2 alchemist in play and the opponent drops the Gigni for 20 points? Are we going to ask for auckes to be agile so it cant backfire?

Your complaint about Ciaran just makes no sense.

I'm not nitpicking when you have these two abilities connected it happens regularly. Card is cool when I don't need lock(even then i might not want to move anything) but guess what mercenary does same and it is bronze. Why my lock card has to do same? it doesn't make any real sense does it.

Moment you play second alch you placed your self in that position willingly and took the risk, or you have cythia/brigade/enforcer or something to cover them. As I said already placement of my unit is dictated by placement of opponents unit it has no connection to your situation which is just classical greedy play.

Sheva007;n9180551 said:
Your complaint about Ciaran just makes no sense.

It still does make sens to me, and you example of my nitpicking doesn't do me justice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom