How long till I get to play people of my level again?

+
How long till I get to play people of my level again?

@Everyone who just stumbled upon this thread: I reached ranked play now and I can tell you the answer to the question in the title is 'once you reach ranked play'.
Sorry for rant. I'm all for steep learning curves but this game managed to get on my nerves real good.

I started playing yesterday. Did the challenges - with some effort - and eventually made my way to playing against other people. Started out mediocre but eventually got the hang of it and started winning a little more games than I lost. By the time I hit level 5 though I consistently started encountering people that were 2-3 levels above me, and way above my skill level. I think I lost nearly every game from level 5 to level 6-and-a-half. Reason I kept going on for so long is twofold. Somehow, the game is extremely addicting, but I also expected that as I would start to loose more games I would eventually be matched with less skilled players. Am I mistaken in this, or is this something that happens extremely gradually (which did not seem to be the case when the difficulty was going up)? Or is the game just telling me to git gud?

Last edited:

Easha

Forum regular
Git gud!

All jokes aside, the difference in level does not really matter. A player who loses all his games will still gain exp and thus levels up. Level is more an indicator of how many games one has played. (Winning grants more exp, though.) Plus the matchmaking process does not take only levels into account. Instead you get matched against players with similiar winrates/experience. So if you get matched vs. higher level players constantly, it means you are already better than they are - despite your lower level. You got better in fewer games and mostlikely with fewer cards avaiable.

I hope this will cheer you up. Keep playing, tweak your deck(s) , "git gud" and do not let your fun be spoiled by levels.

Yours sincerely,

Easha

As Easha already said, evaluate your deck once in a while / often.
Sometimes even replacing a single card can do the trick.

Get rid of all the crap-cards that you always seem to draw in round 3, etc etc.

Be3lzeBot;n9180911 said:
As Easha already said, evaluate your deck once in a while / often.
Sometimes even replacing a single card can do the trick.

Get rid of all the crap-cards that you always seem to draw in round 3, etc etc.

I did. Did not at first and therefore did mediocre, but then I did a major overhaul once and some minor changes every other game and then I started doing pretty well.

Easha;n9180761 said:
you get matched against players with similiar winrates/experience.

Yes, this is what I would expect and also what started happening when I was winning 2/3rd of my games. However, when I started losing a lot of games I did not get paired with easier opponents. There seems to be a huge one-way delay/inertia in the system, or the system is not capable of 'lowering' my difficulty at all (basically telling me to git gud).

2-3 levels means absolutely nothing. You are capable of beating anyone under the right circumstances. Just keep practicing, researching the game, watching streamers or whatever to get better.

Levels don't mean much. I've beaten players 10 levels above me and lost brutally to players 10 levels below me.

Levels may not mean much, but ranks do.
Or maybe thay do not mean much etiher, but the fact that this person at 50-something level and 30-something rank may have at least paid up tons of money to get a killer deck does.

I am 25-8 (level-rank) and I too am tired of being paired up with those way above me.
This is called wasting my time while these opponents slap around more XP from me.
And on the opposite end, what do I care about playing levels less than 15? And let me tell you, at those levels, levels do mean a less experienced player and a less exciting match worth playing.

The match-up in the current casual "beat-up" is disappointingly off scale. The fact that it used to be done within much better range during the CB is a disgrace.

I personally cannot understand why CDPR would do nothing to fix this frustrating situation.
I forfeit as soon as I can when paired with players way above me, and that is still a waste of my time and patience till the next match begins.

This s*** just has to stop happening.

:mean:

zecenker;n9188361 said:
paid up tons of money to get a killer deck

Hmm this doesn't sit right with me. I mean I can make brand new account and make any deck in game with just couple of hours of play.
So in terms of deck power you shouldn't be lagging behind. Matchmaker uses some form of mmr so even if you think they might
be above you they really aren't you are just focusing on these arbitrary numbers(rank/lvl).

Well I'm lvl 30-16 and sometimes I face with opponent's who's at level 70. I manage to beat those. I guess those high lvl people had some MMR drops hard before me like running on lose streak.... And then I even more hardened their drops.
:hmm:

Raunbjorn

lomvicmarko;n9188391 said:
Hmm this doesn't sit right with me. I mean I can make brand new account and make any deck in game with just couple of hours of play.
So in terms of deck power you shouldn't be lagging behind. Matchmaker uses some form of mmr so even if you think they might
be above you they really aren't you are just focusing on these arbitrary numbers(rank/lvl).

Wait what? You can make a new account and all of a sudden with just a few hours of play you can make any deck you want? Am I missing something? I've played for around 20 hours and my collection is a joke. But then again my luck is shit in this game ^^

The most expensive deck cost like 5.8k in scrap. If you mill 14 leaders, 8 default golds, you get 4400. 8 default silver gets you to 4800. Each Keg gives at least 60. 1k takes 17 kegs, which you can get fairly easily. If you play like skellige discard or NR in general, the gold is quick good, you save 600 off the list. It took me about 3 days to get the deck I wanted whilst saving a few cards. I am now lv 20 rank 19 on my new account. Also, seriously, not many total beginners, so a lot of low levels are Smurfs doing what I did (start a second account and mill like crazy). Which mean it's just who is on at the time rather than an unfair matching system. I can wait 2 mins for a game at rank 19 at casual.

