What do you like about gwent.

+

Guest 4021160

What do you like about gwent.

Read gwent forum for some time.
Realised this: salty threads take majority of this forum.
I admit I am guilty of this as well.
The positive communication is often limited to redpoints.
So here goes the inevitably doomed attempt to get some positivity out in the forum.
Please let us know what you like about Gwent. Give developers some ground to stand on and direction to pursuit, don't just let them dangle awhile.
AT will strike you for salty posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4021160

1. I like CDPR doesnt spoil the books. And in most cases community does not as well.
2. The people behind card artwork of characters probably read descriptions in the books hundreds of times. Everyone (perhaps with exception of dijkstra) is exactly how I imagined they look like.
3. I love CDPR's attention to details and ability to portray characters.
You don't need to be brilliant to understand a person in dandelions card is a bit cocky.
Or how the angle in dijkstra's card shows the character is "above" things.
4. I like how little cards can be damn impactful in certain situations in gwent.
5. Most of all I like how much more vast witcher universe is and the huge potential this card game has.
6. The fans of gwent are super creative. Fans creating music, card art, pictures. A big round of applause to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a list, in no particular order:

1. The concept: I like all kinds of games, card games included. It's nice to be able to play a multiplayer card game online, as I rarely have the chance to do so IRL.
2. The world it's set in. Need I say more?
3. The card art; the "regular" cards are really pretty, and the premiums can be downright stunning.
4. The game goal; I find it's more fun to win by scoring points than by destroying opponent's units/cards.
5. The fact that while fairly easy to learn, Gwent is difficult to thoroughly master.
6. The variety of factions, archetypes and cards.
7. The community.
8. Last but not least, the updates and support that the game is receiving. Of course we're still in the beta phase, but I have no doubt CDPR will keep up the good work after the game is officially released.

That should be all of the main reasons.

PS. Positive threads like this one are always appreciated. :)

I'm fairly new to the CCG genre. I've played a bit of Hearthstone and Elder Scrolls: Legends but got bored of them quickly.

Gwent is the first CCG to actually grip me and I think this is due to a number of factors:

- Gwent seems more complex and varied than the games I've mentioned above, cards seem to interact with each other in many and sometimes unexpected ways. It's a game that compels you to experiment with it as much as you can. I'm not very familiar with CCG terminology and whatnot, so I'm trying to explain things the best I can. All I'm saying is, I didn't get this feeling of complexity when I was playing those other games.

- Gwent seems to rely less on RNG than the other games I've played.

- Gwent is far more generous with its rewards.

- It's inspired by The Witcher Universe. Nuff said.

- The artwork is fantastic. Sometimes I flip through my collection and look closely at the cards to see if I can spot any easter eggs and hidden details.

All in all, this game is awesome and It's still in Beta, so it can only get better.

Nothing. I don't even like Witcher. I post here ironically.

I actually don't care about CCGs and I never played one before this. I like it because it uses the Witcher universe and has some incredible art. It's also not a bad game.

It's a card game, based on computer games by CDPR, based on Sapkowski's books... I mean, add a movie written by Joss Wedon, and you pretty much described heaven...

But to be more specific-
the ambiance is completely taken from TW3- you can totally feel yourself sitting in a tavern smashing a mug of frothy ale in frustration at a bad draw...

the characters ​​​​​​and creatures taken from the books and games- yet another way of having The Witcher world brought to life with us in the middle

the mechanics weather, consume, resurrect, spy, armor, reveal, control, ambush... Soooo many choices! Now, this aspect of the game still needs a lot of work since many of these mechanics are either far from balanced or not yet explored enough, making a deck built around them either impossible to win with, or extremely restrictive. But the potential with all these archetypes is immense, and I think with time, balance and adding new cards this game could have dozens of builds even the devs haven't thought of yet.

no chat options oh, I can sense many of yous sharpening your pitchforks, but this is just my personal opinion, and I've read enough around these forums to know that I'm part of a minority, but am not alone: I like not having to deal with another human being on the other side. they may be nice, we may have a ton in common, but they also may be someone who's entire self esteem is built around how much they can annoy someone else online. I deal with people at work all day long, I love that my computer doesn't require me to smile or asks how my day was.

the artwork is so beautiful and so fitting this actually happened to me: (kinda book spoiler ahead)
I'm reading Sword of Destiny for the first time, and i read a description of a character. Even before I knew her name, just by the way she looks and acts I knew it's Braenn. That's how amazingly they captured her in the card

​​​​​​the dedication of CDPR to both their customers and their products is unrivaled in this industry. Of course there's room for improvement: that's why we're in beta, and i for one think it's a real pleasure to be part of the growing, changing process that is gwent.

I like the Witcher universe: the games, the books. I never played online...nothing. But Gwent was gorgeous in The Witcher 3 and I said myself: It's time to go online. And play this game is fun...

1. I like to collect things.
2. CDPR made me love the Witcher series with their amazing work and now everything related to the Witcher's world have my attention :D
3. Comparing it to other card games I've played, I find Gwent much more complex to master, it relies less on RNG and when you lose a match most of the times you can tell the reasons why and even point the flaws in your play. IMO it makes the gaming experience much more satisfying when you know you could have won a match if you played it differently and that you didn't lose it solely because you didn't draw that specific card.
4. I like strategy turn based games like chess and Gwent is this kind of game. It doesn't put you into much stress related to time, on the contrary it gives you enough of it so you can think through your actions.
5. The artwork is amazing - Common sense.
6. It's very generous on rewards. It does it so I can even predict how many days I have to play to get a full collection. For a premium collection tho I'll have to spend some coin, but that's fair for me and I certainly will.

