Merigolds Hailstorm Annoyance Discussion Vol. 2

+
Merigolds Hailstorm Annoyance Discussion Vol. 2

Unfortunately I accidentially deleted the old topic (sorry for the mistake). Please continue the discussion here.

Summing up: according to todays dev stream the card will only affect silver and bronze units after the upcoming patch, but other than that stay pretty much as we know it.

Last edited:
Ehh, you mean that Annoyance thread???
Either way does anyone know what is happening to the card this hotfix??? I somewhat missed it on stream.

Merigold Hailstorm will not affect gold cards anymore but other than that stay the same.

I'm not sure that will be enough but we'll see.

This feels like a buff to high value gold units more than a nerf to Merigold's Hailstorm. Feels like any decent player will just play around the fact either the enemy's Golds are so weak in strength or they're potential Igni/Scorch targets.

I don't think this nerf is nearly enough in long run but for a mid season nerf, it's a nice change.

Juuto;n9604431 said:
This feels like a buff to high value gold units more than a nerf to Merigold's Hailstorm. Feels like any decent player will just play around the fact either the enemy's Golds are so weak in strength or they're potential Igni/Scorch targets.

I don't think this nerf is nearly enough in long run but for a mid season nerf, it's a nice change.

At the same time we need to consider that there will also be more agile units, so it will be at least a bit tougher to line up many units.

Especially Heavy Cavalry used to be a great target and that will soon be agile.

We'll see.

devivre;n9604461 said:
At the same time we need to consider that there will also be more agile units, so it will be at least a bit tougher to line up many units.

Especially Heavy Cavalry used to be a great target and that will soon be agile.

We'll see.

True.

I think these changes may provide good information to CDPR on how they should handle Merigold's at the end of the season.

I am fairly certain this will not be enough to level the playing field with all the push and move mechanics available. I think this card is way too powerful and the damage done should also be rounded down

Very very disappointing.
Deck with dwarfes based entirely on halestorm finisher is 100% winrate (tried 4 times, 4 wins). I lost to Lifecoach several days ago, he used this deck.

I'd say problem is not only with halestorm, but with so many units which can move enemies, and they cant even do anything about it.
Lets count: zoltan (3), aard (3), dwarf (3), spawning dwarf (another 3), operator on dwarf (1), dorregaray with drowner (1).
so scoiatael can move 14 units into one line)))))))))

​​​​​​there is not enough counters to that. There is like non at all...

Celestes666;n9604821 said:
Very very disappointing.
Deck with dwarfes based entirely on halestorm finisher is 100% winrate (tried 4 times, 4 wins). I lost to Lifecoach several days ago, he used this deck.

A sample size of 4 is hardly evidence of anything. Were these ranked games? What tier? Play another 100 games with the deck and let me know your win rate then.

I'm not too thrilled about this change.
They made golds vulnerable and now slowly they start to add exceptions, scorch next?

Imo it's good that golds are non targetable by all cards. Scorch shouldnt affect golds as well :p

Silver card that is capable to be 50 points is unacceptable. You destroy my henselt reaver deck due to power swings but don't see this abomination of a card! please sort it out CDPR. Limit to 5 cards in a row... just do something. Thankfully igni and scorch is not a issue but this is.

Most of the time only ST can make Merigold a 30+ points silver cards, or maybe SK with harpoon but that deck doesnt synergy as well as ST with hailstorm. Rest of the time merigold becoming big is because opponents have riddiculous high tempo cards.

Henselt into siege support creates 19 points with potential of buffing 3 points to every unit spawned after that, or discard SK with 30 power bronze units, 26 power shani play etc..

If you played control vs control matchup, like vs weather deck, merigold can only deal like 10-15 points, which is OK for a silver.

And in the case of 30+ merigold in ST, one thing should be consider is other cards combing with merigold have less value, for ex zoltan becoming 11 point gold cards, doregaray drowner becomes 10 points silver cards, or dwagitator 9 points bronze etc,... In order to make merigold big, you must save lots of cards in your hand and most of the time in trouble catching up with opp. That makes round 1 and 2 vulnerable, you either has to sacrifice your merigold tools to get tempo, or has to use merigold earlier to save you from 0-2 and make lots of remaining cards next to useless.

If you let merigold user has a long rounds 3 ( dry pass round 2 for ex ) or play extremely high tempo cards with low agility or nothing to protect your units ( heal, shield etc, ... ) it is not merigold alone that makes it a godlike power swing.

The only case where if having merigold becomes unfair is when tempo vs tempo, but the chance of getting it just from drawing is same as getting a gold or another silver card, which could also make a big play.

Last edited:

Guest 4021160

Just played a game I lost, which I would have won after the coming patch. Just sharing ZERO NEGATIVITY.

I played monsters, opponent - skellige (the 2 golds weather deck). You know the drill, I try to killbanishploughfuckall his axemen, he tries to resurrect em. 3rd round, he placed 3 axemen as usual, I cleared the weather on melee and stacked everything I've got on the row (due to ragnarook). I lock his one axemen, figurine the other and prepared myself to succ the third. My opponent hailstorms my melee row (succ 4-2) and the herbalist into lacerate. literately bamboozled everything I've got on the board. Now IF merigolds hailstorm will not affect golds after this patch, I would have succed his 28str axemen and won the game.

And that's what I call the thin line between balance and bamboozle.

I will really try getting back on gwent after this patch, because I think I really stand a chance against today's meta while also keeping away from those decks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty worthless change. There's so many cards to reset a Gold that people will still spam Hailstorm. There should be a cap on the amount of point's it can hit for.

No one will receive a GG that uses this card. It's not healthy for the game and the people that use it know it.

Ok, I really do hope that people realise Merigold's Hailstorm is the only thing that checks the row stacking. And given the additional number of agile cards...

HenryGrosmont;n9612301 said:
Ok, I really do hope that people realise Merigold's Hailstorm is the only thing that checks the row stacking. And given the additional number of agile cards...

Dodged a bullet there, as the saying goes.

Top Bottom