What is CDPR's Stance on Discard Abuse by Letting the Timer Run Out?

+
General17491;n9267271 said:
Without that the game will lose depth IMO.

How does game lose depth if we have more options to consider when playing ? It can be offensive and defensively against these strong cards.
You might just auto resolve these situation when you don't have options. There huge enough downside of these cards already I don't see how
forcing players to hit them selves is adding depth when it just takes away options in deck building and in play.

lomvicmarko;n9269331 said:
How does game lose depth if we have more options to consider when playing ? It can be offensive and defensively against these strong cards.
You might just auto resolve these situation when you don't have options. There huge enough downside of these cards already I don't see how
forcing players to hit them selves is adding depth when it just takes away options in deck building and in play.

You don't have to play a card "to hit yourself". You can pass. :cheers::smiling2:

I don't think this is legit

So I was playing, took too much time thinking about wether should I pass or play another card, and eventually decided to pass, but there is only 3 seconds left on the timer so I didn't bother click on pass. (I thought that will be an auto pass anyway)

and then the game removed one of my card in my hard to graveyard.

I get that this is some sort of punishment to people used up their time, but this (banish a card from hand directly without playing) is a behavior players cannot do, and thus can lead to exploit.

what if some skellige player decide to pass this round and wait for the timer to banish his only card (skirmisher) to graveyard, and somehow resurrect it using leader/the card he get from last round?
(I know this case can be very rare, but still)

This timer banish is a unnecssary mechnic and it should be just auto-pass when the timer goes down

Guest 3945410

Take a moment to consider the consequences of that (passing if the timer runs out).

Lyserus;n9377481 said:
enlighten me....I probably forget something important..?
you more or less lose the round automatically which seems a harsh penalty if you just couldn't decide what to play and lost track of time.

Lyserus thread merged

CDPR announced that they will implement a feature that allows you to immediately discard a card. That leaves two questions unanswered: does it still synergize with Skellige discard and does letting the timer run out result in harsher punishment?

4RM3D;n9377711 said:
Lyserus thread merged

CDPR announced that they will implement a feature that allows you to immediately discard a card. That leaves two questions unanswered: does it still synergize with Skellige discard and does letting the timer run out result in harsher punishment?

thank you my man:cheers:

4RM3D;n9377711 said:
The card discarded should be banished. That would solve any abuses like GY res'ing and the like. It's a pretty simple solution to a very niche play. But hey, I've used the discard feature to win a game here and there. Sometimes a straight pass just isn't good enough.

As for the timer, it's already harsher. You ditch a RANDOM card.

But again, I reiterate that any cards discarded either via intentional selection or timer should be BANISHED.

arubino99;n9378221 said:
But again, I reiterate that any cards discarded either via intentional selection or timer should be BANISHED.
I could support that. However, the Captains still get buffed and ships are triggered. Maybe buff/trigger for discarded cards that enter the graveyard?

HenryGrosmont;n9378561 said:
I could support that. However, the Captains still get buffed and ships are triggered. Maybe buff/trigger for discarded cards that enter the graveyard?

Well, discarding a card (especially if it gets banished) would mean zero tempo aside from whatever triggers you get. Not huge.

Possible solution : If a player let the timer run out, a random card in his hand is greyed out (no discard, no banish, just unplayable). Then he gets 10 seconds again to play a card (not switching turn to the other player), random card is greyed out again if he doesn't play and so on until :
- he passes
- he plays a card
- he runs out of cards

Exoclyps;n9378601 said:
Well, discarding a card (especially if it gets banished) would mean zero tempo aside from whatever triggers you get. Not huge.
The problem isn't discarding itself. It's the ability to res. Skellige is the only faction atm that benefits from it at its fullest.
Makhil;n9379401 said:
Possible solution : If a player let the timer run out, a random card in his hand is greyed out (no discard, no banish, just unplayable). Then he gets 10 seconds again to play a card (not switching turn to the other player), random card is greyed out again if he doesn't play and so on until :
- he passes
- he plays a card
- he runs out of cards
Idk, I think there is something to this...

I skimmed through all of this and the only time this could maybe be an issue, or better yet a smart decision is when your last card in your hand is a clan an craite raider ,and your Cerys needs one more tic before she can res.

