The Northern realm change revealed so far...

+
They did say that they don't like super strong finishers, so I'd not be surprised if they would get nerf.

And yeah, armor archetype need to get more ways to intervene yourself before I consider playing it. Not enough interaction as it stands.

wildkeny;n9372531 said:
The current Reinforcement is too overpowered nonetheless.

The strength of such tutor card is solely depend on the card pool that faction can offer. If you give this card to skellige or monster (well they already have Sigdrifa) I would also agree this card is OP however just look at NR silver pool...meh... none of those bronze or silver can get 13 or above on their own, NR need at least a package of cards to generate decent power, regardless of its archetype.

MooshieMooshie;n9373381 said:
The current reaver Hensalt deck goes almost untouched with these changes. If these are the only nerfs to NR that deck will completely dominate considering it looks like the power players right now are getting gutted to at least some degree.

It's not the reaver hunters get nerfed, it's the whole mechanic supporting reaver hunter is interrupted. Nennke or operator not being able to target by reinforcement alone is a fatal blow to the archetype since Reaver hunter is the only winning condition of such deck and with absent of either operator or Nenneke you will see the impact of reaver hunter decrease pretty rapidly.

And I laugh at NR being dominant, how is that even possible when other faction got buffed more or less while NR get nerfed to the core? NR isn't even anywhere near dominant before the patch.

Exoclyps;n9373671 said:
They did say that they don't like super strong finishers, so I'd not be surprised if they would get nerf.

And yeah, armor archetype need to get more ways to intervene yourself before I consider playing it. Not enough interaction as it stands.

Well Keira is not strong finisher anyway, still don't understand why.

On the other hand indeed, armor archetype is somewhat disappointing to play or play against.

Last edited:
ResoundingBuahaha;n9373201 said:
Remember what she was before this remake? D: Even in this patch many doesn't consider she is good though.
Well, on the funny part, I had made a deck around Priscilla before her remake, that was a very convoluted deck that was based on the Birthing pod strategy (if you know about MTG) an I used to ran Dandelion, Priscilla and Royal decree (which was first meant to increase the chance of hitting Dande but couldn't miss thanks to Prisci).
That was first meant to be a deck "for fun" but I had so much success with it that I ended up bringing it in ranked. So I might be the only person on earth who think that "old Priscilla", even though I wouldn't say that she was good, wasn't as terrible as many think (so much that I was actually disappointed that they buffed (nerfed?) her and had to change my Henselt deck into a more "conventional" deck (with 3 Keadweni sergents, for example, which I was just running one of in the previous list).

With that being said, it was the only format where I could make her work. The current version is obviously much better in the "regular" Henselt deck and I'm among those who think she's actually good (she's perfect to desinc your board and Dikstra did more harm than good to me anyway...my legendary luck I suppose).

But I wasn't thinking of her having a similar rule, I was actually thinking about her seeing her rule change completely (similarly to Yen con, for instance), which is possible imo because, as we all agreed, if Gold cards can be targeted, she's completely useless as she is right now.

If CDPR though the same, they could think of a new mechanic that actually helps the Henselt Hunter deck and knowing that, I can't wait to see what she'll become after the incoming patch.

Now, of course, maybe they won't have the same though and keep her rule as it si right now, just giving her a sh*** ton of armor of a Deathwish but I have high expectation for her, I don't know why, I just feel like she has a potential, especially since Priscilla is an iconic character of the Witcher universe, I can't think of a better unit to become more prevalent in the game.

ResoundingBuahaha let me get this straight: * you wish Priscilla still had her closed beta ability *you think Keira isn't that strong * reinforcement in its current form is 'meh' ...
and on the other hand: *reinforcement in another faction would be OP * you don't care about bloody Baron because you don't play radovid control...

many of these statements, if stated individually may have some merit, but when all are brought together they show a pattern: it really seems to me that any card that isn't OP in the archetype you play ''isn't strong enough'' and any card that isn't useless in another archetype ''must be nerfed''.

You do realize it doesn't work that way, don't you?

ArianeGrosmont;n9373961 said:
many of these statements, if stated individually may have some merit, but when all are brought together they show a pattern: it really seems to me that any card that isn't OP in the archetype you play ''isn't strong enough'' and any card that isn't useless in another archetype ''must be nerfed''.

It may sounds weird to you but this thread is about NR so what perspective should I look it from? I don't recall since start of OB NR had once dominate the ladder for a month (Yes I am sarcastic on Skellige and Monster), and I'm sure none of these card I mentioned can consistently make a 20-40 swing (Yes I am implying Coral). And I think we can agree Pricilla is no strong in any sense except the easter egg.

