Regarding the lore

+
Regarding the lore

Hey guys so I'm a big fan of Gwent and sadly have just played Witcher 3, but I'm very intrigued by the characters appearing on Gwent specially their lore, I'm pretty certain they vary between different times and I imagine most of them appear on Witcher games, I've read some of the short stories of the original author but can't seem to find many similarities, I know most of the monsters and skellige deck can be found on the third game, but rarely see anything related to nilfgard or scoiatel, which are my main points of interest ( I'm guessing they make an appearance on assassin of kings), I would like to see your points of views and get into more of this interesting subject!

many of the characters do appear in the games, but if you are really interested about the characters and lore in general i strongly recommend to read the book saga. the short stories are just a foreplay, hahah.

Thanks Maso, what do you recommend to start on considering I'm almost done with the stories? Would be better to follow a certain order. Thanks!

there are 8 books. First 2 books are collection of short stories about Geralt. As been said it's a foreplay. After that there are 5 books about Ciri ( Geralt is still MC but it's all about Ciri ). And then theres a 1 book about Geralt's early days. It's like short stories except it's not short.

The right order.

Sword of Destiny
The Last Wish

Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of Swallow
Lady of the Lake

Season of Storms

Thiugh i dont know if all books are translated in english.

Read em in original and russian.

P.S. You just cant appreciate the games, especially the 3rd game without reading the books. Without knowing who Yen is, what shes like, whats their story, etc. Let alone Ciri. Ciri is just so much much more than the game tells you ( adopted daughter ). Geralt wouldve slaughter the whole world for Ciri but you need to read books to know why.

Woah, ok ok, i stop, i just have....fooook,...stop.:affection:

Last edited:
Mau_91;n9266641 said:
Thanks Maso, what do you recommend to start on considering I'm almost done with the stories? Would be better to follow a certain order. Thanks!
nunqmuo beat me to it.

Also, some short stories are a part of the big one, imo. Enjoy them as much as we did. I've read it in a few languages and, unfortunately, the English version is lacking the wordplay of the original or Russian translation. Still, a great read.

Last edited:
HenryGrosmont;n9266991 said:
the English version is lacking the wordplay of the original or Russian translation.

This. +1.

And not only the wordplay but there are literally dozens if not hundreds of words that simply dont exist in english or at the very best have very approximate meaning.

Last edited:
nunqmuo;n9266971 said:
there are 8 books. First 2 books are collection of short stories about Geralt. As been said it's a foreplay. After that there are 5 books about Ciri ( Geralt is still MC but it's all about Ciri ). And then theres a 1 book about Geralt's early days. It's like short stories except it's not short.

The right order.

Sword of Destiny
The Last Wish

Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of Swallow
Lady of the Lake

Season of Storms

Thiugh i dont know if all books are translated in english.

Read em in original and russian.

P.S. You just cant appreciate the games, especially the 3rd game without reading the books. Without knowing who Yen is, what shes like, whats their story, etc. Let alone Ciri. Ciri is just so much much more than the game tells you ( adopted daughter ). Geralt wouldve slaughter the whole world for Ciri but you need to read books to know why.

Woah, ok ok, i stop, i just have....fooook,...stop.:affection:

Very good post, nothing to add, really. Just read the books, it's worth it.
I'm currently reading the Time of Contempt.

Very nice thanks a lot guys! I enjoy reading the short description in the cards and picturing the story. Also, where does Nilfgaard makes a big appearance?
Since, for example, during a quest in Witcher 3, in the secret room of a dwarf's house there are "trophies" like the head of Joachim de Wett, etc
So I'm not sure how the timelines play a part here, but I still would be interest in knowing a bit more about the Nilfgaardian conquest and maybe the Scoia'tael union or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mau_91

I've edited your post. First of all, there are spoiler-tags you can use for spoilers. And because I had to edit your post anyway, I've also corrected the faction names. It's called Nilfgaard (not Nilfgard) and it's called Scoia'tael (not Scoiatel). Don't get me wrong, I am not the grammar police. I would not have bothered if not for the spoiler-tag addition.

Thanks for the Intel 4M, and yeah sorry about that I type on my mobile and take about 3 times longer lol so I let those mistakes slide

Guest 4021160

If you read witcher saga, I like you. If you read it twice, I will consider you my friend. If you read it thrice, lets meet for a coffee. If you read it four times like me. Lets get married.
For those out there who read it four times, but JUST happens to be into ladies I know one who has a tattoo of a rose on her inner thigh and a replica of zireael. PM

Don't PM i'm joking.

P.S. Also nunqmuo my man/woman. I will forever respect you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Karolis.petrikas;n9269481 said:
If you read witcher saga, I like you. If you read it twice, I will consider you my friend. If you read it thrice, lets meet for a coffee. If you read it four times like me. Lets get married.
For those out there who read it four times, but JUST happens to be into ladies I know one who has a tattoo of a rose on her inner thigh and a replica of zireael. PM

Don't PM i'm joking.

P.S. Also nunqmuo my man/woman. I will forever respect you.

:cheers:

P.S. And what about someone who have read all books 11 times (except the last one ( 4 times )?

P.P.S. Been the fan of the universe since 2006.

Last edited:

Guest 4021160

nunqmuo;n9269941 said:
P.S. What about someone who read all books 11 times (except the last one ( 4 times )?

P.P.S. Been the fan of the universe since 2006.

That is almost on edge of insanity. Bro, I hope you're not running the streets swinging a silver sword...

I want to read it in russian as I've heard it's a truly great translation.

Karolis.petrikas;n9269981 said:
That is almost on edge of insanity. Bro, I hope you're not running the streets swinging a silver sword...

I want to read it in russian as I've heard it's a truly great translation.

Haha. Nope. Im a fan. Not an obsessed worshipper.

Russian translation can be called the second original 'cause it was made by a very close friend of the Sapkowski. Theyve been working together on the translation. Some may argue that the russian translation is actually better than the original. I truly feel for people who cant read the books in polish or russian. English is a lackluster compare to russian. No offense intended.

Last edited:
I think that Sapkowski's Witcher series are the best in fantasy. Yes, better than Song of Ice and Fire... Even if it has all the attributes of the King Arthur legend, it's still better.

Guest 4021160

HenryGrosmont;n9270211 said:
I think that Sapkowski's Witcher series are the best in fantasy. Yes, better than Song of Ice and Fire... Even if it has all the attributes of the King Arthur legend, it's still better.

Songs of Ice and Fire is a dumpster worm in comparison. Hate me now.

Karolis.petrikas;n9270981 said:
Songs of Ice and Fire is a dumpster worm in comparison. Hate me now.
No, it is not. It's very well written and has an original story. Which isn't he case with Witcher.

Im not biased. Yes im a huge fan of the Withcer universe. Books in particular but i dont think that it's the best fantasy. It have a lot of cliches and a lot of plot lines are based on folk tales. Especially the first two books. But i love it for different reasons. It kinda clicked with me on the personal level and it's part of me kinda. I know that sounds weird. So im not even trying to compare it to other books. There is the Witcher and there is everything else.

In terms of actual quality of content in my opinion the best dark fantasy is the Malazan Saga. ASOIAF is a joke compare to it.

Top Bottom