Xarthisius' Ability to Reveal a Whole Deck

+
Arcologist;n9402131 said:
As pointed out, information is really not that valuable in this game, mostly you are trying to maximize the value of your cards. With experience you can figure out what's in the opponent's hand and deck without having to see it. He will make treason more powerful but not much else.

Treason has a different effect now. It moves a spy with 10 Power or less to your side

From Xarthisius to where we are going...

So, again, Xarthisius.

Considering CDPR make him 10 str, I figure CDPR think his ability is somewhat only "moderate", however I don't think this is the case.

Previously, one can only guess opponent's deck base on their played card and leader, and NF reveal, however this card let you see the opponent's whole deck, and in exact order.

Now I know it is still an unpopular card because few bother to remember or record all the cards and their order... HOWEVER, how long will it take for things like gwentup or gwent tracker to totally abuse its ability?

With addon the users can easily watch all the opponent's deck, and know exactly which the opponent is gonna draw, if you played reveal deck, you will know how much this is gonna screw up the game.
(contrary to some other says that information is useless, knowing other's hand and play accordingly is extremely powerful in the last two rounds)

I really don't think such ability should exist in the game, if CDPR want to make Xarthisius viable, simply change it to 5tre and watch the top 3 cards of opponent's deck, and put under whichever you want (can put multiple to the bottom), knowing the full deck is an weapon too OP

Come back to the topic, if CDPR is okay with this ability, then we need to think: what is the fun point of this game?

You don't need to guess opponent's deck, you just play your own cards like standard procedure with few tweaks, you win or lose, you can probably tell with tracker or up's calculation.

And the only possible balance for people here is to give everyone such ability, again do we really want that? Everyone know the exact card of opponent's ? What's the fun in that?

But it does not show the card in order. I've seen the card used countless time on Twitch where a card that was supposedly on the bottom where then later drawn next round.

True that it does give you an idea what the player got on hand, especially if they are netdecking. But I don't think the card is as strong as you make it out to be.

I was expecting him to be everywhere but I have yet to see him played. That said, i agree that it could be abused with tools like GwentUp. Of course, in many case if you're going to lose then you're going to lose no matter what advanced knowledge you've gathered. Perhaps more cards need to add, matter-of-factly, the ability to shuffle your own deck. Your opponent still knows the complete composition of your deck but at least they won't know which cards are about to be drawn.

Still, Xarthisius are not gonna give you the order of the cards. So there is no need for cards to shuffle the deck.
More often than not these cards would ruin other tactics.

Lyserus Thread merged, as we already had one on the new Xarthisius in General Discussions.

I have to say it's rather curious how the card hasn't been discussed since it came out in its new form, considering it was one of the hottest topics before the patch.
I too have yet to see him played this patch.

I started to play him in my Spies deck few days back (just for the giggles) and he can be really disruptive especially R1, plus the knowledge that Your opponent's three last cards are 2 Silvers and one Gold can be really of use. And when you put another Gold or something really oppressive at the bottom, you can totally wreck his strategy and play him like a fiddle. Problem is, sometimes your opponent have key cards in his deck already and this disruptiveness is not helping you a lot. And is not helping you (almost) at all if you pull him R3.

He is FAR from this oppressive card that everybody were blabbering about, as you can tell by the meta.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I love Xarthisius, he's the only NG card i made premium (really amazing artwork) but i confess i havent been using him yet, focusing more on my 'hard mode' Calveit mill deck.

Many of you are complaining he's OP because you can see your opponent's entire deck - i wont argue on that, that's his main function. But to those who are complaining because you can know what order your opponent will get the cards, or disrupt his strategy by sending one to the bottom, i remind you of one thing: shuffle.

There are tons of cards in Gwent that make you shuffle your deck. In SK, pratically every deck has a few. SC Mulligan keeps doing it too. And NG has a few that shuffle too. I also think Avallach and the draw card spies do it too and those are very popular.

Besides, NR has reinforcement to get the bronze/silver they want, and the dwarf leader can also call any Silver so it's always a Gamble when you use Xarthisius, that card you send to the bottom might resurface and bite you in the arse...

I love reading these posts how people are predicting he's gonna be the most oppressive thing ever. Well, we usually already sort of know what's in our opponent's hand and deck after the first two or three cards have been played, so the information part is irrelevant, and putting a card on the bottom of your opponent's deck is okay at best. Honestly, I'd make him a Silver, because he just isn't worth running right now. I'm currently playing Vanilla Geralt instead of Xarthisius, because his ability really is overrated.

DRK3

Forum veteran
DannyGuy;n9508351 said:
I love reading these posts how people are predicting he's gonna be the most oppressive thing ever. Well, we usually already sort of know what's in our opponent's hand and deck after the first two or three cards have been played, so the information part is irrelevant, and putting a card on the bottom of your opponent's deck is okay at best. Honestly, I'd make him a Silver, because he just isn't worth running right now. I'm currently playing Vanilla Geralt instead of Xarthisius, because his ability really is overrated.

But there's one more aspect that hasnt been referred on Xarthisius - the mind games.

Maybe i just love being evil, but i usually spend more time than i should analysing the opponent's deck, not to actually memorize his cards but just to make him feel exposed and helpless...

:smile:

I never thought of it like that. Seems like a must-have card, and one which is hastily-made. Makes the entire Reveal deck pointless, specially since you can screenshot his deck.

Although, you're forgetting that you don't get to see their hand, and that's where he'll be playing most of his cards from. So, on a second thought, not SUCH a big deal.

You see some 3-10 cards that will be played, depending on the Mulligan, and number of tutors in hand. So, all in all, somewhat a big deal.

I agree, no one should see the opponents entire deck like that. The discussion regarding this card is an old one (the ability has been like that for quite some time), but the thing is: almost no one plays it and as far as I recall, it has never been that popular.

Probably because the tier 1 and 2 decks are usually built the same way, so there's no need to take a closer look at these decks. Moving cards to the bottom of the opponents deck also isn't that helpful most of the time. And compared to the other NG gold cards it's kind of low tempo...

But yeah, I hope this card will face a significant change once Homecoming arrives.

The thing is it does not show the deck in order, or if it does, it shuffles it afterwards. I've used him in certain reveal decks and the card my opponent draws after I use him is not what would be on top if the deck remained unshuffled.

Additionally, like Cynthia and a heluva lot of NG cards, he is only good if used early on. The later you draw him the worse he gets. The very first time I saw him played was back in the closed beta, as my opponent's final card, and he lost, even to my frankly subpar deck. His ability was different but the fact remains that he is just good in the early beginning, and even then, he is not that good.

Plus, with everyone netdecking, you sort of know what you are going to be seeing anyway. In the higher ranks, you know what to expect from enemy netdecks, and in the lower ranks, he is not that good anyway. Like other people said, there's no reason to sacrifice Vilgefortz, Cahir, Yen: Enchantress, Vattier in reveal decks, and so many other great golds NG has for this card.

I also love the people saying it is plain broken at the beginning of this thread :p

This card makes me question the devs. I mean what were they thinking lol? That card is the definition of unfun to me. Also the Jade fig, I haven't played the Witcher but I assume there isn't any Asian influence in the game/lore? What's next? Please don't go panda on us : /

I'm holding on to my money for now. Don't wanna invest in the game just yet.

The developers don't care anymore. I thought that was apparent.

Top Bottom