Scoiateal Spell deck inconsistencies

+
Scoiateal Spell deck inconsistencies

I love scoia, but since I never play them in ranked, (cuz I always experiment with crazy hybrid ideas) I don't really comment too much about their specific builds. But now with the hotfix out, I feel there are a few things out there that just make no sense, and while the mood of certain faction players is often soured with the smallest nerf, causing an avalanche of whining, Scoia players just go ''ooh! New challenge! Let's make 16 new decks'' and we don't really hear from them too much.
So here's what I don't get:
Sage banishing the special card​​​- why? Freya doesn't have a ''1 time only'' clause on the unit it resurrects. In fact, many times the more you resurrect the same unit, the stronger it becomes. So why is it ok for a PoF to bring out the same bronze card at 9str, then at 13 str, then at 16 str, while a sage can only resurrect his 8str swallow potion once?
Ithlinne restrictions vs. Nature's Gift Ithlinne- the good news: you get to choose a card, then play it twice. The bed news: it takes up a gold slot, gives you only 2 strength, and choice is restricted to a bronze spell or weather (no organic, no tactic, no alchemy, no silvers) While there's a silver card that lets you pick any bronze or silver special card from your deck. Yeah, you only play it once, but does that (+2 points on the board) really balance out when you compare the two?

I don't think such restrictions make sense when you look at the broader picture...

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Ithlinne cannot be compared to Nature's Gift. You do have a point with the Sage, though. But then again, different factions, different rules. Like NR needs to use a Gold card to ress units, while SK can use Silver/Bronze cards.

4RM3D;n9501641 said:
Ithlinne cannot be compared to Nature's Gift.
Can you elaborate?
You do have a point with the Sage, though. But then again, different factions, different rules. Like NR needs to use a Gold card to ress units, while SK can use Silver/Bronze cards.
True. Different factions have different mechanics and different restrictions. But there's usually a measure of consistency in the path taken by the devs: NR needs a gold card to resurrect a unit, but they've had other archetypes added to them that fit them and no other faction has. The devs did choose to add sage as a bronze unit to Scoiateal- a faction that always had special cards as one of its strong points, so if you do give them the ability to res special cards, why limit them by banishing the card? I mean, we're talking about your regular bronze specials.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
ArianeGrosmont;n9501881 said:
Can you elaborate?

Before comparing those two, I want to point out that having similar options across all rarities can strengthen certain archetypes, like Scoia'spell, even if they aren't all as strong. Also, these silver and gold cards that play another card from your deck (e.g. Stennis, Vesemir) are actually pretty boring because they don't really feel unique. Nature's Gift, just like Monster's Nest also fit the criteria. Ithlinne actually adds some spice to it by allowing you to copy the spell. That's why you cannot use Silver specials. The bronze spell restriction might be a bit unnecessary, though. In the end, Ithlinne is just another tool for the spell deck, but it server a different purpose than Nature's Gift.

Try filter spell text in your collection. The only good bronze spell is alzur thunder. That's why St suck right now.

Sage didn't banish cards before the hotfix. CDPR specifically changed that to bring the cards power level down. The short answer for Ithlinne is yes, that would be completely busted. If she could play silver cards she would be run in literally every single deck. There doesn't really seem to be a good reason for not letting it pull some bronze special cards though. The only thing I can think of is that CDPR wanted to prevent people from playing two adrenaline rushes as they seem to have wanted to hit all carryover pretty hard this patch. Really the problem is not that Ithlinne is bad per-say, it's that she is completely dependent on how good bronze spells are and since CDPR has pretty much only buffed minions while leaving nerfing or leaving spells at the same power level there's less reason to play her. It seems likely that they will tune up spells next patch after over-nerfing some this one and she'll see more play if they do that.

Ecceptor;n9502191 said:
Try filter spell text in your collection. The only good bronze spell is alzur thunder. That's why St suck right now.
She was fun with Tremors before the nerf. She'd kill herself, but if there was a 1 power unit somewhere on the board, you'd get 2 golems (12 power with 8 carry over).

She can also be used with Quen Sign. But Epidemic is crap with her. Thunder is probably the best bet.

Her restriction to just spell and weather makes her an o.k. card, not great. CDPR seems to either overbuff or overnerf cards, never in between. They can't make up their minds at all due to what I can only assume is poor team of internal testers/card designer. Ithlinne has gone from loyal to disloyal and back. Their way of seeing how something is broken is by looking at the number of people playing a specific card and assumes because everyone plays it in their deck that it must be broken. It never occurred to them that people put such cards in their deck because they offer a lot of utility, which makes the card balanced rather than broken.

Ramcius;n9504841 said:
difference between Freya and Sage is that for Freya to resurrect unit must die, while spells were used several times in same turn

Good one!

:hatsoff:

It's all a bit messy. To nerf a card (SAGE Within a week ) of being released it is a bit embarrassing. I think they pandered to the whims of p2w players who had invested in the (at the time) meta decks SK/Monsters.
I have previously stated to someone on here privately that you can't just bow down when the men with pitchforks start rising up. Be smart about what you release, not reactive.

A wonderful game but sadly ST were only allowed to reign for a short time. Unless of course. You p2w. I'm seeing a ton of level 13 rank 12 players on casual. No idea what it's like in the lofty regions of above 3000.

One can only dream of reaching such lofty goals without copying a youtube deck. BORING! haha

I should add. GWENT is not my life's work. But it is still one of the games I currently play.

Top Bottom