If they implemented the option to discard a card as a turn option it means they endorse some win conditions associated with it. How this works i guess we'll find out in the official stream tomorrow.

HenryGrosmont;n9378561 said:
What I meant by BANISHED is that it doesn't hit the GY at all. It's just BANISHED directly from the hand. It doesn't count as a "discard" in the traditional sense.

Therefore, you have absolutely zero interactivity with anything in play, your hand, or your deck. The card is simply gone, because that's the strategy you elect rather than passing or playing.

Sometimes People are AFK. I have to forfeit or pass and wait until all of his cards are discarded. I think the timer should only wait three turns, then forcing the afk guy to lose the game.

scorba;n9245271 said:
when your time runs out, you should be forced to automatically Pass.

that would solve a few issues.

Either that or play a random card (for when you disconnect for a second and can't play a card) . There's just so many problems with the way it's done now, as many of you mentioned before.

There's just too much of an exploit in it, more so for Skellige decks.

Banishing wouldn't solve the problem either, to be honest. There are those cases where you've done all you possibly could to play around someone's scorch and now you got them in a tough situation where he could scorch his own unity... And let's say you just passed, the game is tied, but you have an unity under weather effect, then the other person could just wait to get their Scorch discarded and winning because of weather. When actually the other person should just pass or play a card. That's the way Gwent works and that's the beauty in it. You can Check your opponent against the wall and leave them in a tough situation where he has to pass, because playing more cards would just hurt him more.

Come on, guys, that's a clear exploit and somewhat ridiculous. I used to see it as a legit strategy when I was just a newbie, but through my own experiences and from what I get now about the more deep Gwent mechanics and strategies, I don't see how this kind of play would fit with what Gwent represents.

Just to finish... Sometimes we see it as a cool strategy and improvise along with it. When you have just one card in hand, for example, and Cerys in your graveyard with counter 1. The opponent has done all he possibly could to not letting your Cerys come out to play this third round, BUT, the card in your hand happens to be a Clan An Craite Raider, so what would you do? Of course everyone here would just wait for the game to discard the Raider so we have 1 more resurrection to play both Raider and Cerys.

I think it's so unbelievably unfair with the other guys who did all he could to ensure you had no more cards to give you a discard effect or a resurrection, but we can have both effects now for just NOT playing a card. Come on, guys, it might be a fun situation for you when that happens but that's just not Gwent.

Yes, it's awkward that a couple of very specific decks managed to find roping a viable strategy under very specific circumstances. However what can you do about it? The timer needs to be there otherwise players will drag their turns for forever like going afk and whatnot forcing the other player to resign and lose rank points just because he wants to actually play the game. The discard needs to happen too since in Gwent in every turn you must either play a card or pass. If nothing happens once the timer runs out than you can actually gain card advantage by roping, which is even worse than discard. The alternative is to force a pass each time the timer runs out, which would be bad for the normal situations where players get roped(answering the door, important phone call, etc) as they'll get excessively punished in these situations, and discarding a card while playing nothing when you didn't intend to do it is punishing enough.

OwlRaider;n9389321 said:
Yes, it's awkward that a couple of very specific decks managed to find roping a viable strategy under very specific circumstances. However what can you do about it? The timer needs to be there otherwise players will drag their turns for forever like going afk and whatnot forcing the other player to resign and lose rank points just because he wants to actually play the game. The discard needs to happen too since in Gwent in every turn you must either play a card or pass. If nothing happens once the timer runs out than you can actually gain card advantage by roping, which is even worse than discard. The alternative is to force a pass each time the timer runs out, which would be bad for the normal situations where players get roped(answering the door, important phone call, etc) as they'll get excessively punished in these situations, and discarding a card while playing nothing when you didn't intend to do it is punishing enough.

The thing is it's not a punish sometimes, it's a gift if any, depending of the type of deck you play, like Skellige or Scorches as we stated.
We're not saying here to change a discard to a "nothing happens". It's just as simple as making the game play a random card from the hand of the player or even passing. It's like you said, you either play a card or pass. So the game should just as much make you play a random card or pass. IMHO that is.

We are here to see how the current mechanic could be (and is) exploited and what it could be replaced with. We are aware of the situations when people don't use it as an exploit and it just happens because "life, right?", but really... The exploits that can be played out of this mechanic right now are just embarrassing.

Top Bottom