Monster Faction Too Strong?

+
4RM3D;n9312621 said:
People think of all these nifty little tweaks, thinking it's easy to fix things. It's not.

Never said it's easy. I was suggesting. I also stated in my comment that this could be too much of a nerf. I know balancing is a hard task. We are on the same page about that.

4RM3D;n9312621 said:
This will only nerf Monster Consume, while the bigger issue is Dagon Swarm. That's why this nerf isn't the way to fix things. A nerf should also (somehow) affect the Swarm archetype. Furthermore, while it's consume interaction is illogical, it's no more weird than playing Geralt/Yen/Triss/Ciri/etc in a Monster deck. Ignoring the lore, let's look at consistency. If you say that a consumed egg shouldn't spawn a Harpy, I can agree with that, logically speaking. HOWEVER, that also means when an egg is destroyed, it should not spawn a Harpy either, for consistency sake. But if we go down this path, it might end up killing the card. And the Deathwish tag is there for a reason.

People think of all these nifty little tweaks, thinking it's easy to fix things. It's not.

Monster consume will be fine. A tweak to the bonus for being consumed on the eggs is fine. Celaeno is meant for consume archetypes. As it stands, the card dilutes monster decks as an auto include no matter what archetype you run, because who does not want guaranteed 9 strength bronze with effortless 6 strength carryover if not countered? No matter what, when you see a monster deck, Celaeno is guaranteed to be something you need to deal with. Spawning harpy should only happen if the egg survives the round. You should have some element of effort that needs to be made to earn it. Whether thats thunderbolts or boosts or whatever. If the egg is destroyed, no harpy.

This will lead to more use of the card in its consume archetype, with instant consume of one egg by a Vran Warrior, insead of being either free carryover or 6 point punishment current round for countering it.

At least the monster deck can be countered. The Nilfgard Movran/Cahir/Alchemist deck is taking the fun out of the game. Practically, all your cards become visible to the opponent. I hope the developers rebalance this.

Wallcrawler8878;n9316041 said:
Monster consume will be fine. A tweak to the bonus for being consumed on the eggs is fine. Celaeno is meant for consume archetypes. As it stands, the card dilutes monster decks as an auto include no matter what archetype you run, because who does not want guaranteed 9 strength bronze with effortless 6 strength carryover if not countered? No matter what, when you see a monster deck, Celaeno is guaranteed to be something you need to deal with. Spawning harpy should only happen if the egg survives the round. You should have some element of effort that needs to be made to earn it. Whether thats thunderbolts or boosts or whatever. If the egg is destroyed, no harpy.

This will lead to more use of the card in its consume archetype, with instant consume of one egg by a Vran Warrior, insead of being either free carryover or 6 point punishment current round for countering it.

Well, you really cannot deal with CHarpy right now, at least not in the sense of countering it. The only real counter is to lock eggs, which isn't realistic in most cases because every MS build runs 3 CHarpy, granting 6 eggs. The only lock unit able to actually fully counter one of these is Auckes. Dealing with CHarpy boils down to whether you want to see the 6 points off egg pops in the current round or the next. This is the main problem with the card, it has no downside. If you kill it, they get extra points. If you don't kill it, they get extra points. It would be fine if it didn't begin as a 5 and create +2 more per egg kill or +3 more per egg if you left it alone.

TBH, I think part of the issue is the design of DW. DW units are effectively resilient with more carry-over than the card itself (CHarpy), equal to it (Nekker) or slightly less (Earth Ele) if left on the board. If removed from the board they still get these extra points, just not as carry-over. Furthermore, when you add the synergy bonus of a standard Harpy you can get RNG punished for trying to prevent the carry-over. Kill CHarpy when an Earth Ele is up and, oh cool, more points magically appear because the spawned Harpy dropped on the right row. That could also be fine if Earth Ele didn't inexplicably get Quen for free. No, I'm not suggesting DW is broken... It's fine if it is only on limited units and the synergy with it is limited. Because, well, it's strong enough by itself.

I'd say the third issue is CHarpy dropping 3 units side by side for TBolt/IBoost abuse but that is more a problem because TBolt/IBoost are overtuned bronze cards.

Thought I'd revise this post - I made the deck, its not even optimized(Ge'El's), some of the common cards or silvers aren't the best but they're okay.
This deck has very little trouble in all departments, the only real way to get a bad hand is to totally get screwed by RNG or draw one of the cards i'm playing but probably shouldn't.

Harpy's in general are too strong. The fact that its 11 strength for a common, it has carry over, and the harpy's deathwish can interact with other deathwish units makes this card OP. The only way this card has a real drawback is if you draw it in the last round, and its like your last card of you have no way to trigger the deathwish effect on the eggs. I can end many games on the second round, so it never gets there.

It should not be 11 strength, and the harpys that spawn should probably not have deathwish trigger either. The egg double strengthing(Katakan eating an egg goes from 3 to 9) also buffs it for too much.