ArianeGrosmont;n9373961 said:
You do realize it doesn't work that way, don't you?

Then why we don't see a little variety dominating the ladder, but only bouncing between Skellige and Monster take turn taking up 40%-60% of the ladder? If NR is anyway near that I'll shut up and hope people like me or dev don't realize, why shouldn't I talking for the archetype I play?

Ok back to the topic, I refrain from talking cards I don't know enough because I really have no idea how they actually work, but I can still remember bloody baron been laughed as one of the useless gold in Northern realm before Dagon swarm is so popular. In next patch I would expect him disappear once the swarm isn't a thing.

Pricilla is already reworked, so I think that's indicating how she performed in OB. (I never played CB so no I have no idea what you talking about)

Same card in different faction does has different impact, take Warlongship, Mangonel and Mulligan brigade as example, even though they are the same role in respective archetype the fact that war longship can be revived already make it superior than the other two. Turor cards like reinforcement are no exception, I can hardly claim it's OP if ST has it while SK or Monster would be OP

Last edited:
Nammu2;n9367801 said:
Queensguard Skellige deck will be unstoppable....
Lol what? Every NG deck will use Letho now that A) it's strength is 9 if not spying and B) you can scorch it now

DMaster2;n9375221 said:
? I did say NG, not NR.

Every QG not OP opinion would say counter like Griffin, Letho, Vicovaro medic etc...Sure they are effective counter but the fact is they are faction exclusive so in fact half of the factions (ST NR) can not interrupt this combo, so these view is essentially sounds like "switch faction or you deserve lose".

Though I personally don't think QG will be unstoppable but indeed they are not interruptable half the time and there is no viable counter exist (Try not to refer to Necromancy, we all know it's shit).

ResoundingBuahaha;n9375251 said:
Every QG not OP opinion would say counter like Griffin, Letho, Vicovaro medic etc...Sure they are effective counter but the fact is they are faction exclusive so in fact half of the factions (ST NR) can not interrupt this combo, so these view is essentially sounds like "switch faction or you deserve lose".

Though I personally don't think QG will be unstoppable but indeed they are not interruptable half the time and there is no viable counter exist (Try not to refer to Necromancy, we all know it's shit).
The new Donar can steal a unit from your oppo grave. Which means a QG you gave them with Operator OR something they stoled first. Letho however banish so, especially if played R1, means gg qg

DMaster2;n9375341 said:
The new Donar can steal a unit from your oppo grave. Which means a QG you gave them with Operator OR something they stoled first. Letho however banish so, especially if played R1, means gg qg

And Letho is NG exclusive, so I fail to see how that bothers QG butcher other factions. Unless we are talking 60% being NG, which is highly unlikely scenario

ResoundingBuahaha;n9375411 said:
And Letho is NG exclusive, so I fail to see how that bothers QG butcher other factions. Unless we are talking 60% being NG, which is highly unlikely scenario
I'll tell you one secret, why a deck like QG will never be top dog in the meta. Because if it ever happens people will start to run NG, Letho in particular, to counter it. And there we go QG is now unplayable.

And it's not only NG tho.

Monster will also start to run Katakan to consume a QG on the grave, and possibly ghoul. Caretaker is not as good as before due to the new donar as i said in the last post.

So you see why a deck like QG can't really hope to keep owning a meta for more than a couple of weeks, like what happened in the first 2 weeks of OB

DMaster2;n9375581 said:
I'll tell you one secret, why a deck like QG will never be top dog in the meta. Because if it ever happens people will start to run NG, Letho in particular, to counter it. And there we go QG is now unplayable.

And it's not only NG tho.

Monster will also start to run Katakan to consume a QG on the grave, and possibly ghoul. Caretaker is not as good as before due to the new donar as i said in the last post.

So you see why a deck like QG can't really hope to keep owning a meta for more than a couple of weeks, like what happened in the first 2 weeks of OB

Yes, deal with it.

Again you speak only Monster and NG countering the faction. So again half the factions cannot stop your combo.

I'm not saying QG should necessary be tier 1, I'm saying there is nothing for ST and NR to counter QG while it should be fair to let every faction has some counter. Opinions like this indeed make me play NG for a while with 3 vicovaro medic and letho d bomb, just to seek QG to butcher since I cannot do so with NR and cannot accept they have some counter in the game.

