How hard is it to get to rank 17-18?

+
How hard is it to get to rank 17-18?

The reason I'm asking is because I've seen a lot of random streams of people at that level and they just don't play that well. Even as a casual player I'd constantly think "I wouldn't have done that".

I got to rank 11 last season and stopped playing, even though ranking up wasn't that hard at that point. I wanted to go for 15 but just lost interest.

New season, same goals. But from what I've seen it's not hard at all but I wanted opinions from people with ladder experience.

Last edited:
That's more or less when it starts becoming a challenge, but, yeah, getting to 17-18 isn't hard:
1. The MMR penalty for losing is laughable, meaning you can advance with a very low winrate
2. Because of ^this^ your competition is, as you've deduced, many time not that hard to beat.

Just wondering, though: why is that your goal?

Guest 3913520

^ this. When I started playing ranked last season the setback for losing a match was way bigger. No I'll lose around 3 on average (currently rank 10).
On the bright side, for some reason I'm doing better on ranked than I usually do on casual. I'm not compaining since it's easier to get more cards like this.

Just use it as a milestone, as that's when you get the cardsharp title. Not that much into ranked, so going further isn't that big of a goal.

As Ariane pointed out, the penalty for losing is minimal.
Even if you lose way more often than you win, you'll eventually get to rank 17. It will just take a bit longer.

As for the challenge: depends on what deck you play. The thing is that the majority of the opponents around rank 15 seem to be NR these days. For some matchups that's good, for others it may not be. Winning doesn't seem to be that much harder as it was rank 11 and the challenge is probably kind of comparable to casual (although I'm losing more often in casual than in ranked).

Last edited:
depends on your luck. do you get a stronger card than your opponent from RNG in the 3rd match on a 1v1 card stand out? you just need luck to rank up

I'm still stuck at 14, which is around 2500. I win one match then lose 3 matches, this keep repeating again and again and again *drum*

Snake_Foxhounder;n9562501 said:
The reason I'm asking is because I've seen a lot of random streams of people at that level and they just don't play that well. Even as a casual player I'd constantly think "I wouldn't have done that".

I got to rank 11 last season and stopped playing, even though ranking up wasn't that hard at that point. I wanted to go for 15 but just lost interest.

New season, same goals. But from what I've seen it's not hard at all but I wanted opinions from people with ladder experience.

Very difficult question to answer because it depends on everyone's level and ability to build a deck that's reliable (unless you're doing some netdecking obviously).
For me personally Rank 17-18 is very easy to get. No real challenge before Rank 19-20.

It just take some time. I'm not a student anymore and have very little time to play compared to some other peoples (plse notice that I'm not criticizing them, I'm just making an observation) so it takes me quiet a long time to get to the highest Ranks (pretty much the whole season) because even if I score some big win streaks you need quiet a few points to Rank up past a certain Rank (I wanted to avoid saying "rank" again but it was that or repeating the word "point" lol).

By the way, I think it would be an interesting feature to add to the game, a points bonus proportional to your win streak. The more you win without losing the more points you get. Maybe it's already a thing but if so, it's not big enough.

All in all, the fact that most players are netdecking the "best" deck of the moment makes the experience easier. a/ Because you mostly play against the same deck and therefore can tech against it without compromising your progression and b/ Because a lot of those players are actually not that good and are making progress just because of the power of the deck they're playing. I crossed some R19 players doing very big mistakes considering their supposed skill level.

Last edited:
Ugh... it's a hassle to go even over 18 for me. My problem is (besides that I am perhaps an average player), I like to have fun with the game and if I stride to go up, I have to play a certain deck with a certain pattern that gets BORING after few games, like, literally you have to do the same thing every time: this card, that card, resurrect, pull it back, buff, replay... it's just BORING. I would love to get a new cool border and etc., but it's just so annoying. Or you just reach the next rank with the tip of your finger and BANG - take this losing streak cause of horrendous draws, or you misplay something because you are tired or pissed or all of those.

I find the game way more fun in casual where you meet different decks and you can also play a deck with cards you like and are having fun playing, but you can't in Ranked, cause you'll get rekt.

Thus said, I think the grind to go to R20 is ridiculous there at the end. Often you lose more MMR than when you are winning and it is a huge gap that happens in the spam of just one rank. It's so annoying...

I think win streaks should not be added to the game. What if you get lucky and play against a deck that is hard countered by your deck, and it happens several times in a row?

Went for my dailies but in ranked, this time. Won 3 games with ease. Ranked, at lower ranks, seems to be more enjoyable than casual. There's a bit more diversity.

That being said, people who netdeck in lower ranks can't really pilot their decks well. They'll spam gold weathers but you can outplay them. Take down one card they play in order and they get confused because a website told them to to play cards in a particular order.

I'm pretty confident in using my Nilfgaard spy deck. It takes setup, takes some forethought to set up plays but I got used to it. Got about 250 wins with NG, 3 with MO and nothing else. :)

It's just that NG doesn't have tempo, so needed in today's meta.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Like it's been said, getting into higher Ranks is really easy, i dont know what's the point of having 21 ranks if from rank 1-12 is only the players who dont play ranked, then rank 13-18 everyone can get if you play ranked long enough, then only last 3 ranks actually diferentiate skill.

I never get to higher ranks because i stress out when i know i got something to lose, and end up playing casual more, even if i have a higher than 50%winrate with almost all of my decks so i would still be climbing.

Besides, i find more filthy netdeckers on ranked, my best matches are against higher ranked players i find in casual, some even top 500/1000.

i need some help for lvl 18 if anyone is willing to offer. that is the only level i care about because i'm a casual player who uses ranked for gaining resources. i can't seem to get that final 150-200 points as i keep running into various decks that cause losing streaks in diff ways.

i mainly use custom decks, rad armor, but with all the redanian army cards, a homebrew dagon hybrid and weather (1 gold, 1 silver) spies.

i want 18 so as i can do crazy stuff in casual (cow deck, couple ideas with yennefer, and a custom emhyr non mill thing i have an idea for) where i don't care about winning/losing, just want to have fun.

i tried netdecking henselt, but that didn't work out as the henselt target keeps getting shut down before he comes out. can't do anything SK as don't have the cards for any decent build. same with latest spell ST (btw, the person who came up with that cancer deck and posted it for netdeckers needs to walk naked in the streets ala cersi from GOT).

i guess i need help with a deck that will get me the final points i need please.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Cardzilla Yeah, your comment reminded me i talked trash of ranked mode but didnt even mention why i bother playing it - those sweet rank up rewards...

Before Ranked, i would open 2/3 kegs a day tops (bought with ore). Now getting like 5 or 6 kegs at a time (or some other decent reward) for just some rank up, it's like Xmas everytime! And i dont even want anymore Legendaries, but i'll be damned if i dont go hyper when i get a new one...

I just started playing gwent 2 weeks ago, it took me 5 or 6 days to go to rank 15 with the deck i built from cards i got from kegs. ( I stop at 42 rounds won a day for maximum daily rewards)

After that i spent 1000 scraps to craft zoltan and hailstorm ( have been playing Scoiatael only since begin ) to go rank 18 in 1 or 2 days because it's very hard to deal with northern realm with free cards only.

So it was like 1 week to rank 18, after that i have been playing casual only for daily rewards because rank game last longer, took more effort and rank rewards at higher rank dont interest me. Ultil i saw top 1000 could get beautiful avatar i spent scraps to craft some gold and silver cards and went to rank 20.

You probably have bigger collection than mine so it could be easier for you i to get to rank 18 i guess.

Top Bottom