I'm playing games where I feel like i'm going to lose but don't because of how stupidly strong dagon swarm is. Also getting gg'd consistnetly less, and don't blame them.

Last edited:
tortugueta;n9308411 said:
Oh, so you want to copy & paste the deck from that video because that is somehow less dishonourable than those other pesky copy & pasted decks from the Internets?
Wow, upset much (inb4 "nah I'm not at all"). I made a deck suggestion to a fellow SK player who asked how to counter monsters with the SK faction. I don't see you answering the topic creator's question; no suggestions from you but certainly insults. You must be a monster player who is upset at the talk of nerfing monsters and them being too strong.

BTW, the link I provided was to a deck that isn't used too much by Skellige; you hardly see Vabjorn at all. The axemen are also used less than the queensguard. If you are so bothered by that, maybe you should stop visiting Gwent forums when discussions about counters and decks are discussed. "Dishonourable?" Rofl. Are we medieval knights or samurai? It's a card game man.

I've only really played the single player challenges so far but the monster faction does seem to have some very powerful boosts. A lot of games the first move is a card that is boosted by two other cards to 20. Thats pretty much round over for the use of a single card, and if you have had to go first, then you've lost the round and a card.
Then they are producing monsters that are coming on the board with double digit strength. 14 I think is the highest i've seen on one card straight from the deck.
Their leader traits are string as well. A gold card that can boost its strength by the strength of 3 other cards, ok they are consumed but it makes that card untouchable and strength 30 to 50 a lot of the time. Or, you get fog, card spawns and damage from those cards from another leader. So thats something like an 12-18 point swing in their favour from a single card.

They are not unbeatable, but flippin eck. I dont half lose by some huge margins against these guys. I had them scoring over 70 points a around. I dont think a huge nerf is necessary, but perhaps some twaeking still required. Couldnt say where or how, have not put that sort of effort in,

Also, what are the faction rules? I cant find them anywhere and wanted to know how the monster faction rule works for keeping a card from the previous round on the board. I often get to the final round and find them 14 points up automtically. I've never seen that happen when I play monsters.

Last edited:
I already wrote about this on other topic, but that was before this shaitstorm you did now, a month or don't know how long ago.
The last time when you nerfed the weather carrds I consoled myself with a fact that I can't win every fkn game, and that another decks have to get their turn.

But I was bout 2 months without the net cause of work, and now when I came back, what did I find?
I just played 7 games in a row with my monster deck and lost every one of them, to players with much lower skill than me.

I suck, you say? Maybe, but how did I than get to the rank level 14 in a week, and after that win became almost impossible?

The only way to win is if I play gainst very lousy monster deck owner, or if I get every card that meats the opponent's card without even one glitch. I don't care, I'm not an egomaniac that needs to be even a 50 percent games winner, but you will accept it on your valets, believe you to me.

Congrats devs, you killed the monster deck COMPLETELY, I alone already know 2 guys that just stopped playing on their PS4, and shait hit the fan only recently.

I don't care, I'll play ahead, cause I enjoy playing the game, even when I lose (to some degree), but not everyone will just switch to NA, scoiatel or nilgaard cause of your bribes. Neither will I, I'll rather lose than play overpowered shait so I can be a "winner".

All the luck to you that concede to this seal clubb9ng of monster decks, and get to the first place as I'm concerned, I just do not care.

The_def_star;n9218061 said:
I have made it to rank 16 and now I'm seeing a lot of Monster decks which is fine. But man I can't seem to figure out how to counter these decks. I play as discard Skellige but it seems like a lot of Monster decks just blast you with weather and spells. They have planty of weather cards and units that spawn weather that I can't ever get rid of it. If it's not that it's a monster deck that use foglets, C Harpys and Earth Elementals and buff the crap out of them. Monsters are very versatile and have lots of great synergy at their disposal. Are they too strong? How do I counter them as Skellige?

a_page06;n9218571 said:
The faction has been overpowered for a long time, and there are a few small changes that would escalate many decks up to its level. Beyond that the only thing that really worries me about it is how boring it is to play against over and over. I see monsters in a large majority of my games, and its just boring. Couple that with the fact that a good deal of the emote spammers are Imlerith avatar monster players, and it just makes the game stale watching the same plays over and over with the guy saying "Argh!" when he gets countered or "Something amiss?" when I take more than a few seconds to think. I understand that my deck is not as telegraphed as yours, but spamming emotes at me is just obnoxious.

Consume monster are pretty OP. the problem lies on harpy and nekkers. the harpy egg should not able to spawn 1 STR harpy when consumed but if it on the board until enemy pass give it resilient and spawn an 1 STR harpy from it and nekkers base power should change to 1, because it effect only depend on STR boost not it base power and it can spawn another nekker in next run. Or make nekker ability only work when it on the board. if they make this change they will considering using unseen elder as their leader to boost their nekkers.

julioc2009;n9218701 said:
Monsters?
Eredin is too weak in this patch.
Impossible win whit deck Eredin

you never combine it with iris I think. The old weather deck effect (weakend all unit on the board to 1 power) is to weak because they cant fight aginst NR golds but now gold change to vulnerable.

