Gold Units can now be Targeted by Spells and Effects

+
I think they are listening to feedback and try to shake things around to resolve the issues.

They are still working on creating the foundation of the game it seems.

All said, welcome back Letho to my deck xD

This indeed feels like overkill to golds. Our trusted and strong friends. I never saw a problem with gold cards and we could only have 4 in a deck, so this is a bit hard to understand. If there was one thing in Gwent that I never would have thought to change, it was this.

However, there must be a very good reason for this. So we'll see how things are going to work out in the future. Who knows, eventually we may even like it?

I guess it's almost going to be a buff to every other non-gold unit though because everyone is going to save their removal for when the gold's appear, so I can still see some pretty cool tactics early on while each side is setting up their bronze and silvers on the board. If you panic and use removal too early then you'll be punished.

KatieM95;n9353701 said:
I guess it's almost going to be a buff to every other non-gold unit though because everyone is going to save their removal for when the gold's appear, so I can still see some pretty cool tactics early on while each side is setting up their bronze and silvers on the board. If you panic and use removal too early then you'll be punished.

Or decks like scoi'aspell will become meta again.

Dunno, only advantage golds really gave me against ST was vs Skellige Storm and end game scorch frenzy. Not sure this change alone will buff them enough to be competive.

I don't know how to feel about that either.
I don't like the general idea, let's be honest here, I really like the fact that Gold were kind of a safe play because they're gold basically but maybe I'll change my mind, that's something we never tried so it's hard to give a final opinion just yet.

The only big issue imo is about the ballance of the cards, cards with a relevant deploy ability are going to be king (Igni, Coral, Ermion...) and cards that needs to be played early (like Wild boar of the sea, Vabjorn, Triss butt...) are going to be dead.

The biggest issue with that being, imo the most interesting cards to play with are the latest, so virtualy removing them from the game is not something I'm not a fan of...

And if it's confirmed that they can be hit by lock, RIP Cerys, like, Queensguard didn't have much target for lock before, this time is over and now lock is a premium effect against this deck.

Last edited:
Hmmm, on the whole I personally believe the devs have made good design decisions as we've gone through the various betas (weather nerfs, inter-round mulligans, etc) but I'm not convinced by this change at all, and judging by most of the other posts I've seen I'm not alone.

Golds will just be more expensive silver cards unless they have other tricks up their sleeves that we haven't heard about yet but I'm struggling to imagine what they could be,

Obviously we have to wait and see but for once I'm slightly nervous about a proposed change, would be even worse if they realise it's a mistake and revert AGAIN to the 'safe' golds from CB.

As said before this would create a large gap between golds, the ones with a small body and an instant powerful effect, such as Gigni would be very good, while other may need a redesign.

Also my greatest concern would be the direction the game is going, the devs want more interactivity which is fine but i fear it would succumb to a heavy control game based around removals. Synergy or combo cards, which imo are the most fun part of the game, would become unplayable. I think we have more than enough removal options atm, we don't need more.

I'd really hate to see games that end with R1: 15-9, R2: 0-6, R3: 8-5.
Seriously if you play a 100+ power deck but end up having less than 20 points over 3 rounds that could be a problem.

The feedback is so overwhelmingly bad that they have to change their intentions.

Which points to another thought: was this effect in place in the PTR? How was the feedback of the selected dozen players with access to it? Was it different than the the feedback of the rest of the community and thats why they went forward with it?

Last edited:
It kind of goes to show they really have no idea in which direction they want to take the game in. Hat's off to these guys, as it must be tough balancing this but they need to slow down.

With every new patch I feel we're gaining interactivity but losing so much of that tactical gameplay. Now you don't have to bait out those strong enemy cards. Just save a scorch.

Another issue is that Golds aren't that special anymore, so why should they cost 800 scrap to craft? They're just, in some cases SLIGHTLY, stronger silvers. I mean, a Nilfgaardian Knight is a 10 strength bronze with 2 armor. Geralt is a 13 (potentially 16) gold.

I hope they don't plan on doing this every time the meta becomes stale. Completely redesigning a game whenever things get boring isn't the right way to do it. You create a good core game, tweak it and keep things interesting by adding interesting new cards that open up new archetypes.

And i've very sorry to see that the game is really and intentionally moving away from the lore core mechanics. :'(

It's all about the "New Player Experience". You have Problems killing off Hjalmar and Tibor?

NO Problem. I mean you could just lock the Lord of Undvik but nah:

Just Scorch them, Igni them, Artifact Compression them.

You don't have that much Golds and you don't want to grind/pay money like the other guys who played the game much longer than you?

NO Problem. Now some Golds are just slightly better Silvers and some other Golds are just plain bad. No Need to transmute your Golds and make them Shiny cause they won't be on the board for long anyway.

Compare the new Nithral with Triss...It's a joke.

Just make your Thunders Shiny i guess.

You might notice i am not a big fan of this announcement.

Make Golds targetable only by other Golds.

That was the best System we had in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Soverein;n9355331 said:
It's all about the "New Player Experience".

I believe this is correct. Most major changes so far seem to reflect this. They're not doing it to balance the game better, they're not doing it to create a better competitive game. They're doing it so that casual players can easily get into Gwent and enjoy it.

I consider myself a casual Gwent player. But as a hardcore (hate the term but don't know what else to use) gamer I don't want the game to play itself.

Snake_Foxhounder;n9355431 said:
I believe this is correct. Most major changes so far seem to reflect this. They're not doing it to balance the game better, they're not doing it to create a better competitive game. They're doing it so that casual players can easily get into Gwent and enjoy it.

I consider myself a casual Gwent player. But as a hardcore (hate the term but don't know what else to use) gamer I don't want the game to play itself.

If its really about "New Player Experience" maybe a better solution would be opening another ladder (third one) for players that finished this season under rank 10. This ofcourse is not a perfect solution but better then such a drastic change for everyone. I for one think that its less about "new player experience" and more about breaking the current meta situation that 20 card addition alone woudlnt be able to change much. If my assumption is correct I'm afraid that such drastic changes await us every season or 2 thus making the entire gameplay unstable along with the meta.

Rammyp;n9355581 said:
If its really about "New Player Experience" maybe a better solution would be opening another ladder (third one) for players that finished this season under rank 10. This ofcourse is not a perfect solution but better then such a drastic change for everyone. I for one think that its less about "new player experience" and more about breaking the current meta situation that 20 card addition alone woudlnt be able to change much. If my assumption is correct I'm afraid that such drastic changes await us every season or 2 thus making the entire gameplay unstable along with the meta.

Could be a combination of both.

The Flaw here:

A huge part of a Cardgame is Collecting new Cards.

What's the point in Collecting then?

Basically you have to scrap your Cards every season cause CDPR wants to shake up the meta.

The minimalistic guys will just Switch from one Metadeck to another via scrapping.

Like you said it creates an unstable gameplay experience. There is no Consistency and most Human beings like Consistency in all aspects of life.

I am afraid the new Meta will be a massive "Pingfest".

Whenever i will open a "Gold Keg" the next couple of weeks my thoughts will shift from:

"Woa n1 i missed that for my Collection" to "Yeah Whatever..."

Golds can be resurrected..."decoyed" and so on...that means for example: renew must be reworked. What do you think?

Top Bottom