How many female players out there?

+
How many female players out there?

I'm curious. From my experience with CCGs such as Magic, I find it is largely men who play. In the case of Gwent I wonder what percentage of women play, and what got them into the game. I know my own girlfriend has absolutely no interest in Gwent though she occasionally plays other PS4 games. It just seems like CCGs in general are very niche. I know Hearthstone has made some ground with casuals, but I dont personally know any women who play it, let alone Gwent. So for all the female Gwent players out there, what's up?

I suspect there are lots of women, like myself, who play gwent based on the popularity of the Witcher 3 game. I've always assumed it's mostly women who pick the female avatars (though of course not exclusively), and there's a good representation of those. Also, there's a good female streamer named Jaggerous.

Of course, it would be helpful if TPTB picked at least one woman to host during the tournaments instead of three or four of the same guys, but likely they're not particularly concerned about the female audience.

tmelange;n9250551 said:
Of course, it would be helpful if TPTB picked at least one woman to host during the tournaments instead of three or four of the same guys, but likely they're not particularly concerned about the female audience.

Do they need to treat female audience differently ? Adding girls that have no clue what they are talking about is just catering to male audience and ruins synergy between hosts.It is numbers game after all how do you find these girls that know the game and love it with passion. Plus they have to be really good talker. I'm pretty sure they are out there but holy shit it is just easier to pick dudes that already do so much for community and these potential host might already know each other so synergy is there.

lomvicmarko;n9250621 said:
Do they need to treat female audience differently ? Adding girls that have no clue what they are talking about is just catering to male audience and ruins synergy between hosts.It is numbers game after all how do you find these girls that know the game and love it with passion. Plus they have to be really good talker. I'm pretty sure they are out there but holy shit it is just easier to pick dudes that already do so much for community and these potential host might already know each other so synergy is there.

They don't need to treat anyone differently. However, as an entertainment company, it's likely they want to build up segments of their audience. Whether it's expanding the audience for the game in China (location-based audience building) or encouraging younger players (age-based segmenting) or implementing ways for the promotional activities to appeal to girls (gender-based), it's all what they would likely want to do to ensure the profitability of the game. No one is asking them to do anything to add anyone (including women) who have "no clue what they are talking about." Obviously, anyone involved would need to be knowledgeable. It's interesting that you equate a comment on diversifying to build audience as a request for the inclusion of people w/o qualifications.

lomvicmarko;n9250621 said:
Adding girls that have no clue what they are talking about is just catering to male audience and ruins synergy between hosts.

I don't think the suggestion was to feature female hosts who know nothing about the game...

I think showing more females playing would be good for the game. It would attract a larger audience, and more people would take up the game. That is good for all players, and definitely good for CDPR. They'd be more inclined to update and expand the game the more money they make.

Just out of interest, how do we know that the game isn't popular with women? Sure there aren't many women on this message board but that's not entirely surprising even if there was a 50-50 ratio of men to women playing the game.

I agree with tmelange completely,

I can't see any issue with some women in their bikinis hosting the tournaments ...

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
H0m3wr3ck3r;n9251751 said:
I can't see any issue with some women in their bikinis hosting the tournaments ...

Anyhow, this practice is common for a lot of different kind of events. But the question remains, do you really want to go down this road?

Since Geralt is so good looking many females played Witcher games and now Gwent :pride2:including me.

tmelange;n9250551 said:
I've always assumed it's mostly women who pick the female avatars (though of course not exclusively)

When it's Yennefer or Triss I always assume those are mostly males showcasing their romantic preference of the Witcher 3, rather than actual females identifying with said avatar. But who knows?

Well, I love Witcher series and I loved Gwent in W3. So, of course, I play this Gwent game too. And I do enjoy playing it.

PS: Never trust the avatars. I have been called sir/dude/bro countless amount of times.

PPS: My other Gwent account uses Geralt avatar and another uses Triss avatar. Just in case if someone was interested. It doesn't tell much in there either.

Last edited:
Rayquorz;n9252161 said:
When it's Yennefer or Triss I always assume those are mostly males showcasing their romantic preference of the Witcher 3, rather than actual females identifying with said avatar. But who knows?

I tend to rotate through the avatars whenever I get bored with hearing the same lines all the time. If others are doing the same then the avatar is very little indication of who is playing.

If they did something, I don't know what, to treat more to the female audience, I wouldn't complain.
I don't need any fem friends from gaming, that's kinda' desperate, but women are generally uninterested in games, so it would be nice :D

Graephen;n9252901 said:
but women are generally uninterested in games, so it would be nice :D

Where do you get that from? Actually, recent studies have shown that the majority of gamers by now are women.

MirotheDragon;n9253141 said:
Where do you get that from? Actually, recent studies have shown that the majority of gamers by now are women.

Yeah and majority of motosport fans are women as well and soon they will be majority as drivers :victory:

The study you have in mind defines as a gamer anyone who has played any game, including candy crush on their phone, at least once in the past six months.
Majority of people who are more involved in gaming, is male. Even more in case of competitive games, I guess.

OK, then maybe the scope of the study is too broad. But to say that women are generally not interested in gaming is simply wrong.

MirotheDragon;n9253141 said:

I'm glad the click-bait conclusion of the article sticked with you, but did you also read the actual article?
“hardcore” gaming is clearly still rooted in its traditional user base (playing games is considered the most entertaining media amongst males aged 16-24)

Top Bottom