Aetoimene

The game is still in beta. This means big changes can be expected. Before a patch a certain deck can be very strong. Then after the patch, that deck no longer works with the same cards. So:

cb3.jpg

You can't keep using the same tactics anyway. Try out new factions/decks/combos. Having said all that, I have used a Wild Hunt Frost deck and a Dagon Weather deck recently and both worked great. Not rank 20 competitive great, but good enough to climb the ladder or just to play casual and chill. If you want I can give you some suggestions on how to improve your Monster deck.

The_def_star;n9218061 said:
I have made it to rank 16 and now I'm seeing a lot of Monster decks which is fine. But man I can't seem to figure out how to counter these decks. I play as discard Skellige but it seems like a lot of Monster decks just blast you with weather and spells. They have planty of weather cards and units that spawn weather that I can't ever get rid of it. If it's not that it's a monster deck that use foglets, C Harpys and Earth Elementals and buff the crap out of them. Monsters are very versatile and have lots of great synergy at their disposal. Are they too strong? How do I counter them as Skellige?

There not strong, just unfair, annoying and unbalanced.

Harpyes and Woodland spirit is OP, no doubt. They should hotfix it, every 2nd game i see 1st turn 24 point play+weather, then repeat this in round 3, how its balanced?

ZenaRose;n9673171 said:
Harpyes and Woodland spirit is OP, no doubt. They should hotfix it, every 2nd game i see 1st turn 24 point play+weather, then repeat this in round 3, how its balanced?

In general, I'm not a fan of any card that gives you 20+ power in one turn too easily and all factions have access to cards like that.

Anyhow, in case of Woodland S. removing the "Beast" tag from the small units that are spawned should be the easiest way to fix it.

I'm curious to see what will change at the start of the next season.

devivre;n9673201 said:
In general, I'm not a fan of any card that gives you 20+ power in one turn too easily and all factions have access to cards like that.

Anyhow, in case of Woodland S. removing the "Beast" tag from the small units that are spawned should be the easiest way to fix it.

I'm curious to see what will change at the start of the next season.

It's a powerful play but it's also a risk having those Harpys and Foglets & also Roach in your deck (especially when it's not a given that you will get WS in your hand). I don't think that they should remove the beast tag from the wolves, maybe perhaps spawn one less wolf and make Woodland Spirit 6 strength.

^Agree. If some unit is a beast it should definetely keep the beast tag. Otherwise this whole tag thing would be inconsistent. (One) less wolve(s) could bring more balance.

The game is now full of new players able to use PRO players decks without the grind that others had to endure for the previous months. Such is life when you play online. It's always like this and i've been gaming for 25 years.
it really takes the joy of the game out of it for me when you get online becasue there as so many unpleasant people playing video games. Dayz ex player here. I think i'm done now with gwent in it's current state. Sick of losing to level 18 rank 14 players.

It was fun for about a month then I just lose too much. I'm not a great player tbh...

Last edited by a moderator:
Aetoimene;n9671581 said:
I already wrote about this on other topic, but that was before this shaitstorm you did now, a month or don't know how long ago.
The last time when you nerfed the weather carrds I consoled myself with a fact that I can't win every fkn game, and that another decks have to get their turn.

But I was bout 2 months without the net cause of work, and now when I came back, what did I find?
I just played 7 games in a row with my monster deck and lost every one of them, to players with much lower skill than me.

I suck, you say? Maybe, but how did I than get to the rank level 14 in a week, and after that win became almost impossible?

The only way to win is if I play gainst very lousy monster deck owner, or if I get every card that meats the opponent's card without even one glitch. I don't care, I'm not an egomaniac that needs to be even a 50 percent games winner, but you will accept it on your valets, believe you to me.

Congrats devs, you killed the monster deck COMPLETELY, I alone already know 2 guys that just stopped playing on their PS4, and shait hit the fan only recently.

I don't care, I'll play ahead, cause I enjoy playing the game, even when I lose (to some degree), but not everyone will just switch to NA, scoiatel or nilgaard cause of your bribes. Neither will I, I'll rather lose than play overpowered shait so I can be a "winner".

All the luck to you that concede to this seal clubb9ng of monster decks, and get to the first place as I'm concerned, I just do not care.

despite popular belief that new players have every card without grinding, well not much has changed and I think a lot of newer players that hopped in when it came out of closed beta are still working on a collection so yes give everyone a month to build a card collection and the game will become harder. Also where you say you didn't play for a month or two well so many cards have changed in that time and it'll take time to adjust, I still sometimes forget cards have been changed when I see them and I think well how did that happen.

This thread is a bit of a necro. I don't personally feel that monsters are crazy OP at the moment. The change to clear skies was definitely a step in the right direction towards balancing weather decks. I don't think anyone is complaining about the non-weather monster decks.

Top Bottom