Vrihedd Officer overnerfed?

+
Vrihedd Officer overnerfed?

So i'm sure everyone is up to date with the recent changes and i wanted to create a discussion about the Vrihedd Officer. Now before the patch i agreed that this card was very powerful and should be taken down a bit which happened in the nerf from 6 to 4.

However the change to buff itself from the mulligan card instead of the drawn card feels like it goes against the whole rework of this archetype we seen last patch. This whole package seems to be created like a house of cards where each card is designed with the others in mind, and such a drastic change affects how the whole archetype functions now.

The whole idea is that you want to mulligan your low power cards like War dances and vanguards or some tech special in order to get something better, doing so puts the Officer in a bad spot, basically falling into the same pit it did before this patch rework, you would have to choose between points and having a good hand.

Personally i think this patch brought a lot for the mulligan archetype, especially with Saskia and the leader change but such changes are a step back to pre-patch philosophy. Also don't get me wrong, i know mulligan is a popular archetype now because it's quite powerful but i don't mind the point nerfs, what bothers me about this change is that it goes against the idea that led to this rework.

Finally i'm aware that some people will say that it's good because it eliminates the randomness, i disagree. There isn't really any randomness, you don't have to evaluate each individual officer but how much points you get PER GAME. If you play 3 officers each game over the course of many games you will notice a pattern, this isn't a really issue and it also affects deck building. Personally i find it interesting that the elven mercenary, a staple of every ST deck didn't work well in this archetype, adding some diversity.

What I love about the Vrihedd Officers is that they don't work well with the Elven Mercenary (as you pointed out), which is a staple in every single Scoia'Tael deck.

However, they do make mulliganing Elven Wardancers underwhelming and they give you incentive to Mulligan those through other means. Personally, I'd make the Vrihedd Officers just a 9 strength card without it boosting. The point of the card is to improve your hand and trigger Mulligan synergies, but it loses its purpose when you have to choose between points and a good hand.
  • It'd be nice to see a Silver that Mulligans. Ves is really useful in Northern Realms (I use her in my "Temeria" deck, in which I have a lot of thinning cards).
Malena's current ability is crap, so why not make her a cool Mulligan card? Maybe replace the Mulliganned card with a non-gold special card of your choice from your deck?

Schirrú should Mulligan the card instead of transforming it in my opinion. People might argue that they like it being secret whether or not you choose to get the Scorch, but you usually know whether or not your opponent is going to transform the card anyway, and I'd prefer if it had the Mulligan synergies. Also, he should be immune to his own Scorch but that's another story.

I'm kind of the other way around. First I wasn't a fan of the change to the Officer, but the more I thought about it, the more I came to like it.

Before you could mulligan the weak card with bonus, get a strong card and a big body. You ended up getting everything. With the change you get to choose between a good body or synergy + better hand. I think the latter is more balanced.

That said, nerfing the points to 4 sort of killed it. That's where they went to far if you ask me.

It's not even that the officers nerfed which seem overkill. I thought it was fine but then the nerfs didn't stop at that, they went through and destroyed the rest of the archetype. Like 5 key pieces in my deck.

mulligan was OP, i once hit 30points scorch and still losed the round.
:eredinfacepalm:

Vrijhedd officer made a pure mulligan deck possible cause it is both a mulligan card and a finisher, so you get a load of points and work towards a perfect hand.
Pure mulligan decks have to little variance compared to other archetypes and are imbalanced by definition, so the nerf is ok I think. The card will have its uses as a niche card, put 1 and 2 in your deck for mulligan purpose only can stil be ok (ish).

Dont forget Sarah.They finally changed her to synergize with mulligan as well.Now Malena doesnt see much play in movement,mainly because you can row stack enemy units even without her,id like to change her as well.Commando Neophyte also seems a bit useless now compared to Mangonels,ships,the Fransesca change is meh for me.

Top Bottom