What is CDPR's Stance on Discard Abuse by Letting the Timer Run Out?

+
What is CDPR's Stance on Discard Abuse by Letting the Timer Run Out?

I would like to see a clear answer on the matter. Is this a part of the game and an acceptable strategy? And if it isn't, how are the devs planning to address this issue?

In Gwent, roping is waiting until you almost timed out and then playing a card (and slow-rolling is playing all the cards after the opponent passed).

EDIT.
I am talking about not playing a card on your turn.

Last edited:
It is part of the game I would say, I mean time on your turn is yours and you can do what ever you want with it. Morally it is unacceptable but there is no way
to address this issue.

It's part of the game. More importantly, how would you be able to fix this? There is a reason for having a timer in the first place. If you would implement some magical anti-roping mechanic, then you are just undermining your own set of rules.

Restlessdingo32;n9206021 said:
No idea. I did hear never playing Dagon or Dwarf decks makes the issue vanish though. From a reliable source, of course.

lomvicmarko;n9206091 said:
It is part of the game I would say, I mean time on your turn is yours and you can do what ever you want with it. Morally it is unacceptable but there is no way
to address this issue.

4RM3D;n9206141 said:
It's part of the game. More importantly, how would you be able to fix this? There is a reason for having a timer in the first place. If you would implement some magical anti-roping mechanic, then you are just undermining your own set of rules.
If I recall it right, Rethas or other dev once said that it isn't a part of the game. Maybe it has changed since then, who knows...

The solution is simple - pass.

The timer is way to long in my opinion, you shouldnt have more than 15 seconds overall to play your turn, never understood people take a long time to play, and honestly its enraging.

It might not seem relevant in the current meta, since it's just rather easy tempo plays , but the timer seems fine to me. I've only had one roping game today and i'm pretty sure it was because of the bad connection the other guy had or something.

Mau_91;n9206471 said:
The timer is way to long in my opinion, you shouldnt have more than 15 seconds overall to play your turn, never understood people take a long time to play, and honestly its enraging.

lomvicmarko;n9206501 said:
Timer is fine, when match is good i really need that bit of extra time to do my turn.

rctboy95;n9206571 said:
It might not seem relevant in the current meta, since it's just rather easy tempo plays , but the timer seems fine to me. I've only had one roping game today and i'm pretty sure it was because of the bad connection the other guy had or something.
Timer is fine. I am not talking about using the time to the fullest. I am talking about deliberately not playing a card on your turn.

HenryGrosmont;n9206651 said:
Timer is fine. I am not talking about using the time to the fullest. I am talking about deliberately not playing a card on your turn.

Wait, are you talking about the mechanic that when you don't play a card, one is discarded at random from your hand? Because if you are, then that really has nothing to do with roping. Roping is just to way to get to discarding a random card.

If you aren't talking about that, then how can you tell the difference between players who wait the whole time on purpose and those that really need all the time to think about the best move?

Match chat would make it more acceptable if I get no reply on why person is roping then I can at least provoke and have some fun while waiting for timer lol

HenryGrosmont;n9206651 said:

Eventually the game will play a random card for you so i don't see why someone would do that unless they aren't there or just want to annoy the opponent ( for whatever reason ).

two patches ago when weather was still oppressive I was in a situation where my last card was scorch an the opponent already passed. the problem was that i just needed to get some more points from my ongoing weather to win the game but my scorch would hit my own unit since it was the highest one.

so the only way to win the match would be to not play scorch till the rope goes off to get some points off the enemy from the weather.

imo
as long as we can not choose to not play a card to make the round go on this kind of roping is a valid strategy

Lately I am meeting a bunch of those f#k%rs. It is really annoying and time wasting.

Or guys that I KNOW they have, like, Bloody Baron to play and wait for at least 30 seconds to do so or a 2 STR card and they are behind with like 20 points behind.

Or guys that "lose connection" just before they get obliterated.

No GG is ever given to such individuals.

I would give them BG and punish them with -5 something.

rctboy95;n9206791 said:
Eventually the game will play a random card for you so i don't see why someone would do that unless they aren't there or just want to annoy the opponent ( for whatever reason ).
That would be probably the best solution. That or pass.
Staluev;n9206871 said:
two patches ago when weather was still oppressive I was in a situation where my last card was scorch an the opponent already passed. the problem was that i just needed to get some more points from my ongoing weather to win the game but my scorch would hit my own unit since it was the highest one.

so the only way to win the match would be to not play scorch till the rope goes off to get some points off the enemy from the weather.

imo
as long as we can not choose to not play a card to make the round go on this kind of roping is a valid strategy
The game is: both players play a card on their turn or pass. There isn't an option to "skip".
If you decide to pass instead of playing your last card, it's fine. If you're roping just to skip your turn and be able to play after that in the same round, it's abusing a flaw in the game.
Also, Skellige can directly benefit form it twice. First by abusing, second by discarding. And given its res abilities, the faction could benefit from it three times.

BornBoring;n9207071 said:
The card should be banished instead of discarded in my opinion.
It's still gives you the "skip" option. There are several situations (like Borkh) when it's a game winner.

4RM3D;n9206681 said:
Wait, are you talking about the mechanic that when you don't play a card, one is discarded at random from your hand? Because if you are, then that really has nothing to do with roping. Roping is just to way to get to discarding a random card.

If you aren't talking about that, then how can you tell the difference between players who wait the whole time on purpose and those that really need all the time to think about the best move?

As far as I know, it's still called roping, in Gwent that is.
If you have a clearer description, please do us all a favor and change the title :cheers:

I can understand like a couple turns someone might take time to decide.
it's the jackholes that do it EVERY SINGLE TURN that gets me freaking out.
I've ran into plenty of them since open beta.
it's like they are testing your patience to just quit on them so they can take the win

Screw that.. gives me time to pack up and smoke up
calms me down and increases my strategy ..cuz then I do the exact same thing to them
it's comical really
but annoying af

Seems I wet off topic as well (puts bong away)

yes. The skellige discard is abuse by all means of the word and should adressed
like BornBoring said..simple fix is to banish the card

Last edited:
Top Bottom