Xarthisius' Ability to Reveal a Whole Deck

+
Can you please change this card so that it doesn't reveal the whole deck to the opponent? I also hear, from Merchant, that it doesn't shuffle the deck afterwards. This kind of information reveal is too much. Regis looking at 3 cards and eating one is bad enough. For me, I don't tend to net deck, and try to surprise my opponent. Xarthisius is game breaking.

So, Xarthisius got a substantial buff from "Look at the Top 3 cards in your opponents deck, you may move 1 to the bottom of that deck" to "Look at the cards in your opponents deck, you may move 1 to the bottom of that deck".

This card has been terrible for a long time for a lot of reasons, and I really gave this card a good chance, but know it is looking more than playable. I've heard a lot of people claim it is OP but I heavily disagree with that.

Anyways what do you guys think about the New Xarthisius? :)

The ability has too be changed.

It will be absolutely broken at higher MMR. Given the ability to see all cards in the deck you can infer what cards are left in hand. This alone means that you can plan out the round in advance and setup optimal plays. The second ability also negates your opponent from drawing any card that they most need for the upcoming rounds, spies, tech cards, counters.

Raunbjorn

This card makes me question the devs. I mean what were they thinking lol? That card is the definition of unfun to me. Also the Jade fig, I haven't played the Witcher but I assume there isn't any Asian influence in the game/lore? What's next? Please don't go panda on us : /

I'm holding on to my money for now. Don't wanna invest in the game just yet.

Hydrahead;n9387621 said:
This card makes me question the devs. I mean what were they thinking lol? That card is the definition of unfun to me. Also the Jade fig, I haven't played the Witcher but I assume there isn't any Asian influence in the game/lore? What's next? Please don't go panda on us : /

I'm holding on to my money for now. Don't wanna invest in the game just yet.

You're assuming wrong. I think with the Jade Fig you mean Artefact Compression which is a spell that is at least (I did not read the books yet) a thing in The Witcher 2 and 3.
I agree with you on the unfun-part about new Xarthisius..

I agree, that his new ability is stupid. 12 strength and his old ability or something completely new.

I am a reasonable person. I have never claimed a card to be OP, e.g. Igni and Kambi can be unhealthy for the game, but they are not OP. The reveal archetype of revealing cards in the opponent's hands is fine also. You'll need a few cards in order to see the opponent's whole hand.

Xarthisius is just plain freaking broken. Not only does it show the correct order of cards, you can also put one of them at the bottom, possible breaking a whole archetype/tactic. Even if this card sees the light of day, it will be amongst the first to be nerfed.

Xarthisius has always been unplayable, even with the synergy with Treason.
What's the point in giving NG Golds like Xarthisius or Assassination if no deck will ever use them?

The ability looks powerful, but the very tight Gold limit is to be considered...
Will you swap Cahir, Letho or Tibor for this new Xarthisius knowing that his usefulness in Round 2 and 3 is close to zero?

Raunbjorn

Checco515;n9388461 said:
What's the point in giving NG Golds like Xarthisius or Assassination if no deck will ever use them?

The ability looks powerful, but the very tight Gold limit is to be considered...
Will you swap Cahir, Letho or Tibor for this new Xarthisius knowing that his usefulness in Round 2 and 3 is close to zero?

Well I'm all in for buffing the card but this mechanic is just dumb but most importantly it's unfun (IMO obviously!). As a matter of fact this is *probably* the worst designed card in any card game ever lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this card allowed you to look at the entire deck your opponent has (including those in his hand as part of the entire deck) it wouldn't be an issue. If you're familiar with the meta, you know which cards he'll run.

The problem is that it reveals what card he COULD have in hand. If you see Igni, you know he doesn't have it in his hand.

On top of that he's a 10 strength gold that allows you to break an opponent's deck/play.

I doubt it'll stay like this. As much as I like playing Nilfgaard, cards like these can mess the game up.

