Vrihedd Officer is preforming impossible feats

+

• Total voters

Vrihedd Officer is the 6 strength mulligan card. And it's insane. Just the other day someone played a 20 strength Vrihedd Officer. I don't even know how that's possible because he'd have to draw a 14 base strength unit, of which there are none. Also, it wasn't thanks to mulliganing a Vrihedd Vanguard, because he had other elves on the board which didn't get boosted. So... how is this possible exactly?

These guys are (in)consistently getting to 12 - 15 strength, which outclasses most bronzes and even some silvers. Also, it's completely random. I was proud of Gwent not having (m)any impactful RNG effects, but this is just unacceptable. I understand that the card might've been too bland before, but there are many bland cards in Gwent and they're completely fine in my opinion. If the card really needs to have a cool ability, maybe make it buff itself based on the color of the card you replace. Like +4 for bronzes, +6 for silvers and +8 for golds. But I'm just brainstorming here.

Are you also experiencing the same problems as I am? I am completely fine with Mulligan, and I love the new Francesca ability, but Vrihedd Officers are just disgusting...

They are pretty powerful indeed but it kinda requires you to build the deck around them, so they are random but not really. I like the way they work now and it kinda punishes you for playing Elven mercenaries which became a staple of ST decks, it's an indirect nerf without really changing them. Granted they got from 2 to 1 STR but this was unnecessary, overall it adds variety.

Personally i'd nerf the base str a bit, i heard on PTR the officer was 4 STR, the buff did more harm than good.

Also regarding your question, maybe your opponent used some hand buffing units that landed on the officer.

The funny thing is this was a card that previously got boosted for every card you would mulligan over the course of a game, and it often was weaker than it is now on average. I've pretty much never seen this thing less than an 11. That means its a card that helps smooth out your draws while also always being a full point value bronze, and most of the time its 12-14. That's completely crazy and requires more or less no effort/work. Its just a very very good card. If the base was 2-3 points lower this card would definitely still be played.

Officer could be buffed while in hand with Francessca or Vrihedd cavarly so yes it can be 20+
And yes its overtuned right now, stronger than the most gold cards

The_Odinson;n9432281 said:
The funny thing is this was a card that previously got boosted for every card you would mulligan over the course of a game, and it often was weaker than it is now on average.

You're confusing two cards. In the previous patch Vrihedd Officers Mulliganed a card and had 7 strength (but didn't boost) Vrihedd Vanguards were the ones who boosted for each Mulliganed card.

By the way, is there a way to position two images next to each other instead of under each other? I can't seem to figure it out.

Last edited:
This is too much power for a bronze card 10+ strength and ability to mulligan a card and proc mulligan effects. When you compare it to Spotter you see that Sotter has 2 less base strength and no ability how is that balance.

Vrihedd Officier is fine, DBP is fine...Pirate Captain, Spotters, R. Hunters, etc. were OP (sarcasm...) No more 15 STR Bronze finisher in R3...

Seems like a simple fix. Remove the boost aspect entirely and replace it or up the base power on the card to compensate. I'm not entirely sure how anyone thought such an interaction was a good idea to begin with.

A slight nerf in base power seems acceptable but other than that they work similarly to Spotters and Pirate Captains.

They need lower str to 4 again
Also they need to change this card effect to - boost by str of mulligan'ed card to remove rng effect of Officer

Don't you think Vrihedd Officer is over-broken

I mean, getting to mulligan a card + a 15-16 strength BRONZE body seems OP to me. Like, Mulligans away 2 Elven Wardancers, and plays a 15 strength bronze, and wins R1. Isn't that broken? If that isn't, tell me what is.

Just looking at the card alone the card is insane. We dont have to debate that. Its pretty much a fact that a card that can trigger mulligan effects, get buffed and get rid of unneeded cards in your hands is like super strong. BUT the deck still has its flaws. It has insane power swings and an insane overall power level (just looking at the stats), yet it still isnt too tricky. It doesnt have the insane tools to get major card advantage. Most strong combos are two or even three round combos. So depending on your deck you can play around those combos... pass in the middle of such a combo and you are likely to lose to round but get one card advantage while the mulligan deck is left with cards he cant use to combo anymore. Some combos are even so straightforward (+1 for all Elves when mulligant) that they are only good in a long round. In other words if you are able to burn the cards of the SK player he wont be left with insane finishers and since many of his cards are very synergetic he probably will be left with 1-2 combo pieces he cant realy use anymore. Have fun winning round 3 with only the power 5 all elves +1 horse or the 8 strength "move something" horse.

The start of the first round and play last night. My opponent drops it and managed to have 20 power. Talk about an uphill battle.

considering pirates and spotters, V-officers are just fine. and don't act like them drawing a +14 card for the boost is a common occurance and something the player chose to do. the drawn card after a mulligan is random. they just happened to draw a a card that got multiple buffs by hawker support.

Cardzilla;n9447041 said:
considering pirates and spotters, V-officers are just fine. and don't act like them drawing a +14 card for the boost is a common occurance and something the player chose to do. the drawn card after a mulligan is random. they just happened to draw a a card that got multiple buffs by hawker support.

It's going to be nerfed. Get your pillow ready.

Cardzilla;n9447041 said:

Ouderkirkj;n9447061 said:
It's going to be nerfed. Get your pillow ready.

keep your tissues handy until it does and be prepared for your pirates/spotters and whatever else to also take a hit. the +20 or whatever officer was a freak occurance, not something common the OP is trying to make it out to be.

It does seem a bit odd that all of the 'super buff' cards for reveal and discard got nerfed, but protector not only didn't get nerfed they added a new card for ST that has the same mechanic they've been trying to get rid of in other classes.

Top Bottom