Monster Faction Too Strong?

+
Just played again 6-7 losses with no exception. So I repeat - sorry for keeping it real.

I'm looking forward to your next "pates"

Last edited:
I'm a 4k+ player and come across lots of Monsters players. I would say that Monsters are right about where they should be in terms of Dagon/Eredin, Unseen Elder's consume archetype needs a bit of help. With a few tweaks, chiefly nerfing Woodland Spirit's 20+ point swing, you could see the power level of monsters even out a bit.

Consume decks need the nerf. Wild Hunt and Dagon imo need a lot of help. Sure we have Nekker Warriors, but they aren't exactly viable. But the whole way I counter consume decks is not letting them having carry over. Harpie eggs, I pop them so they end up being in the first round, Ekimarra pop it for no resilence, the Earth Element also pop it so there is no carry over next round. I play monsters and I find the Dagon variation of the deck the weakest, with Eredin being the second best, and Unseen Leader as ridiculous.

TheRedWatcher;n9687461 said:
I play monsters and I find the Dagon variation of the deck the weakest, with Eredin being the second best, and Unseen Leader as ridiculous.

Which is ironic because, in terms of power and popularity, it's the other way around.

4RM3D;n9687881 said:
Which is ironic because, in terms of power and popularity, it's the other way around.

I find Dagon and the Foglet a weak combo. It can only pull 1 Foglet And neither of the Foglets are boosted with other Foglets, they are cleared with clear weather, and while they res from the grave it's just 1 Fog. You may add Nekker Warrior, but Fog only summons 1 Foglet. Which I find a rather ridiculous nerf when;

Northern Realms plays Poor Fucking Infantry [where did the fucking part go in their name] poor fucking infantry plays more poor fucking infantry, and then and then they use reaver scout. That's like 3 to 6 spawns right off the bat.

And you're telling me we can only have 1 Foglet at level 4. Personally I think Ancient Foglet should;

Deploy; Increase all Foglets power by 1 or something like copy 1 foglet on the board and play another from your deck.

and then also increase its own power level if Fog is on the field. There just has to be something to make Comboing Fog worthwhile. Elsewise people are just going to drop consume into every deck.

I run a pure Wild Hunt deck, mainly because I like themes. And I find both a Fog Combo Dagon Deck with little to no consume, impossible to use. and pure Wild Hunt deck with no consume cards also impossible to use sometimes.

Consume is the better Monster deck. I just refuse to use Consume because everyone uses Consume. And one of the reasons I have 70 wins with my Dagon and Eredin deck is because I do not run consume, because I didn't want to use the same strategy as everyone else.

Right now that is the biggest issue with the open beta. Not enough cards for variety. I do not want a deck like everyone else and feel the unfavorable combos should be supported. The issue I have with threads like "Monster Faction Too Strong" is while I agree.

I lose to Unseen Elder , even with my Dagon deck, all the time. I see "Consume Monster Faction Too Strong". But find the other Monster decks lacking. So when people lump all monsters together it nerfs barely able to use combos even further down. Making them unfavorable.

For example that has happened with Northern Realms. I am playing a Casual Deck, rather then rank, Radovid lock deck with Witch Hunters and Reavers, and nothing but mages and refused to use the soldiers because I found it more interesting. And really trips people up because it doesn't play like a traditional Northern Realms deck.

TheRedWatcher;n9687961 said:
Consume is the better Monster deck. I just refuse to use Consume because everyone uses Consume. And one of the reasons I have 70 wins with my Dagon and Eredin deck is because I do not run consume, because I didn't want to use the same strategy as everyone else.

Consume is the better monster deck? I haven't seen Unseen Elder a long time on rank 19. I see a lot of Dagon and there are some decent Wild Hunt builds which can be strong if their strategy pulls off. Pure consume builds are not that strong at the moment I think. Not bad, but not as strong as weather I would say. When I see a consume deck it is a hybrid and even they often run Dagon as leader.

TheRedWatcher

I haven't seen Unseen Elder at all since the latest patch except once. At the start of the patch it was mostly Dagon Consume, which I've tried but found it to be way too inconsistent with annoying mulligans. Eredin Frost I see every now and then. While that deck is good at control, it lacks tempo. It does okay against certain match-ups and does poorly against others. Dagon Swarm seems to be the new de facto for Monsters because it can do everything: tempo, carry-over and control, even though it's still a bit inconsistent. Mind you, I am talking about my experiences in rank 19+. Maybe it's completely different in the lower ranks.

The Unseen Elder is trash since the gold immunity update. Deathwish archetype isn't viable atm(which is a shame, because it looks quite interesting). The only thing which makes monsters top tier is the woodlandspirit-harpies interaction, which offers insane tempo.

Monsters as a faction is not OP at the moment. The latest statistics show that all leader has almost similar winnrate percentages ( with a variance of 1-2%) except king bran with a 56 % winnrate ( 5-6 % higher then the 2nd best)
the only OP combo in monsters is woodland spirit round 1 + Renew on woodland followed by yennefer in round 3.

4RM3D;n9688171 said:
TheRedWatcher

I haven't seen Unseen Elder at all since the latest patch except once. At the start of the patch it was mostly Dagon Consume, which I've tried but found it to be way too inconsistent with annoying mulligans. Eredin Frost I see every now and then. While that deck is good at control, it lacks tempo. It does okay against certain match-ups and does poorly against others. Dagon Swarm seems to be the new de facto for Monsters because it can do everything: tempo, carry-over and control, even though it's still a bit inconsistent. Mind you, I am talking about my experiences in rank 19+. Maybe it's completely different in the lower ranks.

Rank 12 and I see Unseen Elder here and there. But Dagon consume is more viable, BUT. I don't think it's the leader that's Op. I think the Consume archetype is strong and only viable archetype. Deathwish isn't viable right now. And just frost Eredin while it works, lacks a lot of synergy ironically with its own cards. Eredin consume and harpy works more than his own damn cards.

Michelazz;n9688241 said:
Monsters as a faction is not OP at the moment. The latest statistics show that all leader has almost similar winnrate percentages ( with a variance of 1-2%) except king bran with a 56 % winnrate ( 5-6 % higher then the 2nd best)
the only OP combo in monsters is woodland spirit round 1 + Renew on woodland followed by yennefer in round 3.

While that combo can be frustrating to play against, it is in no way OP simply because of how draw dependent it is. Like other decks that rely on deck thinning, you need to mulligan a good chunk of your deck to be effective and a bad starting hand can lose you the game before it even starts. It's just not consistent enough to be considered OP and if it was, it would have been reflected in the stats.

In last 2 days I played 30 or so games with my monster deck (I have every card).
Not once I encountered another monster deck player.

Not once.

It may be cause of your "brilliant" duel with skellige and NR, but as I can see it, noone plays monsters anymore.

p.s.

In that 30 or so games I won 2.

Thank you, all the best.

Aetoimene;n9962151 said:
In last 2 days I played 30 or so games with my monster deck (I have every card).
Not once I encountered another monster deck player.

Not once.

It may be cause of your "brilliant" duel with skellige and NR, but as I can see it, noone plays monsters anymore.

p.s.

In that 30 or so games I won 2.

Thank you, all the best.

So what is exactly the problem? your losing streak or not enough mirror matches?
What archetype do you even play?

Top Bottom