Gold Units can now be Targeted by Spells and Effects

+
Wanna know the best part? If this turns out to be very bad, and I'm not saying it is...yet, we'll have to wait for months for a patch. :)

GenLiu;n9403111 said:
The only thing that made me jump from my chair wasn't even Gold....And by the way, mark my words but Stammelford's tremors is going to be nerfed in the next patch. Is that just me or this card is ridiculous. I mean, it doesn't only triggers on your opponent's unit, you can literally convert your priestesses into golems...that's insane!

it just spawns one golem regardless of how many were killed.

Please stop screwing me over with each patch that is released CDPR

Okay first off let me just say i'm not just some random hater hating on the game or the company I've been a proud supporter of CDPR since the Witcher 1 released back in 2007 I still got my physical copy even and I love this company and all of it's games and the hard work they put into it,but Gwent....Okay first off I'm a university student and I barely have time to myself at all but whenever I do have time I try to play as much Gwent as possible, at first I loved how the game started I played whenever I could reached level 10 finally after a long time build a nice deck then the game got a patch and it wen't into open beta I lost my level,my deck that I worked so hard to get and everything else and had to start over from level 1 with nothing but a Geralt...and I was dissapointed by this because time is a huge issue for me and I just lost everything that I used my free time for which isn't cool and I did not even get any compensation for that but I kept my mouth shut and just played the game again now after along time again I finally got a good deck that I'm happy with and finally enjoyed Gwent again now a update comes....and sorry for my language now but COMPLETELY FUCKS UP THE ENTIRE SYSTEM.

I don't understand WHY someone would make this stupid decision?First off gold cards?WTF?What makes gold cards different from an original bronze card now,nothing just a golden border that's it who made the stupid decision to make gold cards target-able for spells and all the other stuff because it's STUPID I liked the idea of having a lock on my deck like dimiritium shackles or bomb to change a gold card like the kayran for example to normal so I could scorch him now you can just reduce a gold card with a simple fucking cow carcass spawned from a bronze fucking unit?So you're telling me I have to spend 800 scraps for a gold card that can be just as usefull or less usefull than a bronze card with 80 or so scraps cost?NO this is where I have to put my foot down and complain because I actually really love and enjoy this game but you guys are busy taking a huge dump on it and I'm tired of getting screwed over by you with this game CDPR :( now I'm stuck with a deck that is completely powerless thanks to your no trio no more ACTUAL UNIQUE GOLD cards system where a simple bronze unit can destroy your gold card I spent so much off my free time,free time that is very valuable to me on Gwent working for the deck that I always dreamed of just to finally get it and have you screw me over and changing everything stop CHANGING the game mechanics for the worse if you want to do shit like this at least compensate people and give them refunds on things used for the cards because being screwed over like this makes me just want to stop playing the game and this is the second time I got screwed over by my most loved game developer...and I am very upset at the moment and I can clearly see I'm not the only one upset by these changes...if you plan on doing massive changes like this compensate people or something :( or revert the changes just don't screw us over like so many developers do these days </3 :(

The patch pretty much changed (or screwed) all the decks, why do you think its just you. We are all on the same page here, all of us starting to build our decks again, only no wipe this time so you still got the base + the rewards if you were playing ladder.
You might not like these changes or not like changes at all and its ok, but we are all in the same boat here, so maybe give it a try.
As far as i understand these change will continue (maybe not always in such drastic form like the gold cards change) on a seasonal basis, with more balancing and additional cards every 2 months, so i guess its better for everyone to get used to the idea that their beloved and successful deck might be totaly disfunctional the next season.

I just wish they would stop doing this because I'm honestly starting to not see a point to playing this anymore it's not fun if all your progress,everything you built towards just goes away like that :I.

Otherwise the game would become stale (always more or less the sane meta with an ocasional addition of a card or 2) and static (if there is no ladder reset every now and then). Veteran players will stop playing because it will be boring, new players won't come because there wouldn't be much chance to climb the ladder without spending a considerable sum on kegs, and the game will just die out.

Not all changes are good but eventually they have to make changes now and then to keep the game alive.

onlybalint;n9352561 said:
I agree with what we had in closed beta. I vote for gold cards being able to damage other golds!