ResoundingBuahaha;n9375791 said:
Yes, deal with it.

Again you speak only Monster and NG countering the faction. So again half the factions cannot stop your combo.

I'm not saying QG should necessary be tier 1, I'm saying there is nothing for ST and NR to counter QG while it should be fair to let every faction has some counter. Opinions like this indeed make me play NG for a while with 3 vicovaro medic and letho d bomb, just to seek QG to butcher since I cannot do so with NR and cannot accept they have some counter in the game.
Ugh, you don't seem to get the point. If there was this whole situation where suddenly SK qg is the best deck around, there will be A) people that play said deck and B) people that play a direct counter to pluck on the group A. People that do neither of those get left out of the meta (just like people trying to ladder up with mulligan ST, poor lads).
That's how it works in the competitive scene. Of course in casual you can prey on people that want to try fun stuff with your tier 1 deck. Isn't what already happens now whenever you see a dagon or discard SK in casual? That has nothing to do with the meta tho.

In a meta where QG is strong i would expect something like this:
A) people start playing QG in high rank because of winrate
B) people start to adjust by playing NG and other counter techs as well (like katakan)
C) people that does neither A nor B get left out of the meta
D) people will shy away from QG due to the decreasing winrate, a matchup against a Letho NG is awful for QG and there's still the mirror where the expected winrate is 50%
E) other decks start to settle again, NG start to see less play

And that's how it is. Mind you this is not a "normal" flow of events, this only happens with peculiar decks like qg.

DMaster2;n9375901 said:
Ugh, you don't seem to get the point. If there was this whole situation where suddenly SK qg is the best deck around, there will be A) people that play said deck and B) people that play a direct counter to pluck on the group A. People that do neither of those get left out of the meta (just like people trying to ladder up with mulligan ST, poor lads).
That's how it works in the competitive scene. Of course in casual you can prey on people that want to try fun stuff with your tier 1 deck. Isn't what already happens now whenever you see a dagon or discard SK in casual? That has nothing to do with the meta tho.

In a meta where QG is strong i would expect something like this:
A) people start playing QG in high rank because of winrate
B) people start to adjust by playing NG and other counter techs as well (like katakan)
C) people that does neither A nor B get left out of the meta
D) people will shy away from QG due to the decreasing winrate, a matchup against a Letho NG is awful for QG and there's still the mirror where the expected winrate is 50%
E) other decks start to settle again, NG start to see less play

And that's how it is. Mind you this is not a "normal" flow of events, this only happens with peculiar decks like qg.

Yeah, so basically you mean switch faction or lose. It pains me to see this kind of stuff exist, every faction deserve something to fight back. Especially in a NR discussion thread.

Last edited:
ResoundingBuahaha;n9376031 said:
Yeah, so basically you mean switch faction or lose. It pains me to see this kind of stuff exist, every faction deserve something to fight back. Especially in a NR discussion thread.
If that's the situation, before a balance patch, and you expect to keep going stong in the ranking then yes, switch faction or lose. Isn't what happens in every competitive game? You play what works and what's best at any given moment. Casual exists if you want to play fun stuff.

DMaster2;n9376081 said:
If that's the situation, before a balance patch, and you expect to keep going stong in the ranking then yes, switch faction or lose. Isn't what happens in every competitive game? You play what works and what's best at any given moment. Casual exists if you want to play fun stuff.

And here goes the balance, right out of the window. Somehow explains why Dagon and Bran is so popular, I have no words with this kind of people.

Last edited:
Wow.... SMH :facepalm:
I give up.
Trying to get a point across here is like banging my head against the wall.... Though a wall may be more receptive to logic.

In the ask a developer thread I asked directly if reaver hunter was getting a nerf. He replied that they are definitely changing how reaver hunter works. So its official. Not sure if anyone clarified that yet in this thread but thought I would mention it being this is a NR topic.

Here is a copy of the conversation:

Originally posted by DCeiTFuL View Post
I have 2 questions to ask.

1) Can you give an estimated for release of the next patch? Not specifics, just days or weeks.

2) Do you plan on changing Reaver Hunter because the 3rd round Reaver/ Henselt combo is almost impossible to beat, especially if they threw operator to add another to their deck?

Thanks in advance for you response.

Love the game and Love the way you guys keep up with your players and fan base. Excellent work all around!
1) Soon ;) On a serious note - at the moment I cannot tell you any details. We'll announce this information as soon as we can.

2) Yes, we are investigating the Reaver Hunter and we are looking for a way to change how it works.

Top Bottom