Hydrahead;n9201861 said:
Wait what? You can make a new account and all of a sudden with just a few hours of play you can make any deck you want? Am I missing something? I've played for around 20 hours and my collection is a joke. But then again my luck is shit in this game ^^

Yup. You see when you want to make deck bronze and silver are not an issue so all you need is 4 gold cards for deck once you get that it easy to finish it.
Also farming gold cards is fairly easy and quick, with just half hour/hour a day of play you can get 1 gold per week easy, and if you grab those sweet
ranked scrap/keg rewards you can get even more.

Endure things until you hit level 10, then you can start with ranked that will most likely make things easier for you.

Besides, I always thought that the higher level, the worse the player is (for ranked). Logic being that they had to play more games to reach same rank as the lower level player, which suggest that the higher level player have a worse win rate.

KingPegasus;n9201911 said:
The most expensive deck cost like 5.8k in scrap. If you mill 14 leaders, 8 default golds, you get 4400. 8 default silver gets you to 4800. Each Keg gives at least 60. 1k takes 17 kegs, which you can get fairly easily. If you play like skellige discard or NR in general, the gold is quick good, you save 600 off the list. It took me about 3 days to get the deck I wanted whilst saving a few cards. I am now lv 20 rank 19 on my new account. Also, seriously, not many total beginners, so a lot of low levels are Smurfs doing what I did (start a second account and mill like crazy). Which mean it's just who is on at the time rather than an unfair matching system. I can wait 2 mins for a game at rank 19 at casual.

Sorry for the offtopic, but what is point of making a second account? As F2P player I played gwent for more than half a year now, got to rank 15 in CB, rank 19 in OB and have 3 complete factions (not decks) in my collection. Since like most adult persons I can't spend more than 7-8 hours weekly playing the game I fail to understand why do players split their time between multiple accounts. I mean do they have too much spare time and no other games to play or am I missing something?

Rayquorz;n9180621 said:
Sorry for rant. I'm all for steep learning curves but this game managed to get on my nerves real good.

I started playing yesterday. Did the challenges - with some effort - and eventually made my way to playing against other people. Started out mediocre but eventually got the hang of it and started winning a little more games than I lost. By the time I hit level 5 though I consistently started encountering people that were 2-3 levels above me, and way above my skill level. I think I lost nearly every game from level 5 to level 6-and-a-half. Reason I kept going on for so long is twofold. Somehow, the game is extremely addicting, but I also expected that as I would start to loose more games I would eventually be matched with less skilled players. Am I mistaken in this, or is this something that happens extremely gradually (which did not seem to be the case when the difficulty was going up)? Or is the game just telling me to git gud?

To contribute to the ontopic discussion, i think that in ranked play u'll get better matchups than in casual.

Hydrahead;n9201861 said:

He's just blowing it out of proportion. Takes much longer to get a good competitive deck. Unless you mill several factions, that is.

As for the OP; Casual matchmaking can be all over the place. I get paired up with people far above my level and rank. From what I understand, casual has a hidden MMR that pairs you up with people based on how well you do. You should be getting paired up with people of your "level" after that many losses.

And you're losing so much because you're just starting out. No matter how good of a player you are, you can't do anything when the other player simply has better cards.

Two account is simple, if you mill like crazy to get the deck you want, it is very hard to change faction. So you start a new account with a different faction to see if you like it more.

Raunbjorn

Rayquorz;n9180621 said:

You should try playing a wild hunt deck. I'm not bragging or anything like that (it's not hard to pilot) but I won most games up until level 10, I guess no one is expecting to go up against it. The deck is nerfed to the ground but it's so much fun playing imo, simple and kewl:) I've beaten dorfs and reveal NG in ranked but I can't win against Dagon. It's super annoying when you know your opponent won only because of a much more powerful deck. BTW what's up with casual after lvl 10? Only facing top tier MS and all that crap. Even the first ranked games I've played I've only met people with good decks. I guess if they made it so you were only playing starter deck vs starter deck at the beginning, there wouldn't be any incentative to buy kegs and thereby make money but common. Fix the new player experience already!

Rayquorz;n9180621 said:
Am I mistaken in this, or is this something that happens extremely gradually (which did not seem to be the case when the difficulty was going up)?

To circle back to the original question. Devs have said previously (and I haven't seen them say this was changed) that the Casual matchmaking is performance based, but also needs a good bit of data. The more data there is in your play history, the more accurate the matchmaking (which is also handicapped by how many players are online).

If you really went from Level 1 to 5 in a day or two, then your performance is skewed quite high (win % over total games played). The more you play, the more it will normalize. By the time you reach level 10, you should start seeing better pairings (assuming people that match you are on). When playing off-peak times you can expect greater swings in the pairings.

Top Bottom