I would TOTALLY be okay with this but this bullshit with this new patch having a bronze card simply destroy a gold like it's nothing is total bull!

Ouderkirkj;n9403201 said:
The game is certainly more dynamic and allows for more variety. No longer can you sit on a Gold at the end of a game and get an auto win because it can't be countered. It's much better now.

There was a way to counter golds a simple mechanic called lock which is now almost completely useless unless your going against a player focused on dwarf cards and don't even get me started on the marauder !!!! :I biggest bullshit ever

Stormbuster;n9406901 said:
Damageable golds means in fact more weight for "random" factor in deciding the fate of a game and consequently less skills needed.

Exactly, been posting that exact thing a couple of times earlier. Gwent to me felt a lot like chess( an overused analogy I know, but used to play chess at a fairly ok level). You could calculate out a lot of stuff and the game has mechanics like blacklisting for example. After the gold change it's way more random how matches go. You can't bait out a particular gold counter because the opponent have tons of them. So you end up playing a gold and just hoping they can't remove it. The game is much more chaotic and random. I'm sure some like it but for me the whole appeal of Gwent was how "solid" it was. You had so much control over how matches ended. To me it seems less skill for sure now.

Last edited:
Sorry guys but i lost all my willing and enthusiasm for this awsome card game ever, after the change to gold cards. I dont have this agony in my soul after i came back to my home from work to play Gwent. I will think it better if i continue to play if gold cards dont return to their basic situation. Cauze thats why they are golds. Thats why we can have only 4 in our decks, thats why they are most expensive to mill them. Which is the point to be colds if they damaged and effected from all the other cards? !!!!!!!!! This Gwent card game is bassed on the original Witcher game where there gold cards are uneffected. Why so you change this BASIC situation?

If you do for the reason that nobody have the filling of secure end of rounds with gold cards on the board, then you disside wrong. Ok maybe some gold cards became overpowered after their deploy, like consume elder or Letho gallet, but you could make this change insteed of what you do. After ending the playing of those cards they demoted to silvers, but only for those types of gold cards. (my opinion).

Any way i think you are smart ppl and you will return gold cards back where they really belong.

Stormbuster;n9406901 said:
Guys, you have to understand that this is a game like all the others.

Damageable golds means in fact more weight for "random" factor in deciding the fate of a game and consequently less skills needed. That means more control for rigging mechanics. That means more games with known results even before starting. I have seen it in so many other games. The herd was screaming out this and that is too hard and requires too much skill. The devs. have to listen as they represents the vast majority of donors.

At least this is what devs are trying to say: that people were complaining of golds deciding the game so they made these more "interact-able". Tbh, I didn't notice posts on forums in this regards....so one more proof that the background for the change was another one.

I posted the same few times: Gwent is unfortunately going the same path as lots of other games out there: please the mass, indulge them donors with easy wins to make their egos happy and get more money from them.

They could have made something else to balance the games when a player got all 4 and the other none. They could have let all 4 in the hand in the beginning. They could have asked players to decide which 2 out of 4 golds him/her would start with in round 1. Or any other examples.

Now, golds are only cost a lot of scrap and have no more strategical value in the game....

Thank you. Exactly my thoughts for the last two months.

CDPR wants to please the New Players/Bad Players and the Reddit Scrublords.

1. A lot of New Players (not all) complain about the fact that they don't have enough Gold Cards to compete with Players who played the game for a much longer period.

Solution: Make Gold Cards targetable and increase the Overall Power Level of Bronzes. Now Gold Cards are just slightly better Silvers or in some cases bad Bronzes.

2. Increase the number of Cards with the word "Random" in it. Now Players can bitch about the RNG and don't question themself if they played bad or not.

3. Get rid of high Value Bronze Finishers (Spotters, Pirate etc.) and high Value Gold Finishers (Tibor, Hjalmar) because it will result in a much closer Game in the End.

Now it will look like a close game and New Players won't question there Skill cause visually it looked like they hold there ground pretty well.

4. Make the Game more casual and decrease strategy and decision making in the process.

You guys might have noticed the high amount of Scoiatel Spell Decks and Monster Weather Decks atm. right?

