Ethnic Characters

+
Ethnic Characters

Are there any in Gwent? I don't really care or think it's an issue at all, I'm just curious. LOL

DRK3

Forum veteran
cajsoccer;n9513921 said:
Are there any in Gwent? I don't really care or think it's an issue at all, I'm just curious. LOL

If you mean people with dark skin, in Gwent there's still none, but they should add the Offieri from Witcher 3's first DLC. Specially that cr... that mage that drained all your money for supposedly amazing runes...

Most look rather Eastern European, and that's ethnic, isn't it? Are Elves ethnic? What about Dwarfs? If Monsters aren't ethnic, I don't know what is.

cajsoccer;n9513921 said:
I don't really care or think it's an issue at all, I'm just curious. LOL
Also, why LOL? What's funny about your statement that you should be laughing?

TheShift;n9514711 said:
There was a discussion (if I remember correctly) back in the closed beta about this very thing

it too ended bad. (I think)

let's leave political correctness out of a not real fantasy game.shall we?
The North remembers...

You should be more clear about what you mean by "Ethnic characters."

In Gwent Northern Realms = England, Whales, Scotland
Skellige = Sweden, Finland, Norway
Nilfgaard = Germany, Austria
Scoia'Tael = ?????
Monsters = ?????

I assume you meant nonwhite ethnicities. In which case, I expect Ofeir to be the next faction in Gwent. Ofeir = India

DannyGuy;n9515411 said:

Scoia'Tael = ?????
Monsters = ?????

I assume you meant nonwhite ethnicities. In which case, I expect Ofeir to be the next faction in Gwent. Ofeir = India
Actually, a lot of it is mixed up, culturally and whatnot. For example: Cahir aep Ceallach is Breton but Voorhis speaks with a German accent. Ciaran and Eithne are Celtic/Irish. Also, Skellige druids...can you imagine a Norse druid? As for Dwarves, well... adding Scottish accent doesn't change anything :p

HenryGrosmont;n9515531 said:
As for Dwarves, well... adding Scottish accent doesn't change anything.
Ay, they're still hardy fighters, with a taste for drink, an inclination to be quarrelsome, and an extensive knowledge of mining and demolition.

As for Norse druids, it's rather an amusing notion -- particularly the hats.

mishant;n9515861 said:
Dont feed the "Ethnic" trolls
I'm not trolling, I was just curious if there were non-white Gwent characters. I guess referring to them as "ethnic" was not the right way to go about asking.

DannyGuy;n9515411 said:

I must respectfully disagree with this. I see no connection between Skelligers and us Finns. Maybe those who live in Åland, but that's it. :)

And to keep this post more on topic, I will say that I'm interested to see whether any Ofieri characters get their own Gwent cards. Really liked most of those guys in Wild Hunt, so I definitely hope so.

Moderator: Civil questions and civil responses are welcome. Insults and accusations are not. Two posts deleted. Play nicely, friends.

This is a good article about the subject: Should 'The Witcher 3' Feature More People Of Color?

Some quotes...

But not all fantasy games are the same (and nor are all fantasy books, shows, etc.) While some go for high magic and high fantasy where anything is possible, others go for "Medieval realism" or "gritty Medieval realism." This particular genre tends to focus on creating a believable Medieval world with the addition of fantasy elements.

Game of Thrones is one such world. Westeros is decidedly white. You have to travel East to find people of color.

If Westeros or the Northern Kingdoms in The Witcher 3 were super diverse, they would no longer be a reflection of Medieval Europe, and something would be lost, including an opportunity to make race in these stories meaningful.

If an African game designer or author created a story about tribal Africa---or a fantasy based on tribal Africa---and then peopled it with white people and Asians and Native Americans, it would lose its sense of place (...)

DannyGuy;n9515411 said:

Scoia'Tael = ?????
Monsters = ?????

Culturally and politically, Nilfgaard always reminds me of the Roman Empire. The names and language do seem mostly German, yes, with some Dutch and occasional French.

Top Bottom