Last edited:
Yay for positive things! :)

So, here is my opinion:

I love everything about Witcher, the books, the games and of course, Gwent. This is CDPR game, and CDPR is awesome :)
Card art is really amazing. I think that I will never get bored of just looking at those beautiful animated cards. I can spend a lot of time in deck builder and collection, just enjoying the view.
I'm not an online player, but I made exception for Gwent. This game is very friendly to us non-onliners.
Shop Troll.
Experimenting with different decks and cards. And yes, I do lose a lot, but I still find these experiments fun!
Monster music!

Playing several CCGs over the years (MTGathering being the most) it was only natural I gravitated towards gwent.

- The game mechanics : The combination of simplicity, bluffing and row mechanics. It was just very unique and a breath of fresh air for a card game.

- Art work, details and text : The art from both the video game and the standalone are amazing. The first time you read the description "Poor F***ing Infantry couldn't help but laugh. The careful quotes they pick to represent the cards. I would love to see cdpr do a throwback or get the art into the standalone.

- Music: From the upbeat to the intense matches, the music always complements. 10x better when buzzed.

- The universe : When I don't have time to resume my new game + but just enough time to play a round or two. You get to experience the witcher world in a compact version. To see your favorite characters, monsters and/or events. There's always that connection.

- Characters not in the video game : It was a lot of fun to read about them in the books/novels and how they translated them into the card game.

What i love about the game is how different it is compared to other card games and how bendable the general deck building rules are. A deck with 40 cards for example is better than a deck with 25 even though 25 is the lowest required amount. Just amazing^^ If you want to have proof here you go :D https://youtu.be/00CxLS1T0IU

Raunbjorn

OP just made this thread to get some cheap redpoints :p

In all seriousness what I like about the game is the game itself, the art, the music and that there is a story behind the cards/characters which makes the universe a lot more interesting.

I love Gwent. It is not a perfect game by any means, but in spite of what people say in other threads, the good outweighs the bad by far.

For one, the game is very generous in how it allows players to collect cards. Ive only played the game since late June, and I have almost 4 complete factions and all but a few of the neutral golds--this after originally milling three factions down to zero, including leaders. If I had been smart, I'd probably have the entire collection by now. Granted I do play a lot, but its nice to know that my hard work leads to tangible results such as getting that new gold card to better tweak a deck.

The artwork is leaps and bounds ahead of any other CCG out there. Sure MTG has some nice artwork as well, but the inconsistency between artists is almost laughable at times, for example, having a really menacing creature played beside a cartoonish looking fairy. Gwent uses several artists as well but the look is realistic across the board, and the 3D premiums are amazing. I love transmuting cards to see the difference. I get to hear the audio as well.

The strategy and variety of cards is in a class of its own. Ok, maybe MTG has a leg up on CDPR, but considering how young the game is, and what can be done with the existing card pool, the game is incredible. So many people whine because not every archetype works, but meme decks are fun in their own right and there is still time to flesh them out. I just wish people would be more appreciative and give CDPR a chance.

The frequency of patches and fixes is outstanding. At least once a month. People complain because it shifts the balance, but if that werent the case, we would have the same dominant decks since the beginning which would be boring. Patches keep the game fresh and interesting, and they will bring more cards in the future.

These are all things that other posters have touched on. So its easy to see we have a good thing here, haters be damned.

Long live Gwent!

I like the theme and the incorporation of the theme into the art. The game has a very different aesthetic or artistic feel from other games.

I like the 2 out of 3 mechanic a LOT.

The most beautiful cards I see in a card game.

Games don't take too long.

Very generous. 1-3 packs per day instant of grinding in other games. A lot of reward (season, rank, tournament) I really hope they still earn enough money with that system.

I really like the gameplay. It feels like a gentleman game instant of killing everything on the enemy's side or drop the hp from the opponent. It gives me the feeling of being a commander on a battlefield.

Most important thing, the dev team really work hard on it with heart and soul. I mean look the premium animated cards! It's beautiful and takes a lot of work to make. Most other companies don't bother with the design. They just make a normal version and give it some shining effects. But not Gwent. Full animated card.

Keep up the good work and tell us if you need help or support Team Gwent.

Raunbjorn

PandaLin;n9498751 said:
The most beautiful cards I see in a card game.

I really hope they still earn enough money with that system.

Oh they do ;)

What I love about Gwent:

1. Unique gameplay: I haven't played the Witcher 3 so Gwent was a completely new experience for me, every other ccg has mana, "face" damage etc. except Gwent which makes the game unique among the plethora of online CCG
2. Mature art: I do not have a problem againts cartoonish art (HS, TES:Legends) pixel art (Duelyst) or even anime style drawings (Shadowverse)but the mature art of Gwent was a welcome change for me after playing these other CCGs
3. Generosity: It is incredible how generous this game is compared to the other popular CCGs. Sometimes I honestly feel bad about pulling a gold every 10th pack when you can easily earn 2-3 packs a day thanks to the awesome daily quest design.
4. The daily quest design is awesome: As someone who only focuses on 1 faction in every CCG, I can't tell you how grateful I am about Gwents daily quests. I am not forced to play a faction I do not like, not forced to modify my deck to play x spells/actions etc, I can just play/experiment with my favorite decks and earn rewards.
5. Every creature has multiple lines: This is arguably a little thing, but I just love that the devs took the effort and recorded multiple lines for each creature card.

1) Animated card
2) The mechanism which require us to prepare, bluff and think a lot. Unlike other game where we can draw card and spam card.
3) I can craft card, even premium legendary
4) Upcoming unique single player campaign

Top Bottom