Well where is the strategy here? Just Play Tremors over and over again and get ridiculous amount of Carryover.

5. I also think the reason why Monsters is very competetive all the time (basically every patch they are Tier 1) is because a lot of New Players like them design wise and they require less skill and decision making compared to other factions.

There are some interesting aspects atm. but I hope they revert the Gold Changes.

Last edited:
I3LOODI-IUNT

you tell all the truth and all that i feel my good friend........................... All that nights in front of pc for what? .... for nothing? :(:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
scorba;n9409021 said:
it just spawns one golem regardless of how many were killed.

True but Stammelford's tremmors already have a value. If you're opponent has more unit that you he loses some power which is to be added to the Golem + his shield + the 2 lesser golem for carry over.
That's a lot of value for a bronze card if you ask me, especially if you build around (like control oriented deck with 1 str unit to one shot on your side so you can convert them into golems during the game).

Good Job with the Golds.

CDPR... what were you thinking. Now the cards that allow most acrotypes to function can be taken out of play with simple spells. It has made the game frustrating. The only way i can ladder is by playing Spell-a-Tell Sage addition. I want to play mill guard, but Avolock is killed right off the bat. You all made some great progress with the last patch. The game was coming into balance. I thought we were done with full rewrites of the game mechanics. You let me down. What were you thinking?

GenLiu;n9418111 said:
True but Stammelford's tremmors already have a value.

it also damages your own units, so that value is around 0. sure, you can make it worth it in a spell or a SK wound deck, but I think it's still more like an "interesting" than broken card.

At first when i heard about gold being able to be damaged it didn't bother me much the idea,but seeing my premium card being destroyed by bronze units kinda makes gold cards less valuable even premium cards,maybe it will take some time to get used to it but for now it really makes me sad when i see my premium gold card that i crafted goes in graveyard :(

el_Bosco;n9352291 said:
Pretty much sums up the opinion i've stated in several posts over today. They go back and fourth over such dramatic elements of the game like they have no long term path for the game. And its not the 1st time this happens.

Its exactly the other way around.

Its realy nice and cool to see a company having the balls to implement drastic changes if they think they are needed.

Look at HOTS for example. Like 20% or more of the heroes are unviable at higher leagues. Instead of saying "yeah ... we failed with their kits ... we have to rework them completely since we dont seem to find a way to fix their kits across all leagues!" Blizzard tries to balance some heroes via number tweaks for like 2 years and they still dont become viable.

The problem isnt that Gold cards are targetable. Silver cards are vulnerable aswell and still some silver cards can swing a situation. The problem with Gold cards is that some are not powerful enough or to reliant to stay on the board when they are easy to remove. So some of them just need higher base stats now (Ciri) or new effects when played or when destroyed. But just looking at the balancing the change its completely fine. Its completely possible to balance Gold cards around being killable by just increasing their average power compared to Silver or Bronze cards.

Besides that you should just keep calm and play for a few weeks to see how the change makes the game better or worse. Its self-explanatory that such a new and big change feels strange at first place. This would also have been the case if the change would have been the other way around. If gold cards would have been targetable and now would have been changed to being untargetable the whole forum would be filled with "ohlolol Gold cards unkillable now! RIP Gwent!". So just keep calm, play the game and stop talking about something as long as you cant talk about it objectively.

Last edited:
marina22;n9420411 said:
but seeing my premium card being destroyed by bronze units kinda makes gold cards less valuable even premium cards

Yeah ... for sure game should be balanced around premium cards.

LOL

scorba;n9420211 said:
it also damages your own units, so that value is around 0. sure, you can make it worth it in a spell or a SK wound deck, but I think it's still more like an "interesting" than broken card.

You don't even need any synergy, ST is based on the same concept as Yennifer. As soon as you have less units than your opponent it starts making value (which is why I suggested to play it in a control deck). Since it hits every unit on the board, if you have 2 of them and your opponent has 5, for instance, you're making 3 points of value.
And this is whitout counting all the value attached to the golem, which is an actual bronze unit by himself.

Again, I might be completely wrong but I think this card isn't right about the value it produces.
And you can have an interesting card that is OP at the same time, it's definitely not an issue.

Top Bottom