On to of ALL that, he shows them in order. You can actually see which cards your opponent will draw next.

I generally enjoy playing NG and i'll probably try Xarthisius but it doesn't strike me as very powerful right now, it remains to be seen. If indeed turns out to be OP personally i'd make him shuffle the deck afterwords, basically he would be a reverse Stefan Skellen.

I think people are really overreacting about this card. It has the same problem as the whole reveal archetype: information is worthless. Lets say you're playing spies NG and you see your opponent deck doesnt have igni, so you assume he has it in hand. Can you play around it? No, his igni will still provide him 20+ value on your impera brigades or joachim. You're trading 7-10 points of other competetive NG golds value (like Rainfarn) for information that isnt worth much at all. I really doubt it will see any competetive play at all in a game where tempo and points are worth a lot more than information.

4RM3D;n9388401 said:
I am a reasonable person. I have never claimed a card to be OP, e.g. Igni and Kambi can be unhealthy for the game, but they are not OP. The reveal archetype of revealing cards in the opponent's hands is fine also. You'll need a few cards in order to see the opponent's whole hand.

Xarthisius is just plain freaking broken. Not only does it show the correct order of cards, you can also put one of them at the bottom, possible breaking a whole archetype/tactic. Even if this card sees the light of day, it will be amongst the first to be nerfed.

Couldn't have said it better. While I'm weary about some of the changes, I always feel like a 'wait and see' approach is in order. But this is the first time I feel like they were plain 100% wrong. ​​​​ And there's no two ways about it.

ArianeGrosmont;n9388931 said:
Couldn't have said it better. While I'm weary about some of the changes, I always feel like a 'wait and see' approach is in order. But this is the first time I feel like they were plain 100% wrong. ​​​​ And there's no two ways about it.
@mods
Can we suspend her posting during these hours? Not because she's wrong but because it's bath time for the kids... Would pay in glitter rocks.

Sargarth;n9388901 said:
I think people are really overreacting about this card. It has the same problem as the whole reveal archetype: information is worthless. Lets say you're playing spies NG and you see your opponent deck doesnt have igni, so you assume he has it in hand. Can you play around it? No, his igni will still provide him 20+ value on your impera brigades or joachim. You're trading 7-10 points of other competetive NG golds value (like Rainfarn) for information that isnt worth much at all. I really doubt it will see any competetive play at all in a game where tempo and points are worth a lot more than information.
I disagree. A 10 body gold is still decent. There's tons of golds that are only 10 and have marginal abilities and still get played.
The fact that you can deck track to see what your opponent has in hand is pretty huge. Playing vs Monsters and see Crones? Only 2 in his deck? Then there's one in his hand. Don't see any Crones in the hand? Maybe shove the top one on the bottom so they NEVER come up. You can do the same with their big golds like Igni and such.

The only thing the card doesn't work for are tutors. And I think every faction will be running some sort of tutor to fetch cards.

Checco515;n9388461 said:

Considering that golds will lose their immunity status heck yes! Tibor will be useless unless completely reworked and to be honest NG already doesn't have that many staple golds as it is, no idea why Cahir was even on that list as it was mostly used in pre-nerf Calvey decks, post Calvey nerf he's been absent from all decks barring Millguard. Xarthisius' new effect is insane to the experienced player who understands the value of information. When you add tools like Gwent Tracker on top of that to preserve that information on the screen rather than just in your hand, makes it even more powerful. We already had this problem with Dandelion so CDPR added the "shuffle your deck afterwards" clause, Xarthisius should definitely receive the same treatment, for your opponent's deck obviously rather than yours. It will still be an insanely powerful card as you'll be able to see all cards in your opponent's deck but at least you won't have an exact play by play on what your opponent will get into his hand in future draws(from drawing between rounds, spies, etc). Considering the insane power of this effect the 10 strength body is insane too. Definitely needs toning down if the effect remains the same.

Top Bottom