Northern Realms - The RNG Faction

+
Northern Realms - The RNG Faction

Anyone else with me here? I've taken up on playing Northern Realms lately since I just want to reach rank 20 and then play meme decks.

However one thing I've noticed is that most if not all of my games pretty much end up based on RNG. Does DJ pull the right cards? Does Phillipa hit the right enemy?

RNG stuffs like that tends to decide the game pretty much all the time for me. Last night I was about to get a 1st round beating and DJ just got the right stuffs for me to swing the tables completely. And my last game I had Shani and Phillipa left in my deck. All I needed was for Phillipa to not kill DJ and I would have won. All RNG.

After playing with the faction the last few days, and having played quite a few games of the other factions as well, I just can't get away from the fact that RNG is deciding way too many games when I play with NR. For good and bad that is.

Or maybe it's just my deck that relies too much on RNG cards, but still, no other faction lets you build a deck that a lot of the time is decided entirely by RNG.

After you will play some more you will understand the rigging level Gwent reached after last patch. RNG - Rigged Number Generator is deciding the fate of any game. No more strategies, no more tactics...just clicking. The winner is the one getting the best cards, courtesy of RNG mechanics. I am (still) playing few games per day and I am more and more bored. Same decks same cards played in same order ... some of them cards are like stuck in every starting hand of their respective deck types.

Why this game needed RNG? Can you name any reason other than to control it? They could have implemented the luck factor, but totally under players decision. Like say an assassin card to kill a unit in the other player hand. Only than one could say "I was / you were luckier". In this current game form the reality is that "I was / you were more favored by game mechanics".

I wonder how long it will take until more players will note that matchmaking and drawing system are both heavily rigged. For what purpose? You will see....

Stormbuster;n9580731 said:
Only than one could say "I was / you were luckier". In this current game form the reality is that "I was / you were more favored by game mechanics".

What exactly is the difference between RNG and the 'luck factor'?

There is also the Field Medic, the Temerian Drummer, Priscilla and Odrin. And furthermore the card draw because their exist quite many cards you don't want to have in your hand at all.
But I guess what makes the tactics complicated is that you have to plan with them and make probability decisions or influence the probabilities like waiting with Dijkstra for the last cards so you know what you get, or preparing the board, such that their can't be a negative outcome from playing Dijkstra.

But Dijkstra pulling only loyal units would be an improvent, because the Dijkstra draws Thaler combi is pretty bad for the player.

Looking at the number of cards per deck and the amount of thinning NR has, it's not any worse than NG and their spy draws.

Last edited:
FG15-ISH7EG;n9580891 said:
... Dijkstra pulling only loyal units would be an improvent, because the Dijkstra draws Thaler combi is pretty bad for the player.

Yeah, but than make him 7 STR Disloyal - that'll kinda work.

First of all RNG can be controlled, or at least limited when you play cards at the correct time with the correct deck. For example, Dwarven Agitator spawns a random bronze dwarf. But if you only have one type of dwarf in your deck, it ain't random. For Philippa, using her early, when there are fewer units on the board, can be a good move to reduce randomness. For Dijkstra, you actually want to play him as late as possible, to make sure you don't pull any bad cards. While, CCG are inherently RNG and Gwent also has these factors, you can still work around most of them and give you a decent chance.

And secondly, certain cards are already potentially very strong, e.g. Stennis. So they need the random element to keep them in check, which hasn't stopped NR from dominating the game.

Rayquorz;n9580861 said:
What exactly is the difference between RNG and the 'luck factor'?

If R from RNG would have meant "random", no difference. In my opinion, in the actual version of Gwent random is not the correct word defining the R.

I've been playing with NR since the beginning of closed beta. It's usually very reliable.

Cards like Odrin may have often have a RNG component (unless you tend to have a similar amount of units on each row of your side of the board) but you don't have to play them.

For most of the time Philippa is kind of reliable - you just need to be careful what unit you hit first. And of course, the more units the more difficult it gets to hit certain units.

The problem with Dijkstra IMO isn't so much the RNG (you can improve the odds a lot by good deck thinning) but the fact that he can even draw golds, card advantage spies and powerful specials like Commanders horn - that obviously can lead to unpredictable power swings and IMO is a clear balancing problem.

Field medics kind of depend on your deck building... personally I wouldn't want to run them in a deck with light cavalry and I don't like 40 cards decks. However, in a 25-30 decks there are not that many different bronze cards you can actually draw. So the odds are very manageable.

Well, Philippa isn't doing good job for me. Another awesome game, everything goes as planned and DJ into Philippa into two protectors. Ofcourse killing DJ, netting me like 4 points from DJ XD
Lost that game 4 points down.

While I do agree that RNG can be reduced by how you play, I still think Northern Realms is at the peak of RNG in this game. A lot of games is actually decided over RNG here. Especially due to the nice old DJ.

So why do people who feel wronged by Gwent's RNG still play Dijkstra? Why not replace him with Geralt? Solid 13 points, no RNG involved.

That's why i liked physical card games. No much RNG involved. There wasn't mechanic to hit random enemy (cause how to determine that). No random dmg number (cause how to applied it unless using dice). Those games was much more strategic. You knew what card will do what and you had control over what you hit, on what you play this card, etc.

Top Bottom